Gonzo 25-Feb-16
horsethief51 26-Feb-16
Joe The Teacher 28-Apr-16
Dave G. 28-Apr-16
Joe The Teacher 28-Apr-16
horsethief51 29-Apr-16
horsethief51 29-Apr-16
10-Feb-16
I can honestly say that I have absolutely no complaints regarding the season length, AR's, etc.

My only issues are that the hills are getting steeper, the deer are getting heavier, and the drags are getting longer, no matter how close to the road I hunt. But it sure beats not hunting.

10-Feb-16
I am fine with everything we have.

10-Feb-16
As long as the science says so. No reason we should not be hunting from the end of September to the end of January (with the bows that go straight up and down). Even a little room for those other things if they would just watch them closer.

I have been talking to guys my age at the show and they pretty much agree that we had too many does and not enough bucks back in the 1960s. They should have started the herd reduction sooner, done it more gradually and stopped earlier and we would not be in the situation most perceive us to be in.

I think we hit the peak nationwide several years ago for really great deer hunting. I am satisfied.

10-Feb-16
Pretty much agree with Art as I am fine with pretty much all we have but there ise always room for improvement. I believe that upon reflection, AR's are about the best thing that has happened in our state. Witness all the pictures of the bucks in state publications. It has been a struggle and has taken longer than expected to develope the mind set needed to make it work. It has been getting better every year and even many youth hunters have come on board by passing on younger deer. It would be nice if the AR's of at least "3 UP" would be adopted over the entire state and better yet go the "4 a side with the brow tine" like it started out as. Going to the "3 UP" has cost us a little in Quality and age structure.

As far as seasons go, I know that you never want to give up anything you already have but I would be good with dropping the first week of Oct. to have the season extended another week in Nov. with the inclusion of archery bear.

All be it slow, they have made further tweaks to the doe management and work needs to continue there to help out many areas of the state.

10-Feb-16
I'm fine with the way things are.

10-Feb-16
Everything is good!

10-Feb-16
Personally I'm not seeing the benefit to any of it. I'm still not seeing any more big bucks than before. The muzzle loader and Junior season has all but gone away around here. (hearing very few shots) Not sure if it was the novelty, lack of deer sightings, ticks, or maybe just how many other activities the kids are into. Crossbows is just water over the dam.

And it seems that it all has led up to ALOT more of posted property, private and leased. This is part of the reason I'm not seeing any more big bucks, and I don't utilize trail cams by choice.

Bottom line is I can still hunt and life is good.

10-Feb-16
Ok Ill get it started:)

NO expandables!

I think some tweaking is needed. Sunday hunting for archery only- No Cbows. A 3 week air arrow rifle season..... No ARS for this new weapon.

All scopes removed from Cbows and no preloaded weapon- all drawn and loaded in presence of game.

Archery Season on posted private ground to last 2 weeks only- 1 week buck- minumum spread of 18" 1 week doe. Private land archery tags to increase to $1000 but mandatory insurance to cover auto accidents from deer leaving the landowners property....

~(8o)

10-Feb-16
I have to agree with, Hawkeye...not really seeing the benefits. I've spent more time hunting this year than any other, spread out over four different properties. I do utilize trailcams, and this year legal buck pics have been scarce. Most of the "state" publications I see with harvest photos, certainly don't contain as many pictures I can recount seeing in more recent years. If you pay close enough attention, most of those buck pics are from bucks coming from out of state, too. The only deer I could've put an arrow through this year, have been very small, very young deer...were talking less than 50-60lbs on the hoof.

Of the guys toting the awesome benefits of antler restrictions, I notice the majority of them reside in the western parts of PA. As X-Master pointed out, if anything, the entire state should adopt a "4 pt. a side + browtine" rule...in addition, junior and senior hunters should not be allowed to shoot the spikes and forkhorns. In my opinion, this exception negates any gains accomplished by the implementation of AR's.

Furthermore, with the inclusion of crossbows, the total deer harvest has doubled during archery season. Couple this with the one week in-line muzzleloader season in October, and more deer are being taken during the initial 6 weeks of archery season, than the entire 2 weeks of rifle season. Don't think the dyed in the wool rifle hunters haven't taken notice...

