Jeff in MN 04-Feb-16
Konk1 05-Feb-16
MF 05-Feb-16
TRACKER66 05-Feb-16
Drop Tine 05-Feb-16
TheLama 05-Feb-16
FiveRs 05-Feb-16
03-Feb-16
Out in the woods for the last 3 days,,,,,,really,,,, guys and gals need that many ribbons to find their way around,,,,,, geesh, at least take them out with you..... all day long I pull ribbons.......... geesh, is it that hard to find your way in the woods.......

Ribbon warrior

03-Feb-16
Are you sure thats what the ribbons are for? You could have just undid a lot of effort by someone that works in the woods. You're just playing there. I can't tell you how many times some SOB has done it to me.

Even if they were from hunters, what gives you the right to screw up their hunt? Ribbons are biodegradable and aren't hurting anything.

03-Feb-16
first of all I know the difference between ribbons marked for logging, and junk all over the woods,,,, and if you see what I pull, the junk is not biodegradable, maybe in 5 years, at best,,,,,,

screw up their hunt, hey, hunting is over with,,,,,,

like the 12 stands I found, that are not pulled after season, that are suppose to,,,,,,,,

03-Feb-16
also lets not forget the water bottles, and gator aide bottles, and all the other crap, these lazy people, leave in the woods,,,,,,,,,, they treat the woods like a trash pile....... that is not okay in my area, and that is the way it is.......

plus the garbage bags I will fill with crap, left at the trail heads, but that is going on all season, than we have the deer remains, thrown out on the side of roads, or at the dead ends.....the tires I donate to a shooting range in the south.......

also have at least one couch, and the remains of someones kitchen, that was decided to be dumped by the brule.......

makes me sick

03-Feb-16
Good man razor!! I do the same thing. You are a true outdoorsman!

03-Feb-16
There is a forester out there wondering where in the hell all of his ribbons went.

03-Feb-16
Kind of ironic that I almost always find ribbon roads to bait piles and stands on public land. I always pull the ribbons. I shouldn't say that I always pull them. Sometimes I rearrange them to lead back to the road.

03-Feb-16
During the season I wouldn't touch them . But now that it's closed Razorhead I applaud you .

04-Feb-16
Same as Swampy....I don't remove during the season. No matter how ugly (ribbons & surveying tape)they look, people have no business removing them during the season. Most people that do remove items during the season are just territorial, will follow the ribbons to see the set up, even steal trail cameras, stands etc. Most responsible hunters will remove there own ribbons and junk. Reflector thumb tacks are another issue, I bet 99% are left in the trees, visually they are not an eyesore so you don't hear complaints about them.

Depending on what properties you are on, there are laws out there that are suppose to be followed, if you see they are not, report to the right authorities and let them handle it.

razorhead....did you do anything about those 12 stands you found out there?

04-Feb-16
When my kids were in pre-school they played w/ ribbons and flashy tacks. My Dad brought us up, no whistles in the woods, don't call for help and if your really that lost die like a man. His trademark was to give you half a candy bar and then ditch you to see if you could find your out at night. Made my brothers and I into woodsman.

04-Feb-16
I pull them when I see them out in the middle of nowhere. I know the difference between the foresters tape and someone "marking" "their" territory as I get info from the foresters when and where they are logging when I put myself on the list for my area.

If they would pull them out after the season I would leave them but like with most that do it I am also picking up their garbage that falls out of their vehicle or what they do not feel like carrying out.

04-Feb-16
I never screw with anything, during season. I would never screw the other hunter,,,,, the roads are heavy on ribbons, mostly to tell other hunters, they are hunting this area.......

at this time Mike,no, but next week I will be in touch with the federal leo, and he is interested in where they are, he said, he has received several complaints, about guys taking over areas, for years,,,,,, when they have time, they work on that........

the ribbons I take out, and the stuff I have to pick up is just junk, and from hunters who could care less,,,,,, its a shame, the woods are treated so poorly,,,,

I look at the NF as a treasure, that we are lucky to be able to use, so why not take care of it.......

