Bucks_n_Gobblers 09-May-16
deadeye 09-May-16
Konk1 10-May-16
deadeye 10-May-16
Bucks_n_Gobblers 10-May-16
deadeye 10-May-16
Bucks_n_Gobblers 11-May-16
06-Mar-16
Want to video with my go pro this turkey season... I purchased the remote and also got a stake to post the go pro in the ground by the decoys... I also bought a screw pod that goes into a tree . I'm just trying to get the go pro closer to the action because at 10 to 15 yards things look far away! Anyone else use a go pro like this

06-Mar-16
Good idea, because you're right. My go pro is almost never used because everything looks so far away. I might attempt mounting mine on a decoy as well. That might make for some good video action. I'm taking a first time hunter at the age of 28, and we both have first season, when there tends to be more birds and more interaction with the decoys.

07-Mar-16
I made a stake to put in ground by my decoy last season. Pretty cool footage, unfortunately no shot. I sinc'ed my Go Pro with my phone, that way I can also see what is being recorded. No need to pay $80 for a remote when you can use your phone.

07-Mar-16

Adam C.P.'s Link
I did this very thing last season and got some good footage of my buddy shooting a bird with his bow. I put it about 5 yards behind the decoy, however when I do it again I'll put it about 5 feet to one side of the decoy because even 5 yards wasn't as close as I'd like it. Generally speaking, GoPro's are terrible to use as your main camera but are incredible for capturing second angles.

Konk1 - I was using my iPhone to remote control the GoPro while I was recording my buddy and it worked fine. However I've since started using the GoPro Smart Remote for solo filming second angles of my deer hunts this season. When you're solo filming there is a HUGE advantage to using the Smart Remote vs. your iPhone. It is far easier using one hand to turn the camera on/off and start/stop recording by tapping a button on a small remote which is always attached to either the fluid head of my main camera (while in a tree stand) or left forearm (while in a ground blind) vs. having to dig out my iPhone from a pocket, turning on the phone, opening the app, turning on the camera, hitting record, and then shuffling the iPhone back into my pocket. Plus, controlling the GoPro with the Smart Remote doesn't drain the camera battery nearly as much as controlling it with your iPhone.

08-Mar-16
FYI- phone app really drains the battery..setup the camera with the gopro app, then switch control to the wifi remote through the app and then you are set...you know the angle looks good so all you have to do is hit the record button and you are set.

As for the distance, set the camera to narrow, and also put the camera to the side of where the action is gonna be..the cases are waterproof and shockproof, not bullet proof!

I use a shooting stick that is extendable and fully camo. All you have to do is remove the "V" on the top and the bolt that remains is the same size that will fit right into the tripod mount that is included with most mounting kits...

If you need links or pics let me know and I will get some for you...

once you get it all setup and running great, nothing is easier than just clicking the record button and focusing on smoking your dinner!

09-Mar-16
Good points Adam and deadeye, the app really does drain battery and it is inconvenient to have to dig out the phone. So are there two different remotes for the GP? I thought I saw one that had a small video screen on it.

03-May-16

Konk1's embedded Photo
Konk1's embedded Photo
I bought the remote and I must say I really like it. REALLY saves on the phone battery, since I didn't ahve to use the phone. :) All the features don't work with my Hero 3+ Silver since this remote is marketed for the Hero 4. But most of the features that don't work I don't/wouldn't use anyway. the attached photo was taken using the remote while I was posing the fan for the picture. Believe it or not the camera was only about 10' away.

05-May-16
I have submitted my footage from yesterday. Back at the truck at 6am. GoPro is 10 yards away on Medium FOV @ 1080 @ 60 FPS protune off, low light on. I also used the remote.

I forgot to mention in the video, I slowmo'd the tom hitting the decoy and also zoomed in and slowmo'd the kill shot.

For some reason it hasnt embedded yet, so here is the link in case it doesnt embed it

https://vimeo.com/165322308

09-May-16
deadeye -where did you have your camera mounted...that is pretty cool

09-May-16
gopro is mounted on camo shooting stick converted to gopro mount that I stick into the ground. This way I can get it closer to the decoys

10-May-16
I made a "mount" out of an old aluminum arrow. I cut the nock end off and epoxied a 1/4-20 threaded rod into the end. I purchased a GoPro mount kit that includes one that is threaded to 1/4-20. This is very compact and sets the GoPro about 24" off the ground. Easy to carry and stick in the ground.

10-May-16

deadeye's embedded Photo
deadeye's embedded Photo
Here is exactly what I use..I like the ability to shorten or lengthen the height to my liking based on the terrain I'm using the camera in.

10-May-16
That didn't bother them huh? I would think them seeing something in the middle of the field would spook them???

10-May-16

deadeye's Link
No, not at all.

I have not noticed anything spooking from the shooting stick mount(deer,ducks,geese,or turkeys). I have used this method for like 3 or 4 years. I cant recall which year I got my GoPro. I think this is the only way to get the GoPro close enough to make a decent video.

The wide angle is awesome for head mounted filming for up close footage. However anything out 15+ yards not so much. Anything further out seems like its miles away. I used the medium FOV for my video, I wish I would have used the narrow settings but that's taking a risk at missing more footage or missing the shot if my guess of direction is wrong. There is no changing angles when they start coming in.

Seems that a person would really have to take a chance at getting busted if everything had to get within 15 yards of your camera.

I use a handheld camera for filming things longer distances for the advantage of the zoom. See the link below from a couple years ago. I have some hens that I filmed that were about 60-80 yards away using my Sony Handycam. It records at full 1080p @ 60 FPS and the image is crisp enough for me.

I do use a black zip tie on the strap that is at the top hanging in the pictures. It can blow in the wind.I don't even have the black out case. I use my GoPro clear case, however I do disable the beep and the LED flashes through the settings to prevent unwanted attention.

If you have any other questions or want some more info, let me know. I have toyed and played with all my camera's for a long time and have learned a ton of lessons that I wish it wasn't at the expense of my hunting!! LOL but that's part of the learning process.

11-May-16
Thanks, I typically have it on my head or bow mount that I have. Would be nice to get some closer videos images though.

I have had mine for a few years now too.. I didn't' bring it turkey hunting this year because everytime I do I don't see anything. I was going on the philosophy of not bringing the gopro will change my luck. LOL and it worked!!

• Sitka Gear