One last note...I'm happy to be able to still get out in the woods, with my dad, my fiance, and my son. We all have the mindset that we don't need to kill a deer everytime we hunt, but it sure is nice to see them every now and then. Overall, I'm proud to be a bowhunter in this great state, but I feel a little tweaking is on the horizon for our beloved archery season...for better or worse.

10-Feb-16
And a hot dog in every pot...

10-Feb-16
I think the Private landowners should be the one's making wildlife management decisions for their land and the State should stay out of it. if the deer, or any other critter is on your land, you own it and can kill it, or, do anything you want with it until that critter leaves your land.

10-Feb-16
Bob, now wait a moment. It took until the later part of January for me to see a deer track in the yard. And if you was allowing them there private property owners free rein I still wouldn't be. You know when the food plots are depleted and the "placed" corn and bait is consumed by deer and no longer maintained after season my deer resistant shrubs are fair game;)

(Sometimes it's amazing what goes on in posted land) my former job enabled me to walk right of ways on posted / private land.

10-Feb-16
Private land archery tags $1000? I just will have to shoot them with a rifle. Or with a New York tag since the land is both sides of the border. I will hunt on the east side of the French Creek in New York. If the game commission sees that they can sell tags at that price, then watch all the prices skyrocket. Good thing you like hotdogs, Dale. You will be eating alot of them. They make the best hotdogs right here in Erie. Smiths are the best.

10-Feb-16
1. Replace all the boundaries for the Special Regs areas 2. Sunday hunting for the entire season 3. Make the entire archery season an "Earn a buck" program, which means you must shoot a doe first before harvesting a buck. SRA's only for this. 4. Increase the doe tags for 5C and 5D. 5. Sunday hunting for the entire season.

Dale- man, I would hate to be a xbow hunter trespassing on your place.

10-Feb-16
Deer schmeer. I'm good, over it. Don't care what they do.

I would be nice to see an earlier start to squirrel season and I see absolutely no reason they couldn't bring it in with the archery deer season. Early September would be even better.

I'd like to see them use the p.o.s. system for doe tags over the counter.

10-Feb-16

RC's embedded Photo
RC's embedded Photo
I think bow hunters are the biggest cry babies in the hunting community... They have the most time to hunt of all the deer hunting seasons, but still piss and moan...

10-Feb-16

DaleHajas's Link
Teds are the best Hot Dogs. When we go to Seneca Niagara we make a special trip to go to Teds. Charcoal grilled in front of you.

Maybe we can get a Teds in Hburg....

10-Feb-16
I really don't care anymore.

PS. I agree with everything Hawkeye said.

11-Feb-16

PAbowhunter1064's Link
Under the current AR's, I'd hate to have to give any one of these guys a pass....WOW!!!

11-Feb-16
Sorry Dale. I wasn't clear. Smiths is a brand. They are the official hotdogs of the Penguins. Their cheddarbest are my favorite. Their plant is in Erie.

11-Feb-16
It's ok, though PA could learn a lesson from Ohio with regard to simplifying the game laws.

Bow season should be mid-Sept to end of January. EVERY day, including Sunday.

12-Feb-16
RC- That is a funny broad statement. However we forgive you. You jealousy shines through with every word.

However, even you can purchase an archery stamp next time you buy your license. :)....

Herd manager, you are correct about Ohio, however most of their archery seasons are frequented by converted gun guys now. Ironic.

12-Feb-16
RC-Agreed 100% and the "My Deer" mentality has gotta stop as well. Unless you have high fences around "your land" that deer is the property of the commonwealth of Pa not you! What constitutes you "owning a deer"? You bought a hunting license so now you own the deer that walk onto your property?? The arrogance by some is appalling. Funny how people's true colors come to light when speaking of deer ownership, sad really.

12-Feb-16
5C, I was bow hunting back when you was crapping runny yellow poop in your diaper:)

I own the deer on my 5 acres and every time they leave my land, the neighbors all call me, bitching about my deer being on their land. What is a deer owner to do? LMFAO:)

12-Feb-16
Don't be so sure of that.

We spoiled bowhunters can always make room for an old timer.

12-Feb-16
1. The deer are wards of the commonwealth of Pa. not owned by individuals, unless on a private preserve.

