Gonzo 08-Mar-16
Spider1 09-Mar-16
PAbowhunter1064 09-Mar-16
PAbowhunter1064 09-Mar-16
Rut Nut 10-Mar-16
27-Feb-16

PAbowhunter1064's MOBILE embedded Photo

Took a walk through the woods today, looking for shed antlers and deer sign. I usually leave my climber in the woods during hunting season, and pull it out when it's over. This is what I found when arriving at the tree where I left it. Definitely glad I wasn't strapped in 20 feet high when this happened! I'll think twice before hunting on windy days after seeing this.

27-Feb-16

27-Feb-16

28-Feb-16
They don't make tree stands like they used too...:)

28-Feb-16
holy smokes!

28-Feb-16
RC - They sure don't, do they? The old Baker's prolly would've split the tree in half!! :)

28-Feb-16
This got me thinking...what would I do if I was in that tree hunting, strapped in, 20 feet up? What would you do?

28-Feb-16
I went to pull my brand new ground blind the end of November. Here a huge tree fell over and came right down through the center of it. Glad I wasn't in it cause I would have been crushed for sure...

28-Feb-16
Groundhunt and watch for quick moving shadows. RC you might need a sun roof.

28-Feb-16
To heck with the stand. What kind of tree is that? Is it bow wood?

28-Feb-16
Looks like a Rock Oak ! Up my camp I have a lot like that !

28-Feb-16
well Josh. I hunt a lot in bad weather

often wondered if I would survive jumping off the stand heading for the opposite side of the tree. yikes , ugly thought

I suppose the stand was at the base of the tree?

28-Feb-16
Jeff - Boobacker nailed it! That is a rock oak.

Bill - I always imagined doing the same...trying to get around the opposite side of the tree and holding on for dear life. And you are correct...the stand was situated at the base of the tree.

02-Mar-16
WOW! Glad you were not in it at the time!

What would I do? TRY to bail out the back! After seeing this, maybe keep a little more slack in my harness rope! (to reach around back of tree)

06-Mar-16
Parts for sale

07-Mar-16
Rock oak is a sort of generic name. It could mean several kinda oaks. From here, it looks like a chestnut oak.

the thing is, just like falling out of a tree, it would probably happen fast and when you aren't ready for it. Glad it happened when you weren't in it and all it cost you was a treestand.

RC, glad you weren't in the ground blind when that tree fell. If it hit you on the head it woulda broke that poor tree, LMAO!!!

07-Mar-16
You have a PM Josh! ;-)

07-Mar-16
Spider..

Shoot Three Fingers Under....

08-Mar-16
Spider1 - You are correct...rock oak is a pretty generic term. I call em' rock oaks, because the only thing holding them in the ground looks to be a bunch of rocks. Judging from the size of the root ball however, there must be a little soil for them roots to grab onto. As far as the "exact" type of oak tree, I'm not too sure. All I know, is it definitely is NOT a palm tree.

Perry - I sent you a PM. You got me thinking about putting some more slack in my safety rope...or exchanging it with a short bungee jump rope, cut to the right size! LOL!

08-Mar-16
"All I know, is it definitely is NOT a palm tree"

lol, yeah... most like not. One thing fer sure, it's a treestand eating tree :)

08-Mar-16
I had a Forester (Logger )come to my place in Tidioute in 2002 to timber my land and I ask him what kind of oak tree it was and he told me it was a Rock A Oak tress! Also had red oak, white oak but most of them was rock oak !

08-Mar-16
Definatly a rock oak, or chestnut oak, largest leaves, largest acorns. Member of the white oak family. Great tree to climb if it's upright..... Deer magnet!

Pat

09-Mar-16
yer right there Gonzo. I have a chestnut oak right next to a red oak in my back yard. When they both drop acorns at the same time I'm left with a blanket of red oak acorns but the white oaks are hoovered right up. The deer come in the evening and pick through them.

09-Mar-16
On a happy note, here is the replacement to my smashed up treestand. I was lucky enough to get the winning bid on this gem at the UBP Winter Banquet. The only time this climber will stay attached to a tree, is while I'm in it!! :-)

09-Mar-16

10-Mar-16
Nice Josh! Congrats! :)

• Sitka Gear