Ron Miller 03-Mar-16
wvbownut 04-Mar-16
Babysaph 04-Mar-16
wvmule 04-Mar-16
Ron Miller 05-Mar-16
wvmule 06-Mar-16
26-Feb-16

wvmule's Link
Chris Lawrence interviews Kip Adams or QDMA and Jeremy Preston of Mountaineer QDMA branch for a follow up to his article on Commissioner Kenny Wilson. Listen to the audio clip at the top of the article as well.

26-Feb-16
Kip starting at the 3:00 mark to the end of the interview.

"I said look, here is the thing, here is my opinion on this, and what QDMA's stance would be is the petition that the WV for Better Bucks Management (sic WV Hunters for Better Buck Management), you know they have 3,000 signatures or probably more than that now. That is not a scientific survey by any means. However, the fact that that many hunters have signed it means that there is at least pretty good interest for doing something different there."

"So, I told those commissioners, you know what, my recommendation would be you should do a scientific or random survey of your hunters to get a good hunter opinion survey."

"And Commissioner Milne said that we do that now with hunters at public meetings. I said that is not a random survey."

"Responsive Management is a natural resource survey company out of Virginia that does this all the time. I said, man, I would strongly encourage you, work with them, survey your hunters, because it's never a good thing when you have this much uproar from hunters for any of the department's programs. So, my recommendation was, hey, I think there's enough interest there, right now from your hunters, probably to do something different with buck management. So, I would recommend that you do a random survey of hunters so you can see exactly what the interest is. If it's there, that is a great way to move forward. If the interest is not there then at least all parties know that and you get rid of all of this fighting between the hunters and the agency because that is never, ever a good thing for deer or anything else."

26-Feb-16
Typical. There's a whale of a difference between "supporting" a reduction of buck limits and "pushing" the same.

27-Feb-16
I thought the most important part of that interview came at the 4:20 mark where Kip speaking of doing a scientific survey said:

4:20: “...if the interest is there that’s a great way to move forward, if the interest is not there then at least all parties know that and you get rid of all this fighting between the hunters and the agency because that’s never ever a good thing for deer or anything else."

27-Feb-16
I don't quite understand the whole thing. I know I'm a lil slow., for the record I am for a reduction in the buck kill. I have said it before at the risk of being called a pessimist. What Ken Wilson and Gary Foster say backs my beliefs. I believe the DNR couldn't reduce the buck kill now if they wanted to. They simply can't afford to. They have gotten used to that money and can't afford to do without it. The only way they might reduce it is if there was a catastrophic kill off of the deer . Even then it would have to be accompanied by an increase in fees or licenses. Same way with Sunday hunting. I don't think the legislature will ever pass that. The hard work of Many people may get each county to come on board under the current guidelines but I don't think it will ever pass. I'm at the point in my life where I'm just going to hunt under the current laws here in WV for meat and go elsewhere for the opportunity to hunt bigger bucks.

27-Feb-16
Ed,

Wonder....? Would it be in the WVBA's interest to explore the possibility of having that VA-based company to do the survey? Then, there'd be, at least, some numbers to give to the Commission, DNR, legislators, etc.

27-Feb-16
I think that would be a great idea Jim. I have no idea what that would cost but it would be worth investigating.

27-Feb-16
Lies, facts, hurt feelings, blown friendships, regrettable words, conflicts, tension, yelling, lecturing, sarcasm, blackballing, division, paranoia, arguments, mistakes, pride, opinions... need I go on? We don't need a survey. We need Dr. Phil.

I am only kidding...partially. However, I am interested in learning more about Responsive Management, their process, and what they have been able to do elsewhere.

27-Feb-16
At least if we had a survey conducted by a third party proving what we would like to see happen (lower buck limit) was not just a bunch of dumb, loud mouth, hillbilly bow hunters voicing a minorities view. We could present the survey results to the powers to be and watch them laugh at us and they continue doing what they want to do no matter what the hunters say.

This could also just as easily prove their point of not a majority wanting a limit on buck tags.

27-Feb-16
Or we could have questions like,

Would you be supportive of lowering the buck limit to two knowing it would not cause any benefits? Think that garbage question was worded something like that.

27-Feb-16
We should at least look into Responsive Management. Curious as to the cost. Maybe we could even help pay for it?

28-Feb-16
I am curious as well, JDPTrapper. Let's talk more about it this week and at the hunt show in Morgantown this coming weekend. If the DNR, WVBA, QDMA, and private donors worked together on a project like this it would go a long way to heal wounds, put differences aside, and show everyone that we are brothers and sisters and not enemies.

03-Mar-16
WVMULE wrote, "lies,facts, hurt feelings,blown friendships, regrettable words,conflicts, tension, yelling,lecturing, sarcasm, blackballing,division, paranoia, arguments, mistakes, pride, opinions,..need I go on ? "

WVMULE, You just found out, and got a taste of what most of us already knew about THESE CHARACTERS !!

Ron Miller

03-Mar-16
Another note, as Sam S said on another thread---BEWARE of the Internet Police, they will come check you out, they will LIE on you, heck, they might even Flash their Badge on you if you're lucky and without a doubt they will tell you how important they are,,,lol

Ron Miller

04-Mar-16
well said Ron

04-Mar-16
How true Ron

04-Mar-16
Ron, after last week I bet you kind of like us lower buck limit people a little bit now. Lol!

05-Mar-16
WVMULE, I've always Loved you, whether you believed it or not ! I wish you Always the best, always have, you just never thought so. lol, Sometimes tho I wondered if some of you guys Knew who your friends really were, lol, course in time all things come around and you have to see with your own eyes, lol, or get bit one, and lot's of us have been bit !

God bless ya,

Ron

06-Mar-16
Life is worth living if anything to see what bizarroness the twists and turns tomorrow brings. At the same time life is too short for doing much hating. Good can come from bad, though. I am glad that some of us who may have butted heads on other issues were able to spend a little time singing Kumbaya together. I hope we find many other opportunities in the future as it only makes the outdoorsman lifestyle we all love that much better. Maybe we don't need Dr. Phil after all.

• Sitka Gear