Bloodtrail 19-May-16
Pete-pec 19-May-16
Bloodtrail 19-May-16
Pete-pec 19-May-16
Zim1 23-May-16
08-Mar-16

Pete-pec's embedded Photo
If you have the land, and don't worry about theft, brushing in blinds can get those wary birds to get just a bit closer. Today I cut some spruce boughs from the yard, and will be brushing the blinds in. I'm taking a 28 year old first time hunter, and we are going to experience the hunt in its entirety. Next week we will brush them in on some known strutting zones. I know many would say it's not needed, but I've put a blind on these three spots every year for ten years, and each year they produce fantastically. I attribute that to the time of year I put them out, and the blending in that me and the kids put into them.

08-Mar-16

The pile of boughs. I bring them out with the truck when possible. This year too messy, so it's a wheel barrow. A few trips, but all fun.

08-Mar-16

Brushed in, helps the birds get close for the bow or fidgety kids, and deters theft, because it's difficult to simply grab the blind. I use plastic zip ties and frame the blind with random branches, then lock it all in with the pine boughs and other small branches. I will add, that with hub style blinds, it's important to tie the top of the blind to an existing tree limb to keep it from collapsing during a heavy rain or a late season snow. These blinds will stay from early March to the last season's of deer, so they serve two purposes.

08-Mar-16

Another

08-Mar-16

This spot has probably been the home of 20 tom turkey deaths. A real great spot!

08-Mar-16

This strutting zone is almost a guarantee after 10 am during the last seasons. I've taken some long naps here, and I have never not shot one here during the entire season. My son shot his first solo bird here. Then I scored the next day, and two days later a friend. Can you tell I love turkey hunting lol?

08-Mar-16
Awesome work Pete! You sure did put some time in brushing those in. I like to run and gun for birds on public land. But have always thought about brushing in a blind on a few spots. But I find myself plopped up against a tree anyways.

08-Mar-16
Hello Pete I was wondering if you shoot through the mesh with the bow or do you take it off. thanks Jeff W.

08-Mar-16
Thanks. My back can't take that sitting on the ground any longer nocturnal. I sit in those rigid plastic chairs. I take a piece of plywood cut just outside the dimensions of the legs of the chair and screw the legs to the plywood for great stability.

08-Mar-16
Bigwied, I have not shot through the mesh. You would certainly need a cut on contact non expanding broadhead if you do decide to attempt it.

08-Mar-16

happygolucky's embedded Photo
happygolucky's embedded Photo
I love it Pete. I have a couple on my land for bowhunting from. The pic is the backside of one where I could not shoot. I use the general brushing method you do. I personally prefer to be outside, but in different weather conditions, these are better than not hunting at all. My son likes them. Both bucks he shot this year came from ground blinds. He's building experience and confidence.

08-Mar-16
You are definitely the house expert blind brusher inner;) I have been hunting turkeys in WI and other states for over 20 years. I used to love roosting birds the night before and just backing in against a tree and calling. Then about 12 years ago we started hunting out of blinds about half the time due to weather and comfort. Now it's pretty much the only way I can turkey hunt due to a very bad neck and back. I used to scoff at brushing blinds in for turkeys. But last year we encountered some very skittish birds. I brushed in 2 blinds as I had remembered you said it helped Pete. That did the trick, the tom came in. Unfortunately my buddy missed;)

08-Mar-16
That's a beauty Happy! Looks like fir trees besides, so that citrus smell must be nice!

Rut, you're right, not probably needed, but man are they oblivious to them when contoured with debris, giving them a more dimensional look. That back and neck must suck, I need to take a couple pictures of the chairs I use. These rigid chairs will really aid in comfort. A bit bulky, but by far, more comfortable.