2. Crossbows are now accounting for more deer than expected. These skewed numbers will one day cause us problems for the archery season.

3. Give muzzleloaders and early rifle hunters the week either before or after the archery seasons no overlap.

12-Feb-16
My concern is the amount of road hunters and poaching that has become epidemic were I hunt. Add trespassing to it.

12-Feb-16

Joe The Teacher's Link
Oh while I disagree with about 80 percent of the above,I enjoyed reading this thread very much.PA is an extremely huge state.

12-Feb-16
x2 BWANA (on #1), I don't know why people always think that they own the deer on their property. It just doesn't work that way whether you agree or not.

I'm fine with the seasons. I do wish the earlier archery season would extend at least a week longer into the rut.

12-Feb-16
+1 Joe!

The article in your link states the 3 poachers, killed 3 bulls, in 2 days...all with the intent of selling the antlers on Ebay. A quick search on Ebay for "antlers" sure did open my eyes, and it's worrisome to say the least. I can't believe the amount of money some are asking (and apparently some are willing to pay), for a set of antlers.

The better question is, who drives this demand?

12-Feb-16
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=512&objID=12775&PageID=648010&mode=2&contentid=http://pubcontent.state.pa.us/publishedcontent/publish/marketingsites/game_commission/content/resources/newsreleases/newsrelease/articles/release__010_16.html

That article by the PGC was here, in Pa.

The thirst for antlers goes beyond our corner of the world, you would not believe what antlers fetch on the open market as well as sheds. Watch "Wardens" when they do the shed elk antler roundup every year, it is disturbing what people will do for a shed.

As a side note, people are naive to think that deer stay on any property, unless high fence. Deer do and will travel, miles every season and some deer never return or are seen again. Nature puts this in here book to prevent inbreeding. Sheesh.

12-Feb-16
Remember Ray Lewis needed deer antlers to heal an injury.....True....LOL.....

12-Feb-16

Joe The Teacher's Link

12-Feb-16

Joe The Teacher's Link
Pretty good video.....from PGC

12-Feb-16

Joe The Teacher's Link
The WCO mentioned is the only time I was ever stopped ....was by Officer Dan. This was a few years back as I was headed out from my truck second season. As he was checking my licenses,I told him I was happy to see him.He looked surprised and asked why. I told him about the current road hunters I've seen from my stands,and the eight deer carcass found on my Uncle's farm. He told me they had two arrests on the road in the past year. One lost his license for five years and the other,a former classmate,was being prosecuted. He was impressed when he saw my UBP membership sticker on my window and asked how many years I was a member.

12-Feb-16
Joe,

If Ray Lewis had just asked me, I could have told him that deer antler velvet spray doesn't work.

I know...I tried it for my sore shoulder.

It just made my scalp itch so bad I couldn't stop rubbing it on just about any immobile object I came across. Had to sand and restain all of the bed posts.

12-Feb-16
LOL

12-Feb-16
Sore shoulder riiiiigghhhtttt.......

12-Feb-16
I see the delete mouse made his rounds:)

12-Feb-16
Decorum Mr.Painter Decorum.

14-Feb-16
I'm ok with most things, except a lack of Sunday hunting.

I believe Art is right in how the PGC implemented herd reduction. Should have been slower, as we were promised, but hey, it's done.

I have no love of the PGC as an agency, nor the political hack Commissioners.

It is a state agency, run by state employees. Case closed. Not much difference between them and any other agency that wants to throw it's weight around.

14-Feb-16
Geeze Brad, with all due respect, one couldn't have known that(back then) without being told so(today) :^)

14-Feb-16

Anyone thirsty for more Koolaide?

14-Feb-16
Koolaide, koolaide taste great. Wish we had some can't wait.

Don't care anymore.

Kumbya

15-Feb-16
Since no one more specifically Bob never answered my question I'll post it again. "if the deer, or any other critter is on your land, you own it and can kill it, or, do anything you want with it until that critter leaves your land." What gives you the right or constitutes ownership of an animal you never paid for or have in an enclosure when in a Fair Chase situation? I'll get my Pop Corn and wait for your answer.

15-Feb-16
meathead, shouldn't you be out sighting in your crossbow? This bowsite is for real bow hunters.

