dr. bob 23-Feb-16
sbschindler 24-Feb-16
wapiti warrior 25-Feb-16
Straight Arrow 25-Feb-16
sbschindler 25-Feb-16
dr. bob 25-Feb-16
LIFEALONGTHEDGE 26-Feb-16
21-Feb-16
I'm looking to go back into unit 700 again this year or next, and take my little boy with me. One spot in particular I was looking at would require a few mile run upstream on the Missouri, just east of the UL Bend NWR. My question is, whats it like going upstream around here? Could it be done with a canoe if I hung tight to the shore? Or, should I bring a motor boat?

22-Feb-16
IMO the Missouri River is serious water. The current is stronger than it seems. In places if you need to get out for some reason the "bottom" may be only 3 feet under the surface but you jump out and you can sink to your crotch in mud hopelessly mired and no way to free yourself with out help.BE CAREFUL with the MIGHTY MO!

22-Feb-16
Beware of the wind! I have seen small boats get overtaken by 4' waves and it can come up quick. I would not recommend it.

23-Feb-16
You will see lots of jet boats running that stretch that time of year,get a decent sized jet.

23-Feb-16
you could do it safe enough with a deep V 14 footer and a 25HP motor

23-Feb-16
The minute you pass the musselshell river you are no longer in 700 your in 410. West from there it gets shallow and lots of mud bars.

24-Feb-16
ah good point Bob

25-Feb-16
While out fishing that area I have had several canoes go by me heading east following the Lewis and Clark route. If you use your head and are cautious I wouldn't think it would be that difficult. Like what was previously mentioned just be careful of the wind.

25-Feb-16
Actually upstream is to the west. I once met a kayaker at Judith Landing who had paddled upstream all the way from St Louis. He said that he was worried he would spend the rest of his life on Ft Peck Reservoir as he paddled around the shores of that body of water. Incidentally, he was one mean and lean looking dude, who the campground caretaker invited to a steak fry. The BLM campground caretaker said the kayaker really wolfed down steak and beer ... a welcome meal after weeks of dried food and warm water!

25-Feb-16
if you are more interested in the serenity of the hunt and not concerned about getting anywhere in a timely fashion the canoe might be the boat you need, But if actually hunting and getting to area's that have the elk are your 1st interest go with the 14 footer and 25hp motor. most likely you will be camped at a certain area, out of the wind and fairly protected from big waves ect. you might be several miles from where the elk are. so you do need to get to the elk and not spend half the day paddling. just my 2 cents

25-Feb-16
fort peck res has more shoreline then the state of calif. 1500 miles.

26-Feb-16
If you kill an elk your canoe trip is going to get interesting.

• Sitka Gear