Duke 04-Feb-16
Bloodtrail 04-Feb-16
Mike F 04-Feb-16
TRACKER66 05-Feb-16
Swampy 05-Feb-16
Per48R 05-Feb-16
Cheesehead Mike 07-Feb-16
04-Feb-16
I was just wondering how many of you believe that calling whitetails electronically is legal?

I'm not advocating this so don't get me wrong. Just thought it was an interesting subject in some States!

04-Feb-16
There are calling apps on cell phones these days. You can call a turkey or duck (maybe a deer) with your cell phone, not certain of legalities.

04-Feb-16
Without looking, I say illegal. I could take two minutes and find the answer, but I'm quite sure you already know the answer Pat. I'm not going to bother looking, because I have zero interest in doing it, so it's a moot point. Waiting for the rest of the story. My understanding was waterfowl no, turkey no, small game no, varmints yes, and possibly crows? Again, not my thing.

04-Feb-16
pretty sure it's not legal in WI, but there were at least a dozen deer vocalizations I could have had loaded on my FoxPro Coyote caller.

Plus they had lions, jackals, and wolves....I wonder how those would work on deer????

04-Feb-16
Checked with the DNR via chat-

Andrew: Hi my name is Andrew. How can I help you?

Mike: Good evening, I am wondering if electronic calls are legal for deer hunting?

Andrew: I will check on that for you.

Mike: Thank you

Andrew: Yes, that is legal to use.

Mike: Thanks and have a good evening. Much Appreciated

There you have it.

04-Feb-16
And Andrew (Chat guy) is correct!

I about fell over because I always thought it was illegal as well.

I find that hard to believe...but it's legal!

04-Feb-16
Page 20 of the handbook states that it is legal to hunt deer with electronic calls and decoys. -I've seen them in stores before and heard them. Most sound really "tinny". Another gimmick that I'm sure some keep in business.

04-Feb-16
FOXPRO has calls with a host of sounds including deer. I never really paid attention to them, as I thought they were illegal.

I'm still a tad surprised....

04-Feb-16
It is also legal to use electronic callers for snow geese during the spring "conservation" season, along with unplugged shotguns. They have very liberal bag limits on the snow geese also.

05-Feb-16
I learned 2 new things already today!! Thanks!

I've saved tarsals in the past but I don't see me carrying an electronic call to my bow stand.

05-Feb-16
Holy smokes it's legal , WOW . Everybody's going to be running out to get one now . Won't need baiting anymore . Put on a CD and sit back .

05-Feb-16
Years ago it was listed as illegal in the deer reg pamphlet. It was not listed in the turkey reg pamphlet back then. Probably 15 years ago.

07-Feb-16
C2D

You're misreading that regulation on tarsal glands.

It's saying that you can't possess deer that are all white except for their hooves, tarsal glands, head and parts of the head (which may not be white).

White deer will have hooves that aren't white, their tarsal glands will be dark due to the secretions and their head may be stained dark due to rubbing trees and secretions from glands.

The intent of the regulation is to protect white or albino deer and its illegal to possess them even if their hooves, tarsals and head are not white.

The regulation has nothing to do with keeping tarsal glands off of normal deer.

• Sitka Gear