15-Feb-16
RC-I sighted it in 4 years ago, its good to go, no practice needed, it's just like using a rifle aka riding a bike, aim, pull trigger and shoot out to 100yds.

The Commonwealth of Pa own Pa's deer, no one else! I just wanna hear the explanation of the opinion of "Deer Ownership" given by one of our resident speakers, who has spoken for us(bow hunters) on a few occasions on TV and is an active UBP member and I believe but not positive a trainer for the Hunter's Education Program.

15-Feb-16
I'm pretty satisfied with everything.

15-Feb-16
I believe in freedom & liberty and I sure as you're born, believe in private property rights. If something is on my property, I own it. As a private property owner, I should be able to do whatever the hell I want on my property as well as with whatever is on my property, and that includes any kind of wildlife, plant, tree, etc...as long as it doesn't infringe on someone else's rights spelled out in the US Constitution & the PA Constitution. What gives you, Meat, the right to tell me what I can & can not do with things that are on my property? What gives the state the right to force me to have their animals eating everything and crapping all over my property, without compensation, if I don't want them there? What gives the state the right to tell me how I must manage my land? What gives the State the right to infringe on my private property rights?

Why can't we let all the animals we own roam all over state property without consequence?

16-Feb-16
I'm happy with all of it, the more opportunity everyone has to hunt the better IMO

MIKE

16-Feb-16
Funny how it seems that some people think the deer can read the no tresspassing signs and they just go hide on private property. I could say that based on trail cam pictures and deer sightings during hunting season that the deer hide on my neighbors properties during the day and just come here to eat during the night. Of course during the off season and on Sundays they are walking around here all day long. I am not entitled to harvest more deer than any of you except for one land owner deer tag, which I have never purchased. I do not remember the last time I shot a doe here. I would rather let some of the less fortunate people who hunt here do that. I owe nothing to any of the locals who want to fill every tag they have. In 12 years not one of them ever asked me to go hunting with them. It is my right to decide who can hunt here. Excuse me if I care that those who can hunt here care the way I do and have the same hunting ethics values as I do.

16-Feb-16
Funny how it seems that some people think the deer can read the no tresspassing signs and they just go hide on private property. I could say that based on trail cam pictures and deer sightings during hunting season that the deer hide on my neighbors properties during the day and just come here to eat during the night. Of course during the off season and on Sundays they are walking around here all day long. I am not entitled to harvest more deer than any of you except for one land owner deer tag, which I have never purchased. I do not remember the last time I shot a doe here. I would rather let some of the less fortunate people who hunt here do that. I owe nothing to any of the locals who want to fill every tag they have. In 12 years not one of them ever asked me to go hunting with them. It is my right to decide who can hunt here. Excuse me if I care that those who can hunt here care the way I do and have the same hunting ethics values as I do.

16-Feb-16
The state does own the wildlife. Why do you think we call the guys who protect them "wardens". The animals are wards of the state and it is their duty to protect them.

Lack of Sunday hunting is a killer here in PA.

16-Feb-16

meatus's Link
Where in the Pa Constitution does it say you own the deer? Especially in your situation Bob where you are hunting Springfield township deer on township property, you own what maybe a 1/4 of huntable acre? if that....I would think someone with your credentials would have more morals or sense then that but entitlement runs wild into today's society! Thanks for showing your true colors for all to see! The State owns the deer, period!

16-Feb-16
Bob, laws are what gives the state the right to say when you can or cannot kill an animal. We may disagree with some laws but there's a process outlined in the Constitution to deal with that.

When it comes to deer, if not for public money there would be no deer in this state. State government brought them back from almost nothing after the turn of the century. Their deer, their rules is the way I see it.

You still control your own property. You can fence it or try other things to keep deer out but you don't own the deer anymore than you own an eagle that may land in one of your trees.

16-Feb-16
You guys are so predictable. Dale thought his post was going to rile everyone up, but I knew that my post would absolutely get you guys going. Thanks for playing. :)

The off season sure is boring, huh?

meatus, buddy, you can relax now. :)

I used to be involved with the hunt in Upper Dublin, there's way too many guys that are in that, 65 I believe, hunting about 40 acres. I hunt a 170 acre farm that has 6 bowhunters on it...more elbow room.