I ran into a guy last year, who had at least 1000 lbs of bait in his truck, he had that many 100 pound bags. He is retired, and sets 22 stands, for the season, for him and his boys,,,,,,

04-Feb-16
Razor, have you contacted a warden? Wait till this guy can legally leave stands up overnite throughout the hunting season...

04-Feb-16
Good job razorhead. I also remove "junk" ribbon at times and pick up trash when I find it.

Anybody who is pulling down ribbon, just be aware that it's called "surveyor's ribbon" for a reason. Sometimes surveyors may have to run what's called a "random line" or "random traverse" and the lines may not make a lot of sense to somebody who doesn't know what the surveyor is doing. Removing ribbon hung by surveyors could make their work more difficult. Although there might not be much surveying work done on federal land, there could be some and some of that ribbon might be there for a reason.

It happened to me in the past; I've spent all day doing survey work and came back the next day only to have all my control points, lath and ribbon torn out and had to repeat all the previous days' work.

FWIW, surveying ribbon is not very biodegradable. Pieces of toilet paper work better for marking blood trails and if you miss any of it when you're picking it up it will biodegrade very fast.

04-Feb-16
WasauDug,,, yep you can leave them for the season, in the NF, but they are suppose to come out after, very few do.....

Cheesehead, I know what you are saying, do not screw with surveyors stuff,,,,,,, this is junk, that leads to the abandoned bait piles

04-Feb-16
Not sure if there is a rule for surveyors, but the ones that I have seen (and left) were 3' or more hanging loosely. The hunters tend to leave much shorter pieces - I pick these up.

Where I gun hunt, the 3 days around opener leaves more trash in the woods than the other 362.

04-Feb-16
Mike, don't surveyors usually tie a longer length? Any of the ones I have pulled have been short lengths and were about every ten feet. You can usually tell it's left by "hunters" that are scared of the dark/getting lost.

04-Feb-16
I often leave the PUBLIC woods having 2 front pockets bulging with ribbon trails.....and my backpack is half full of corn bags, corn strings, pop cans and candy wrappers.

USE YOUR HEADS PEOPLE!!!!

04-Feb-16
Rut Nut, that is a classic.... I gotta do that sometime.

"Sometimes I rearrange them to lead back to the road."

05-Feb-16
"also lets not forget the water bottles, and gator aide bottles, and all the other crap, these lazy people, leave in the woods,,,,,,,,,, they treat the woods like a trash pile....... that is not okay in my area, and that is the way it is....... plus the garbage bags I will fill with crap, left at the trail heads, but that is going on all season, than we have the deer remains, thrown out on the side of roads, or at the dead ends.....the tires I donate to a shooting range in the south.......

also have at least one couch, and the remains of someones kitchen, that was decided to be dumped by the brule.......

makes me sick"

I hear ya razor, drive anywhere in the Machicanee Forest and it looks like a dump. Tires, appliances, furniture, garbage bags full of garbage, litter all over the place. I'm willing to bet the majority of the crap left out there is from the non-hunting public. That's what has happened since you now have to pay a disposal fee for all appliances and some electronics. Throw it out on the side of the road and let someone else pay for it.

05-Feb-16
I ran across a small chest freezer on County land full of rotten meat, was not going to load it in my truck. Took pictures, went to the court house and contacted the right people, it sat there for another two years before it was removed.

I believe there was a thread started a few years back on the same subject here. I once picked up, I believe it was 250 empty packs if cigarettes.

05-Feb-16
I've always thought that a good way for hunters to get positive attention in the media would be organized trash cleanup days on public lands?

How about the first annual bow site trash pick up day? Pick a date and do 1/2 day of picking up trash......then at the end of the day everybody posts a pic of what they took out of the woods.

05-Feb-16

Drop Tine's Link
Every June members of the WBHA get together and clean up the woods. Maybe the WBH could adopt and promote the same thing within the ranks and work in conjunction with WBHA and cover more ground and not overlap.

Not bad for a bunch or "red necks"

05-Feb-16
It would depend and when and where for me.

05-Feb-16
"Mike, don't surveyors usually tie a longer length?"

Not if their roll is running short, there has been several times that my rolls have been running low and had to conserve what I had to make it through the day.

• Sitka Gear