Richm444 19-Feb-16
tobywon 19-Feb-16
spike78 19-Feb-16
Smoothdraw 20-Feb-16
notme 20-Feb-16
drslyr 21-Feb-16
BuckSkinner 21-Feb-16
03-Feb-16
My understanding is that yotes are essentially solitary.

I have never seen more than one at a time in real life or on camera.

Last few nights a bunch of them are whooping it up in the woods together. I have never heard this much activity.

They sound within 500 yards but I live by a lake so the sound may travel easier.

Any reports on population rates ?

03-Feb-16
Actually, Rich, they are mostly a pack animal and travel that way. Not all of the time obviously, but many times you will see two or more together. This time of the year though, you will notice more single solitary males because it is the breeding season. The whooping you heard is probably a re-gathering of the pack with the happy tones of a party because of a fresh kill.

03-Feb-16
yep to LB. Have heard that rackett a couple of times within 200yds of the house. In our case they caught a deer.. probably runnning close to the house thinking it secure.

03-Feb-16
Yup,heard it this past Christmas morning by Toyland..ruined a beautiful morning

03-Feb-16
Two weeks ago i saw a pair run. Right thru my yard

03-Feb-16
Coyotes are adaptable. Out west, they tend to be loners or in pairs; they'll raise their pups and then run them off, because ordinarily they need a good-sized territory to support the number of small critters that it takes to sustain them throughout the year.

But wherever they have a large, defensible food source - like a road-killed deer carcass, for example - they'll pack up to keep visiting loners away from the family's larder. And of course if they can kill their own, they'll defend that, too. Trouble is, the roadkills create the packs, and then the packs are capable of hunting their own large game, and then the legacy of being a widely-distributed, mostly solitary animal that relies heavily on smaller creatures may be getting lost. Especially if there's really anything to this whole coy-wolf hybridization stuff...

I sneaked in on a pack one time, out in CO during Elk season. They were howling SO INCREDIBLY LOUDLY that I actually decided that I would be better off just backing out and leaving them to it. I had really wanted to get one with my recurve, but the howling was powerful enough that I'd swear I could feel my own chest reverberating with it. Not the high-pitched stuff, either; this was deep-pitched, starting with the lowest voice and then some higher-pitched ones joined in....

It was very Primal. And very, very cool.

08-Feb-16

Richm444's Link
check out these yotes taking out a big buck

08-Feb-16

Richm444's Link
amazing video of mule deer herd fighting off pack of yotes

08-Feb-16
Trapped one last week got a surprise it was a 30 # female. Shot it in the neck and it went down quick but when I touched it's head it bit the end of my barrel boy was I glad it wasn't my hand.shot it again in the brain. Dead dog

15-Feb-16

Richm444's Link
Caught some audio last night - shortly after I turned on the lights they shut up

15-Feb-16

Richm444's Link
Caught some audio last night - shortly after I turned on the lights they shut up

15-Feb-16

BuckSkinner's embedded Photo
One down more to go!

16-Feb-16
great job buckskinner!!

16-Feb-16
Did Rich's audio work for anybody? I just got a loud, nasty buzzing noise.

Maybe after my phone updates?

18-Feb-16

Another one down!

18-Feb-16
As much as I despise those things for killing deer, that's one of the nicest 'yotes I've ever seen. Good shootin' Buck!

18-Feb-16
Thanks. Lung shot 65 yds .17 hollow points. I prefer 22-250 but they rip up pelts too much. Shot over half dozen with .17 all died within 40 yds.

18-Feb-16
BuckSkinner - that's a cool yote. I've never seen a blonde one like that before. What a neat looking animal!

18-Feb-16
Awesome BuckSkinner, nice color on that last one. Are you talking .17HMR, .17WMR or .17hornet?

18-Feb-16
buckskinner

that's about the best looking yote I've ever seen. very nice pelt,....except for the hole you put in it :)

Nice job.

18-Feb-16
That yellow is nice. I hunt 70 acres of private in killingly walk it all the other day not one deer in the snow all yotes. Only saw 4 deer there all last season.

18-Feb-16

GF's Link
Man, BuckSkinner - I sure hope you did something good with that pelt!!!

You guys who are getting 'em - let me know if you're in LFFC and have one or more you'd be willing to give away to a good home!

They're getting out-o'-control elsewhere, too...

http://fox8.com/2016/02/15/alpha-male-coyote-to-blame-for-macedonia-pet-attacks/

Funny link on that page.... One of the Anti groups suggests "hazing" methods including putting coins in a Sippy Cup and rattling it at them... Yeah, boy - there's nothing that a #45c predator fears more than a SippyCup!!!

And is it just me, or is that the world's worst-looking mount in that "file" photo??? ROFL

If I ever shot a coyote that looked like that, there's NO HEFFING WAY you'd get me to touch it!

18-Feb-16
Good looking dog bud.!!...what town did you get him in,I have one in the swamp I hunt that is that color..

18-Feb-16
Talk about scarry shi*. I had trapped a coyote. As i got closer it was HUGE! Thing was probably 65# or more. Clearly an alpha dog. I shot the dog and the thing didn't even flinch it got more pissed then ever and started really getting aggressive. Thing started growling and lunged at me. Couldn't reach me so it bit a stick and started biting the heck out of the thing and threw it. Second shot dog fliched but still was pissed and aggressive. Final shot took it out. I thought other shots were missing kill zone but once clear all shots would have been lethal. Maybe only thing connecticut is good for is growing huge coyotes.

18-Feb-16
Tobywon .17 HMR. Shot both in Tolland County

18-Feb-16
Buck, Are you calling them close? Does .17 hmr have enough power to knock them down consistently? I Private land? Sounds fun!

18-Feb-16
Buck, Are you calling them close? Does .17 hmr have enough power to knock them down consistently? I Private land? Sounds fun!

18-Feb-16
I am hunting over a scrap meat pile. I have never lost a coyote with a .17 HMR although I used to shoot the polymer tips and even in the snow they would not leave one drop of blood but would always be dead within 40 yds with a lung shot. I just switched to hollow points and now they leave a great blood trail. Private land

18-Feb-16
Had a big yellow yote pass in front of me yesterday on my Evening dog walk. About three houses up. This is in Newington. I live at the start of the cedar mountain ridge. We usually hear them whooping it up in the evenings, Every once and a while they come into the neighborhood. Then we see the "lost cat" signs on the poles.

19-Feb-16

Richm444's Link
Here is a video of one of my local yotes -

GF I don't know why my video is not playing for you - I put it on youtube and it seems like I can hear the yelping ok

once I turned the outside light on they shut up

19-Feb-16
Thanks for the info BuckSkinner. I think I'm using the same ammo or similar, CCI 20 gr game points.

19-Feb-16
Nice job, I hope your mounting the blonde yote? Now you have me interested in a 17 wsm.

20-Feb-16
Buck, Those pics have definitely stirred a lot of interest. I'm looking at .17 HMRs. What model do you shoot? Any recommendations? I didn't think they were powerful enough to take down coyotes so I never really considered them. I'd love to hear more about your setup. Are you hunting from a blind. What kind of scrap meats do you use? When do you hunt? Thanks for any info you can provide!!!!!

20-Feb-16

notme's embedded Photo
notme's embedded Photo
Found another at the swamp today..thats 7 since november...kill all yotes!!

21-Feb-16
I love the pure white arrow sticking out of his back leg buckskinner

21-Feb-16
Drslyr that's not an arrow. Just how my phone took the pic when it was snowing

• Sitka Gear