08-Mar-16

So here's why I choose these chairs. For one, they are lightweight. You can find a set of four curbside all the time as people upgrade and toss these. I have picked up a dozen over the years junk picking. Your knees are at the same level as your hips. No back or legs falling asleep during long sits. I sleep all the time in them. Shooting a bow, the plastic is silent, unlike one of those folding chairs that has squeaky fabric. Shooting a bow, your body is ready and upright for the shot. Simply stand and turn the chair to open up the shooting so you're parallel to the shot. The plywood prevents the legs from sinking and breaking in soft soil. I learned this the hard way, and broke several legs and tumbled lol. Everyone that hunts with me comments on the comfort. Kids are a bit higher, making shooting easier. Simply take a couple wood screws and drill into the foot of the leg coming through the plywood from the bottom.

I do want to add to that. Kids need a shooting rail holding these heavy guns. I always zip tie a cross member below the blind's window so the barrel can be rested while the bird is working. This allows less movement. The butt of the gun can be rested in their lap, and only when aiming does the gun need to be raised. Trust me, it beats the shooting stick tremendously having an entire rail. This gets added to all sides, in case a bird is shot to the side. Hope this helps those dads taking small framed kids.

08-Mar-16
I'm more impressed how you properly cut the branches from the tree trunk. Too many leave nubs. Note to all, cut where the branch departs from the branch collar. The wound will heal fast.

08-Mar-16
Nice on the blind concealment. Nice on the pruning. Great tips on the chairs.

I'm a big believer in ground blinds because you can pull a long sit under less desirable conditions.

All I'd add is lunch, hydration and a good book.

08-Mar-16
Thanks on the pruning. Food and hydration? No doubt!

The spruce was going to get cut down after building a new 1000 sq. ft. Garage, and this tree was a bit close for my liking. So instead of cutting it down, I'm using the tree for its boughs as a living donor.

08-Mar-16
Great Job -

However...and don't take this wrong guys...but for turkeys I find it totally unnecessary!

Deer - absolutely - think it's great...but for turkeys - not so much and here's why.

Turkeys unlike deer "generally" don't give a fiddlers hoot about ground blinds or pop-up blinds. I've shot many from a blind with no (added) cover what so ever - my hunting group has done the same. Blind stuck out in the field...no cover and here they come...

Now - if that's what you like to do and you feel more confident? I'm all for it and I'd be the last one to say you shouldn't do it. If that's what ya like to do - go for it!

Part of turkey hunting is doing what you like and making things work for yourself -

I'm admittedly of the lazier side and go for the "it works for me" scenario -

Let me add that I believe no set up is 100% at 100% of the time - there are no "golden rules" to any of this.

Liked the added information on taking kids! Good stuff! Good ideas!

Good Hunting fella's

09-Mar-16

I agree Pat, with one exception. These blinds are placed on the same spots year after year, and are 100% lol.

I'm not sure a bird has the capacity to learn or remember, but they have become leery of the flat looking blinds. I know this, because the other hunters who hunt this farm without brushing them in, comment that the birds seem shy to their decoys and blinds. I don't seem to have that problem. I'm confident that fresh birds at new places don't seem to care about them a bit. I have birds get very very close. Not often are guys killing 3 birds in the same 7 day season from one blind. We have. Another thing I've noticed about certain brands of blinds, is they eventually turn color to almost a purple hew. The added camo must help a bit? I can spit a blind at a mile away driving 70 down the interstate. Deer avoid them entirely in my observation, and I hunt both deer and turkey from these. As you can see, my deer decoy is not working on this day, but I have 14 fall strutters behind it.

As a theft deterrent I'm sticking with them. I leave these blinds up from now until late December. One is visible from the road, but with the added camouflage, it becomes invisible.

09-Mar-16
If you brush it in now will the branches still be green through bow season for deer.?

09-Mar-16
Pete - I agree as well - deer give the "naked" blind a BIG detour - but your "brushin" after a period of time I would suspect they get right up close for a clean shot.

Theft is always a concern - I hate to shoot my mouth off because I'll be next, but I guess I've been lucky!

