Per48R 31-Jan-16
Swampy 01-Feb-16
Bloodtrail 02-Feb-16
Konk1 02-Feb-16
RutNut_@work 03-Feb-16
Jeff in MN 04-Feb-16
Tack Driver 04-Feb-16
30-Jan-16
What are some of the off the wall thing's you have done to draw deer in without bait . Some thing's I have done are banging rock's and grinding them together to call a buck in . Hanging used Kotex to draw buck's in . This a just a few of mine . What have you tried different .

30-Jan-16
Only thing I've done is used my mouth to call. I'm sure many have as well. Grunt or snort wheeze

30-Jan-16
I'm with you Grunter, tried that as well! Snort wheeze comes to mind!

I have moved tree limbs across trails to alter the usage as well - without much success! Ya know..the best laid plans..I guess!

30-Jan-16
I had a stand on a fence crossing, years ago, where there was a bit of a hole in a 5 strand barb wire fence...good spot!

A storm dropped a tree on it about 75 yards down from our nailed on stand. Deer being the fundamentally lazy, opportunistic little demons they are, abandoned my crossing for the easier route out of bow range.

After a couple frustrating sits, I cut the tree off the fence, stretched 5 strands of nylon cord "fence" accross the void, and tied down the wires where I wanted them to cross.

Bingo!!! Back in business :^)

I might add...the fence in question was between an old unused pasture and my hunting woods...so my actions didn't affect any farm stock or such.

30-Jan-16
Not to draw deer in, but keep them away for a bit.

Fantastic funnel location near some ag land by a bend in a creek. Perfect except the perfect tree wasn't perfect. It was squirrely. It had some weird bends that took a little extra time to navigate with my climber.

I was heading up the tree for an afternoon hunt, about eight feet off the ground, negotiating the twists and bends when I realized deer were moving early. They were piling into the nearby ag field, heading my way.

I did not want to get busted by the does, but didn't have enough time to get up the tree. And my bow was on the ground.

Out of desperation, I barked like a dog. There is a farm about 1/3 of a mile from there with some dogs.

It worked. The deer hung up in the ag field long enough for me to set up and then came right into the woods and followed the creek. But I still feel stupid saying that I barked like a dog.

31-Jan-16
As r a mentioned, deer take the path of least resistance. I will take a sprayer of roundup on a couple spots and kill the tall growing grass where I would like them to walk. Often after the first application in early summer they will beat the trail down so much it won't grow up again the next year.

31-Jan-16
Once hooked by bow on the brush below my stand. Tugged and tugged on my pull up rope to rattle the brush. Brought in a nice 8 point to within 10 yards. Didn't get a shot (for obvious reasons).

01-Feb-16
That's why I hang my antler's from a rope from my tree stand to the ground when I rattle .

02-Feb-16
Hang those antlers! Good idea - used it myself...makes a nice racket on the ground!

02-Feb-16
I put an old smelly boot on a deer trail heading to an alfalfa field and then sat in a stand that was about 80 yards away. Watched a doe group heading to the field on that trail stop dead in their tracks when they got a whiff. They turned around and headed back in the direction that they came from. About 30 minutes later that doe group came under my stand, at least I think it was the same group..2 doe and 3 fawns.

03-Feb-16
"That's why I hang my antler's from a rope from my tree stand to the ground when I rattle".

I've been doing this for about ten years now, it really makes rattling sequences more realistic. Rattling this way I have had more mature bucks respond more agressively.

04-Feb-16
Been doing antlers on the ground for a very long time. A squirrel showed me that trick down in Iowa. A buck was locked down with a doe about 100 yards from me. The squirrel made noises in dry leafs and that buck ran 70 yards to chase off the 'buck' that made the noise.

After the buck returned to his doe I tied my range finder to my haul line and made the same noise in the leafs. Buck came right to me on a run. When he stopped at 15 yards he was facing straight at me on full draw. I held forever. When he finally turned I was shaking so bad I missed.

I routinely make sure there are dry leafs under my stand for this purpose. You can be as gentile or as loud as you want with the antlers. When it is time to put them down and get ready just let go of the parachute cord. I tie the line between the G2 and the G1 with about 12" between the antlers. (cut the G1s off short to prevent tangling and allowing you to wrap the line between the G1 and G2 when done)

04-Feb-16
Been doing it for years sounds more realistic. And the Bucks. Love the sound of the leaves and the rattling!!

• Sitka Gear