horsethief51 10-Mar-16
Hoyter2804 10-Mar-16
Bowhunting 5C 10-Mar-16
horsethief51 10-Mar-16
BSKED (mobile) 10-Mar-16
goldy2416 14-Mar-16
Hoyter2804 14-Mar-16
09-Mar-16
Does anyone have any experience with broadheads and bears? Any advice would be great.

09-Mar-16
Hoyter2804,

IMO, any of the traditional heads (Zwickey, Magnus, Bear) will work extremely well, as well as a few of the more modern replaceable blade heads. (Muzzy, Slick Trick, etc.) If using a replaceable fixed blade broadhead, I'd recommend a blade thickness of at least .30.

More importantly, I'd recommend studying a bear's anatomy and understanding why you'll want a quartering away position.

That Dale Hajas feller can tell you exactly what it takes to kill a big bruin.

09-Mar-16
I've killed a couple black bears with archery equipment and they die pretty easily if you hit them good. The hole from the broadhead tends to plug a little easier due to the long hair, but your whitetail setup should be more than enough for bear. If you have something that works good now, use it. Now, if you're talking about brown bear I have no experience.

09-Mar-16
I'm talking black bear. Going to new Brunswick in september. I'm shoot expandable broadheads and I'm planning on using solid fixed blade cause sometimes expandable don't open due to the thick hair from what I ready. Just started doing more research figured I'd see if anyone has any advice to give. Actually been looking at those drt broadheads there suppose to fly very true and pack a good punch and kind of have a old school look to them

09-Mar-16
Hey don't be nocking expandable heads. I've herd of guy taking 3,000 pound bull elephants with them:)

09-Mar-16
There are bear outfitters that do not permit expandables so check your outfitter.

Thunderhead 100 gr 3 Blade worked for me. At first I thought I used a Muzzy but it were a TH. Muzzy's would work as well. And 100 gr was no problem..... Actually still shooting it and it downed a buck and and 2 does since:)

09-Mar-16
I've killed 3. One with slick trick 100 gr, one with g5 striker 100 gr, and one with thunder head 125 gr. Sharp head and good shot placement will do the trick. Best of luck.

09-Mar-16
So it appears that the lighter heads actually work quite well!?

09-Mar-16
The outfitter said fixed blade 125 grain. I'm sure 100 is plenty fine but want to abide by outfitters rules

09-Mar-16
Ive used 125s in a TH. As well... For years So interestingly the outfitter recommended fixed blades.....

10-Mar-16
When I went to NB 11 years ago I switched back to a fixed blade 75 grain Rocky Mountain Premier. I had been using 75 grain Rockets for quite a while because I was only shooting 60 pounds. Same story with my brother, but he went to the 75 grain Bacon Skinner. I had all the same concerns that have been cited here, then some.

We were both presented with perfect broadside, slightly quartering away shots at 20 yards or less. Mine went 30 yards and his went 50. We both heard the death moan. The speeds compound bows shoot today, light broadheads will di fine. The key is to wait for and make a good shot.

If you are patient, hunting over bait in Canada will give you the oppertunity to wait for your shot. I passed up 3 bears the first day then shot the biggest one the next day. Know your bear's anatomy and don't be afraid to question the quide if you think the set up is too far. Have fun.

10-Mar-16
Thankyou art, I been using 100 grain expandable I think I'm going to keep 100gr just get a good solid fixed blade. I did a lot of research on the bear anatomy lastyear and will continue to do alot this year and will be sure to ask my guide questions. The last thing I would want to do it make a poor shot and let a animal suffer and go to waste.

10-Mar-16
There are outfitters that do not allow expandables at all, no exceptions. They seen the results first hand.

Shoot a few, decide for yourself. A well placed shot tops a 10 mile hole any day.

10-Mar-16
The guide called it the "over the Hip" shot when he explained it to me. This is exaggerating a little but picture the bear (from 15 feet high in a tree)angled away from you at about a 45 degree angle and you place your pin between the hip and shoulder about 10 ring high. If your bow shot about 150 feet per second and arced like crazy in would go "over the hip" and land at the rear of the lungs on what would be an 8 on a 3-D target. The business end of the arrow will pass thru both lungs and only stop if it hits the inside of the upper leg bone (as mine did). I still think the closer to broadside, but still quartering a way a little bit, is the best. Our bows only shot 270 fps back then on 200 pound bears and my brother had a pass thru. It would have to be a pretty big bear for the 300 fps bows of today to not go thru. I would think a heavy broadhead would work fine on a well placed shot out of a stickbow.

10-Mar-16
Been on quite a few bear hunts.

While expandables will work, my opinion is a good fixed blade head. The slick trick viper trick, is my head of choice. Any good fixed blade head will work,

Secondly, you need an exit hole, so aim for the arrow to exit behind the offside leg if quartering away. Many guys lose bears because the broadhead lodges in the offside shoulder, hence very little blood.

I like them to be broadside, and to aim slightly towards the middle of the animal. They typically pile up within 100 yards.

Good luck

BSKED

14-Mar-16
I have shot several black bears with Slick Tricks. Any tough fixed blade will work if you hit the vitals.

Broadside shots are best for big bears. Ribs are stronger than whitetails, so that is why I stressed a tough head. Also, the bones in the front leg/shoulder are much more massive than a whitetail, so you want to avoid them. Best shot is when bear steps forward with near side front leg- that opens up the vitals for a great shot opportunity.

Good hunting.

14-Mar-16
Thankyou goldy that is some great advice. I'll look into the slick tricks. I read a lot of people said on broadside bear to aim center center

• Sitka Gear