On the other hand most of the scum bag thieves know where I hunt and I suspect they give me a wide berth.... but always side on the side of caution! People can be down right bad with no respect for anyone.

Congrats on an interesting thread - so nice to see one without the bickering and informational to boot! Good Job!

09-Mar-16

CaptMike's embedded Photo
Here is a pic of the inside of a leopard blind. While not a portable blind as has been discussed, this is a single use blind, erected to be used for 1-10 days of hunting.

09-Mar-16

A view of the exterior. A blind like this is constructed in a matter of two hours or so by two men.

09-Mar-16
Bigwied, because they are evergreens, they certainly hold their color longer, but yes, as the season rolls on, they lose needles, and the evergreen will turn everbrown. The beauty is, the foliage is changing color at the same time, so it's okay that the blind "evolves" with the season. I shot a doe during the doe only hunt here, and I had a bad wind for her, but she still came to within 30 yards. She actually blew at me, but still offered a great shot.

CaptainMike, there is something pleasurable about getting back to our childhood and building a fort so to speak. With the aid of heavy duty zip ties, the sky's the limit on what you can create. Before portable blinds, I used to, and occasionally still make some incredible ground blinds by simply adding logs and branches making a comfortable nest to ambush a deer. Today I mostly hunt from tree stands, but in inclement weather the wind and rain block that a blind adds is hard to beat. I'll admit the field of view is hard on me, because I love to see, but the advantage having the camouflaged element of surprise is a real plus!

Pat, we could have more of the topics if people would realize we are all a commonwealth, and we need to start realizing that opinion is something we are all entitled to. Not a one of us is programmed the same, and quite frankly, thank god lol!

09-Mar-16
Pete, for sure!!

09-Mar-16
Pete- Great looking blinds and set-ups. One question I have is whether you run into issues setting them up this early with the inevitable heavy/damp snow falls we always seem to get from this time through the first week of turkey season.

As far as turkeys shying away from unbrushed blinds--haven't experienced it a lot, but there have been certain older birds that I have hunted that I KNOW would consistently half moon around my blind (60-75 yards in the woods) when it was not brushed in. I generally don't believe turkeys are all that "smart", however old birds do get old for a reason and it is usually because they stay out of harm's way.

09-Mar-16
Agree on older birds Duke 100%. Likely present when a buddy was shot at 2 years of age. I don't think their necessarily smart, but for a tiny brain, I think they use more of a percentage than we do lol.

As far as heavy rain and snow, I covered that. I always tie off the roof with an overhanging limb. I've considered putting some kind of pole in the center (similar to a deck umbrella pole) to keep the tent up when weight is on the top hub. I won't lie, before tying off the top, I had two collapse because of rain, and one because of snow. The limb must be rigid, and the rope strong to not fall inward. I still thing a collapsible pole like a pool skimmer would be a nice addition during times it's not used. Good question, because I recently replaced one of my fiberglass poles on one of my side walls due to collapse several years ago. If I knew it was only $6.17 including shipping, I would have ordered it years ago lol.

09-Mar-16
Pete, you might be able to use a telescoping pole like those used to support the center of boat covers.

09-Mar-16
When I leave my hub blinds out for extended periods. I always cut a branch with a wide y end to prop under the roof hub. I take it out and lay it beside the blind when I am hunting out of it. I haven't had a blind damaged from rain or snow since doing this. I usually have at least 2 out from early August -the end of bow season.

09-Mar-16
Both good ideas. I'm a little leary about poking through the blind. A blunt end supporting the top hub would be nice. I'll see what I can find. This might already be on the market, but likely over priced.

09-Mar-16

Pete-pec's Link
Would you look at this? It's a fair price in my opinion.

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=ms-android-uscellular-us&source=android-browser&q=blind+support+for+hub+style+blinds

09-Mar-16
Pete, I usually stick a couple old gloves over the end of the stick. But the pole made for the purpose would be a better fit.

