NYSWMC 14-May-16
NYSWMC 14-May-16
NYSWMC 14-May-16
deerman406 15-May-16
Squash 16-May-16
Squash 16-May-16
Squash 16-May-16
09-Feb-16
I feel the same way.... Sad to here this, I was excited for a positive change!

09-Feb-16
Pat - given that the public comment period was not even closed until February 14th I find this somewhat odd. Where are you getting your information - please post a link if possible.

10-Feb-16

Ace of Spades's Link
It was published in NY Outdoor News, last weeks issue.

10-Feb-16

Ace of Spades's Link
It was published in NY Outdoor News, last weeks issue.

10-Feb-16
at 74 my hunting days are just about over. but I SURE SUPPORTED THE START THE DEC MADE IN MAKING TAKING A BUCK HAD TO HAVE 3 OR MORE ON ONE SIDE AND ALSO CUTTING BACK THE NUMBER OF DOE PERMITS. We in 40 are just starting to see the herd come back from to many fawns killed off by coyote. I sure hope the DEC will have the balls to do the right changes to give us a great deer herd, not for me but for my grandkids and there kids. I still think one buck a year is the way to go, take it with bow shotgun, rifle or Black powder. But that it one only. I sure wish you would also have a survey you have to take when you get your license, that would ask you were you hunted, number of days, how many deer you saw on your hunts and did you take a deer. May give the DEC data to make special hunts or reduce doe permits and or number of days of hunting....

10-Feb-16
Well said Pat.

It's unreal to me that we sportsmen allow the DEC to continue all these "knee jerk" reactions such all the recent changes that do nothing but make hunting worse. They have an agenda and much of what they do is smoke and mirrors much like last years 15 day no buck season which was just a political move to set up a ML doe season coming. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think we should start a boycott of buying licenses because clearly the DEC is not doing anything with our interests in mind. They admit, the "stakeholders" are their concern. Every move they make simply makes deer hunting worse. So why should my money go to support their agenda?

20-Apr-16
"Based on hunter survey", that says it all. How about managing the NY deer herd based on science , biology, and habitat ? Why do NY taxpayers pay for wildlife biologist in the DEC if we are just managing on a broad survey ?

14-May-16
New York State Whitetail Management Coalition Calls DEC’s Failure to Expand Antler Restrictions to Protect Yearling Bucks Bad for New York’s Deer Population, Deer Hunters and State’s Economy

http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/story/1463102233wc9uhsp94ha

14-May-16

NYSWMC's Link
New York State Whitetail Management Coalition Calls DEC’s Failure to Expand Antler Restrictions to Protect Yearling Bucks Bad for New York’s Deer Population, Deer Hunters and State’s Economy

http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/story/1463102233wc9uhsp94ha

14-May-16
The real survey outcome is very strong.

Cornell April 2015 Survey = Hunter Desires State Wide – 69% of all hunters felt it is “important to protect more yearling bucks”

– 73% of all hunters are willing to accept some limitations on buck hunting opportunity to protect young bucks

– 70% willing to accept some limitations on freedom to take any buck to protect young bucks

15-May-16
Pat do you think limiting hunters to one buck will have a big impact? I myself would think antler restrictions would have a greater impact. As we all know as deer age they get harder to kill thus this would have a more positive effect on our herds. I myself like the fact I can kill more then one buck as we have a long bow season and I would not know what to do with myself after say shooting a deer the first week in Oct. I always say be careful what we wish for. I wish we would have a much shorter gun season state wide, say a week or so, maybe two 3 day weekends and done. Shawn

16-May-16
I''m opposed to a shorter gun season in the northern zone. Here there are many traditional hunt clubs, and for many it more about the deer camp culture than just killing a deer. This is the problem with one size fits all management I in NY. Deer need to be managed WMU specific.

Again be careful what you wish for, we lost our ability to hunt bears with dogs, and we will never get that back.

16-May-16
Pat , yor are making my point, most of the NZ with , "low deer numbers", you may need 6 weeks of rifle season to kill a mature buck. ie. Adirondacks and the core of Tug Hill.

16-May-16
Pat with all due respect, being from CT I wouldn't expect you to be familiar with all the different areas in the NZ of NY and understand the historic deer camp culture in the NZ.

Potato hill is not the core of Tug Hill.

First less than half of the ADK's is Forest Preserve land. Over 3 million acres inside the park is private land, much of it having active timber harvesting. Plus recent micro bursts and ice storms have opened the forest crown on thousands of acres of preserve land. After the blow down of 1950, many areas of forest preserve lands in the central ADK's were excellent hunting. Read " A deer hunters history book" by Robert Elinskas.

Cutting back on the season and deer harvest in the ADK's and on Tug Hill is a temporary fix. Have several hash winters and those measures go down the tube. So your premise that this will increase the deer herd is flawed, because, sooner or later a harsh winter knocks back the herd Reguardless of harvest or season lenght.

Back to my basic point, keep gun season the same, many hunters who lease from the company I work for,250,000 acres plus, have not killed a deer in many years, but they still enjoy going to deer camp 6 or 7 weekends each fall.

• Sitka Gear