Art, our deer here can read, I see them at deer crossing signs all the time.

16-Feb-16
This place is worse than the republican debates...

16-Feb-16
Bob, you're turning into RC II. LOL

16-Feb-16
And your point is, Phil?:)

16-Feb-16
Hey RC, If I can pattern these guys the way I did, just think what a wise old buck must do with them!

16-Feb-16
Ropy, I meant to say he's a wonderful human being.

16-Feb-16
Your nose is growing, Phil..

Yupper Bobby..........

16-Feb-16
I'm good with everything and PBR with RC. but we should have Sunday hunting.

18-Feb-16
The only change I would make is the second season for flintlocks and archery you could kill all bucks instead of the antler restrictions. You could get rid of some of the scrub bucks who are doing all the breeding.

18-Feb-16
Ah baloney...

18-Feb-16

Joe The Teacher's Link
Another good read.“There’s certainly no shortage of poaching activities going on in Pennsylvania,” he said. “We continue to combat that every day."- PGC

18-Feb-16
If bowhunters would quit taking selfies of themselves in their treestands, or texting their buddies...or watching Bone Collector reruns, maybe they would see more big bucks. Whadya think, RC?

18-Feb-16
ZACTLY, George....

19-Feb-16
Cannot remember the last time I watched any hunting shows on tv. It all started the time I spent the weekend at a show in a booth beside an outdoor show celebrity where people were lined up to pay $25 to $50 to get an autographed hat and/or shirt, but they would not spend $20 to join their state bowhunting organization. Most of those guys don't do much for bowhunting except make money for themselves and big business.

At least the folks on here keep the ideas flowing with our varied opinions. LOL. Is that a nice way of putting it?

19-Feb-16
Art, that was said nicely. Even though my opinion won't count;) And I totally agree with your statement.

19-Feb-16
Jeff your opinion has ALWAYS meant something to me.

19-Feb-16
Yup Dale, I get a good laugh out of it too:)

19-Feb-16
OK RC, that's enough. Don't you have some rehab work?;)

23-Feb-16
If PA owns the deer I want a high fence around this state. I know of way too many deer illegally crossing the borders with MD and NY and WV. Maybe we can get Trump to force the bordering states to build the fence.

25-Feb-16
I have only one complaint, the wind! Too many south & east winds. Anyone else experience this, el nino or what?

Pat

26-Feb-16
That's just Roy talking too much, but I guess that wind would be coming out of the west from where you hunt.

28-Apr-16

Joe The Teacher's Link
Good read

28-Apr-16

Dave G. 's Link
What I find puzzling is the disparity in the sentencing as well as the punishment.

Joe's example, the guy gets fined $18K and loses his hunting privileges for "several years".

In the case in Westmoreland County, the fines didn't exceed $6K, but the guys lost their hunting privileges for a minimum of 50 years in PA as well as 39 additional states.

Just wondering...

28-Apr-16
Would it be the magistrate or judge? Not sure myself,although in agreement Dave.

29-Apr-16
Here is your law class for the day. LOL. We elect magistrates for our district courts where summary trials and preliminary hearings are heard. Magistrates can be called "judge" or "your honor."

In summary trials the judge can determine the sentence whether it be a set fine, a sliding fine or time in the county jail. Sliding fines are written in the law, for instance some traffic violations are $25 to $300, or up to $25 in some lesser cases. PGC fines can be a lot higher, even though there is a maximum fine under summary violations I believe.

There are very few misdemeanor and felony violations in the crimes code. When a magistrate hears a preliminary hearing he does not decide innocents or guilt, he only decides if there is enough evidence to hold the case for trial in the county court.

I will not go into the grading of misdemeanors and felonies. There are pretty wide ranges of penalties for all offenses.

I had one guy do time in the state prison for over 2 and a half years for killing a person in a DUI head on collision, but another guy do less than 2 years in the county jail for shooting his mother-in-law in the face.

Magistrates/judges can do what they see fit as long as they follow the guidelines set by the law.

29-Apr-16
In the 3rd paragraph I meant to say in the Game laws there are few misdemeanors and felonies.

• Sitka Gear