Contributors to this thread:
Ridge Runner 17-Feb-16
vmcfadden 17-Feb-16
Junior 17-Feb-16
AZBUGLER 17-Feb-16
Ridge Runner 22-Feb-16
TreeWalker 22-Feb-16
17-Feb-16
I've been lurking in the AZ forum this winter....now hoping to get some advice...this year I applied for an elk tag with 8 points going into the draw. I will receive a loyalty point this year along with 'my 2016' point, so I'll have 10 going into the draw?

Probably not very good odds, but I need to start trying for a tag at some point and put unit 9 for #1 choice and 3a/3c for #2,3,4 &5 (all archery).

Can't get a tag if you don't apply, but realistically speaking how long may it take to pull a unit 9 or 3a/3c tag?

17-Feb-16
You can pull any tag anytime starting this year. They changed the point system. It's a small chance though. For a guaranteed tag with the new rules this year I'd say it will be another 15 years. Good luck hopefully you draw this year.

17-Feb-16
You will be going into 2016 draw with 8 points. If you don't draw a tag then you will have 10 points for 2017.

17-Feb-16
You could definitely draw at any time but...... Odds are it will take you 18or more points for 9 and a solid 14 for 3a/3c. Just my best guess.

22-Feb-16
Too late to turn back now....keep fingers crossed. I didn't realize the points won't be credited until next year :(

22-Feb-16
Has been a few years since studied AZ rules but I think you earn a bonus point by being unsuccessful in the draw. So, Year 1 you have 0 points in the draw. Year 2 draw would be with just 1 point, assuming you did not draw in Year 1. I drew a deer tag and my deer points went to 2 for the next year which reflected my Loyalty and Hunter's Ed points.

• Sitka Gear