09-Mar-16
Another good idea Rut! I'm cheap, I'm quite certain your method is 30 bucks cheaper including shipping! ;-)

09-Mar-16
I am cheap as well, that's why I continue to use a cut stick/pole;)

10-Mar-16
I use a telescopic painting stick that has say a 3" x 6" rectangle pad holder on the end as a support for when we're not there. They run around $5 at Menards, fit every blind and offer enough support in the middle. They handle the snow in the UP just fine. I put a small piece of wood under the paint handle that is on the ground.

10-Mar-16
Sounds like a visit to Menards. Thanks Happy.

10-Mar-16
This is the most informative thread I've read in quite awhile. Thanks!!! I'm going to re-build 2 old stand-by ground blinds and set up 2 pop-ups this weekend.....and I'm stealing 5 or 6 suggestions above!!!

10-Mar-16
Tracker66 (and others considering it), please post pictures and ideas. We're all ears....and eyes!

17-Mar-16

I think we have a new turkey hunter. My work partner has never hunted before. Took hunters safety at 28, and I'm hosting him first season. That cheesy smile says he's excited...and so am I! Today we built a fort...just like grown up kids do.

18-May-16
Pete,

How do you support the big branches/logs? Do you use string or something to make the frame and then add the brushing?

18-May-16
Cross members with thinner branches. Zip tie everything together including brush on top, and everything is locked in.

19-May-16
Zip ties seems a great way to go.

19-May-16
How did your work partner do? Any stories? Looked excited!!

19-May-16
Pat, he got to kill a coyote. He unfortunately pulled the shot on a bird at 30 yards. He hit it in the point of the wing, short-checked the action on the gun, and we did not recover the bird. He was bummed. I told him next year we will make that happen. The bird came from his weak side, and had to literally sit on my lap to take the shot. The bird fled pretty fast not offering a second shot as it left the field edge to go onto private. The land owner would not allow us to look for it. It is what it is. I felt bad for him, but the coyote in my opinion was the better animal to kill, even though the turkey likely died. He had a blast, and for a first kill, I applaud him for sacrificing his first day hunt and taking out a turkey killer.

19-May-16
Pete - Looks like ya just might have snagged us another hunter! Good job! Best of luck!

19-May-16
We certainly snagged us a hunter. He was very disciplined. Sat as long as any hunter I've hunted with. Listened clearly, and was complimentary on the direction he received from me. That felt good, knowing he felt like he was in good hands. Kids cannot express appreciation like a grown man. Was a great time, and I'd love to hunt with more adult newbies, with no offense to the kids. It was more like guiding rather than setting a kid in front of the turkeys, if you feel me? Congrats to Mrs. Bloodtrail on a fine bird!

23-May-16
Thanks I enjoyed all these comments and photos. I have hunted turkeys for 20 years but my hunts just never lasted very long so it left plenty to learn. I hunted off the ground for my first ~14 years but started using blinds for the last ~6 due to ticks, rain & comfort of a chair for my bad knee. I killed plenty of toms and most didn't seem to notice the blind. Since I've begun hunting Wisconsin more I can only get late season tags which is fine, but I learned quickly to put away the decoys. I learned ~75% of the toms went out of their way to avoid them. But after all that hunting, only this year did I notice most toms definitely avoided my blind! Took me long enough. Previously I accounted the behavior with decoys, but I got to hunt 12 days this year, 11 of which were without decoys. ~10 were with my blind which was not brushed in. I tried some new locations and was stunned how many toms avoided my blind at first sight. Four ran like hell immediately upon seeing it. I had no idea it could be that bad.

I did not end up getting a bird this year, first time ever for WI, but I had a total blast. Most challenging & educational season ever. In the end, an improved number of encounters. Since I'm on public I can't brush in blinds to the extent of those shown on this thread, but I'll never hunt there again without some brush. I guess next year I will experiment with exactly how much is enough!

• Sitka Gear