DaleHajas 01-Mar-16
Bob Hildenbrand 01-Mar-16
DaleHajas 02-Mar-16
Jeff Durnell 02-Mar-16
RC 02-Mar-16
DaleHajas 02-Mar-16
Phil Magistro 02-Mar-16
28-Feb-16
I haven't been around here much lately and when I did check in, there wasn't much going on. I guess that can be a good thing.... if you're Phil :^) I was just wondering how everyone's been? I'd like to hear what everyone's been up to. Are you and your family healthy? Have you been shooting? Late season scouting? Hiking, exploring? Switching gear or methods? Content with what you had? Cutting bow wood? arrow wood? Planning next year's adventures? I know Roy recently had shoulder surgery and is recuperating. I saw a recent picture of Bourbonator and a nice dark, colorful 40 lb coyote he killed. Glad he survived his fall and is still gettin' er done!

I've been small game hunting and cutting, hoarding and whittling bow wood like a rabid beaver(big surprise aye)...

Been an easy winter and spring is right around the corner... birds are coming back... saw some robins today... sun was shining... So what say ye...

What's new Pa Bowsiters?

28-Feb-16
Though I'm probably not the intended audience here, Jeff, the past few months have been good months for working on arrows: refletching, repointing, retaining. The "Strictly Sticks" group has been keeping us busy, with shoots we have (and TRY to have), and the the Thursday evening informal gatherings. Surely looking forward to the gradual increases in daily temps, to get outside more, to let the clean air in, and the trapped air out.

And I most certainly am looking forward to the upcoming potential gatherings of the like-minded. Be they fellow Archers, or the critters seen when they, too, awaken to the spring.

28-Feb-16
Well said, Harry. I had the door open most of the day today, swappin' air, while listening to the robins chortlin'.

28-Feb-16
Can't do much of anything with one arm messed up. Bored to death...

28-Feb-16
All is well here. Went to a 3D today which made a already beautiful day even nicer! Been trying to get some T bird scouting in but they are already hiding. Take care.

28-Feb-16
Looking for more chestnut trees to pop up in the yard. My lilacs have big buds on them. Seeing plenty of deer and lots of turkeys. Been watching the river freeze and thaw several times.

28-Feb-16

Treerat's embedded Photo
Treerat's embedded Photo
Bow hunted Ohio until Feburary 7th had some close encounters and enjoyed bow hunting 3 days a week In the evenings. Started checking cameras and scouting and looking for shed antlers lately no ice on PresQue Isle so time normally spent reeling up perch is being spent in the woods. Some nice public land bucks made it in my hunting areas like this one. Imagine all the knife handles and buttons you could get off of this deer next season.

Mike

29-Feb-16
Mike, you'd probably have a stroke if you saw the antler pieces that fell to the floor around my bandsaw this winter :^)

Art, I've been checking on those chestnuts I planted. Nothing yet. In the one spot, I didn't know the wife had sprayed some kind of weed killer, but I planted them in a few other places too.

29-Feb-16
Hello Jeff, Life here has been good. Interesting, but good. I get to shoot most days here at home but only up to 15 yards. Don't get to hunt enough and don't really enjoy hunting in this part of the state. Miss western PA for that. But I'm healthy and happy. Also have a few bows here I'm in the process of refinishing that I enjoy doing.

Today I'm headed to DC for a job interview that may change my lifestyle significantly. If I want and am offered this job I would have to live in DC - not VA, or MD.

29-Feb-16
Good to hear from you, Jeff! Glad to hear your keeping busy, as well.

I've been doing some shed hunting, post season scouting, and just enjoying time outdoors with the family. Because I read too much, I'm now tinkering with my arrow setup, playing around with the whole "FOC" thing, and seeing if it makes much of a difference. So far, I've been pretty pleased with the results. My soon-to-be wife bought me a set of sharpening stones, and I've been "honing" (get it?) my skills on some old knives and blades laying around. I'm going to pick up some Magnus Snuffer broadheads, and see if I can get them hair shaving sharp. Still haven't found anything better than a RAGE broadhead, but if these fly good, I might make the switch.

Other than that, just keeping kids straight with school, working too many hours, and getting ready for a wedding in June.

Mike - It's good to see you're letting the small ones walk! Give em' time to become one of those mature bucks I see on the Sportsmans channel all the time! :)

Phil - Good luck on the job interview! It's not easy having to change your lifestyle, but sometimes it's well worth it to do so!

29-Feb-16
What's one more B'ser in Washington? LOL

29-Feb-16
Good luck, Phil....

29-Feb-16
Jeff,

I'm glad to hear you're doing well and that you're still working at producing those lovely bows that you're known for.

Me and the wife and the dogs and the cat are doing well. This past Saturday, after finishing cutting up a couple of trees that were downed in the last storm, we took a nice stroll in the woods looking for sheds. I got a kick out of hearing her jabber on about different stuff we were finding. It made me aware that it's been too long since our last walk in the woods.

My doc keeps bugging me to have surgery to repair a hernia, but I keep telling him that I've had it for so long, I've become kind of attached to the darned thing. :^)

I have a week-long backpack/canoe/flyfishing trip planned for late June in the upper peninsula of Michigan. Thirty square mile wilderness area with about 40 lakes to explore and some premier smallmouth bass fishing. If the bears or wolves don't get me, I'll probably have to have the hernia fixed after that trip. LOL!

Again, glad to hear you're doing well. My best to you and yours.

Phil, if that job in DC has anything to do with maintaining a server for a portly blonde lady, my advice would be to turn it down. :^)

29-Feb-16
How ya been Jeff? Hope all is well. I have been chasing the yotes around a bit this winter. I'll be out again this weekend doing the same. Plan on picking the bow up again this spring. I haven't shot her in a while.

29-Feb-16
Thanks for the good wishes. Things seemed to go well. Will know more in 2-3 weeks.

Dave - no server work. :)

29-Feb-16
Jeff who?

29-Feb-16
Hey Jeff,

Just back from HI, & recharged. I'm shooting several times a week. Making wines & brewing ales & stouts. I just picked up a stave of osage & a stave of hickory & am going to give making a bow a try. Family's good, I'm good, need a new lab pup though. Life is good.

01-Mar-16
Jeff... I don't like you:^P

01-Mar-16
Is that why ya broke his Osage bow a few years ago, Bobby? LMFAO:)

01-Mar-16
:)

01-Mar-16
Is that why ya broke his Osage bow a few years ago, Bobby? LMFAO:)

I still can't belive that happened. 3 or 4 guys with longer draws pulled it back and when the midget pulls it, it lets go?????

02-Mar-16
I cant believe it either lol nor will It ever be forgotten!:)

02-Mar-16
Wow Phil, that sounds like a big decision. I hope it works out for the best, whichever way you decide.

Josh, what is it about a freshly honed scary sharp blade? Kinda gives ya a sense of contentment. Congrats on the upcoming marriage.

Dave, that smallmouth fly fishing trip sounds awesome! Buddy of mine, sitting here right now as a matter of fact, is obsessed with fly tying and fishing and goes to Michigan. Mostly a steelhead guy, but he's been getting into smallmouths more lately.

Hi Bob, gonna make some bows aye? Sweet. I gotta quit starting new ones and start finishing some of em. I'm doing some in depth testing on design and limb balance currently. Should be interesting.

Bob, that was my most favorite bow EVER... but I still luv ya.

oh... hi Red.

02-Mar-16
LOL

02-Mar-16
Red who?

02-Mar-16
No wonder he tells me how much he doesn't like you guys.

• Sitka Gear