ELK ELSEWHERE 28-Jan-16
Tack Driver 28-Jan-16
Tack Driver 28-Jan-16
Tack Driver 28-Jan-16
Drop Tine 29-Jan-16
blackwolf 29-Jan-16
FiveRs 01-Feb-16
28-Jan-16
In thinking along the same line as what year did you start bowhunting, how long did you bowhunt before you were successful?

I wounded/killed but never found a doe my second year. My first bow kill was my third season. It was a doe shot out of a platform screwed into a tree about 6 feet off the ground. It took me seven years before I was able to harvest a buck.

28-Jan-16
I was 14 (1982), and was using a borrowed Kodiak recurve (that was later given to me). I practiced a full summer with that thing, and was pretty stellar out to 15 yards. My first ever hunt in Lyndon Station with my brother in law who was 6 years my elder, I shot at a six pointer and missed. I was pretty dejected. I prayed to god to get another chance, and out of thin air, a fork horn appeared directly below me. I shot and hit it through the heart and watched it run to my BIL and fall over. He was so excited. It was the first bow kill he had seen. He was so proud of me, and I was hooked. He hadn't killed a deer himself, and from that point on, we just practiced a lot. He was successful two years later, and I was there. I was so proud of him. From that point on, I would suffer from deer fever every time a deer came in. I missed 27 times after that first ever deer on my first ever hunt. I would lose my focus, and wouldn't remember aiming. I finally got through that with some mental therapy, and it's been a pretty good run from there!

28-Jan-16
First bow hunt 1976 - first bow deer (spike buck) 1979. I killed 2 8pt (bow & gun) from the same tree this fall. My Buddy shot a 9pt with his bow from it this year too.

28-Jan-16
Three years for me and my first bow kill was a doe.

28-Jan-16
I was 12 yrs old and shot a nubbin on the last day of early season. I was sitting in the crotch of a tree about 8ft high. It took 7 yrs until I shot a nice buck, 18 inch 8ptr.

28-Jan-16
First year. Both Ruffed and Blue Grouse.

28-Jan-16
Started bowhunting in 1974, missed many deer the first 2 years. Harvested my first bow kill on October 1, 1976, my first bear, up by Star Lake. Back when you could shoot a bear on your Archery tag. Shot plenty of does, and my first legal buck with the bow in 1980. My first book buck in 1995. Still get fired up whenever any deer gets within range!

28-Jan-16
My first year. It was 1990. I shot all summer and got out on opening day. I saw a few deer but never closed the deal.

I hunted A LOT. I probably went 2-4 times a week from September to December.

I finally killed a fawn in December. I was so excited I jumped out of the tree stand...

28-Jan-16
Started in 1972 and have only had four seasons where I didn't shoot a deer with my bow...two while serving overseas 1986-1988, 2013 and 2014.

28-Jan-16
Basically, took me 10 years before my first Archery deer harvest. Missed a few and lost a spike by drilling it square in the shoulder. I remember the first few times I had Deer by me, I would shake so bad. One time I had one within 5 yds while on the ground and I couldn't even pull the bow back! Although my brother and a friend had a bow, I was pretty much self taught. My father and grandfather got me into hunting, but they only gun hunted. Steep learning curve when you're on your own.

28-Jan-16
My second season. Opening day 1968. 44# Bear Super Kodiak and Bear Razorhead. A 3pt. running at 20 yrds. Never have been that lucky before or since !

28-Jan-16
My first bowhunt for deer was in 1972. It wasn't until 1981 that I got my first one. Spined a little forker and then fell apart trying to finish it.

28-Jan-16
First day bow hunting in 83" I got a 7pt, I thought I was good. The 2nd year opening night I got an 8pt then thought I was great. Got harder after that.

28-Jan-16
2, seasons 73. Arrowed. A 8 pointer. Thought I was on cloud nine. Had a 2/10 board with v's cut in the end.s wedged in the crotch of a maple tree. Hunting on a fence row between a cornfield and alfalfa field. about thirty yards wide. 15yard shot. Oct 23. Remember it like yesterday. No fancy camo. Holiday green boots N a old flannel faded shirt.

28-Jan-16
2, seasons 73. Arrowed. A 8 pointer. Thought I was on cloud nine. Had a 2/10 board with v's cut in the end.s wedged in the crotch of a maple tree. Hunting on a fence row between a cornfield and alfalfa field. about thirty yards wide. 15yard shot. Oct 23. Remember it like yesterday. No fancy camo. Holiday green boots N a old flannel faded shirt.

28-Jan-16
2, seasons 73. Arrowed. A 8 pointer. Thought I was on cloud nine. Had a 2/10 board with v's cut in the end.s wedged in the crotch of a maple tree. Hunting on a fence row between a cornfield and alfalfa field. about thirty yards wide. 15yard shot. Oct 23. Remember it like yesterday. No fancy camo. Holiday green boots N a old flannel faded shirt. Next day Took it to parking archery gave me a dozen wooden hunting arrows still have them. Well said bow tech Every time I climb into a stand. It's a great feeling deer or no deer. Just the peacefulness. From being in the woods watching the wildlife / birds etc. once hooked always hooked!!!

29-Jan-16
Got a spike my first year bow hunting deer in 71. Total luck as it came walking down a trail I was hunting. Pulled back and let drive and hit right where I was looking. Right in the head just below the ear and horn.

My dad watched it all go down and just about flipped when the deer tipped over right there. Never seen him that excited. There was a quite a few misses after that. LOL

29-Jan-16
Started 1966 at age 12, forkhorn 1970 at age 16. Shot with Ben Pearson 40lb recurve.

01-Feb-16
Started in 85 and got my first deer in 91.

• Sitka Gear