M.P. 12-Mar-16
Coop 12-Mar-16
Babysaph 12-Mar-16
Babysaph 12-Mar-16
gcoleman 15-Mar-16
Babysaph 15-Mar-16
Coop 15-Mar-16
09-Mar-16
I went out this afternoon and did a little bit of stump shooting with my La Clair Tiger Shrew. I was very pleased - was hitting pretty much everything I aimed at but better yet shot with no shoulder pain what so ever! It pulls at 58 lbs so was a nice little test. Actually it was a pretty good test as I went for about a 4 mile walk and shot around 80 times. I enjoyed hunting with the compound last Fall but I just missed hunting with either my longbow or recurve. If I continue like this I can see hunting Spring gobblers with hopefully my new recurve if it is in by then! I wish I could explain it but - it was one of the best days ever just taking a stroll with my bow and shooting at a leaf or a clump of horse poop! LOL I am by no means knocking my compound but carrying that little Tiger Shrew bow that weights a pound and 2 or 3 arrows - sort of just feels like I belong in the woods with it. I hope the rest of you were able to spend a portion of your day today outside - it was beautiful out!

09-Mar-16
I shot this evening at some 3d targets.I've been shooting every day for about 2 weeks but can feel it in both shoulders. This getting old stuff is tough

10-Mar-16
Yea we have been shooting since Jan. And MP is right. Getting old isnt for sissy's.

10-Mar-16
Not me I'm in my prime.LOL

10-Mar-16
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but technically "stump" shooting is illegal in WV. IF your walking through the woods shooting stumps in a closed season. Just another of the antiquated laws in WV like sunday hunting, deer blood tracking etc.

10-Mar-16
I understand Coop I have always heard it called stump shooting but if you go back and read what I posted I said shooting a leaf or clump of horse poop - I actually walked my pasture and a series of fields and then the powerline back to the house. I tried shooting stumps before but I always either tore my arrows up or had a heck of time getting the judo point out of the stump! LOL I agree though that is one law I would like to see changed.

11-Mar-16
Coop and JayD, check the hunting regs and you will find that something is always in season in WV. The regulations for 2015-16 state that there is a "continuous open season" for hunting (trapping seasons may apply to some, see regs) on the following--coyote, skunk, opossum, woodchuck, weasel, English sparrow, European starling, and pigeon. Hence it is legal to be in the woods with bows and arrows year-round hunting for something. If a wiley stump needs to be fended off, you would be legal with that as well.

11-Mar-16
I got stopped a few years ago while ground hog hunting. I was told there had to be a big game season in for me to have my bow in the woods. I never mind fined though. Just warned. I don't think th game warden believed I was just ground hog hunting

11-Mar-16
I got stopped a few years ago while ground hog hunting. I was told there had to be a big game season in for me to have my bow in the woods. I never mind fined though. Just warned. I don't think th game warden believed I was just ground hog hunting

11-Mar-16
I love hunting ground hogs with a bow! With this weather should start seeing them.

11-Mar-16
The key wording is having a bow in the woods in a closed season. Coyote is year around as is ground hog hunting but read the fine print it's confined to OPEN FIELDS during closed big game seasons. Bottom line like all laws it is vague (and for a reason) it's up to the ARRESTING officer and you can fight it in court! For the record I don't own a deer blood tracking dog as that would be totally illegal in this wonderful state. I fully abide by all the laws of this great state. Tongue in cheek! What a mussed up state, no wonder my kids and other kids are leaving this state in droves! Even though I'm at a point in my life where every thing is paid off just waiting on retirement I may dam well sell off and leave this state myself. Hate it here anymore!

11-Mar-16
Yes, "open fields only" for coyotes (page 7 in the regs, but for other small game it is not so stipulated that I can find.

12-Mar-16
I have a great blood tracking dog. I can't use him to track a deer and find it but I can walk her without a bow. No law against that. Another dumb law. A dead deer laying in the woods rotting is much better.

12-Mar-16
I have a great blood tracking dog. I can't use him to track a deer and find it but I can walk her without a bow. No law against that. Another dumb law. A dead deer laying in the woods rotting is much better.

12-Mar-16
Yeah, JR, makes no sense at all. I don't see how using a dog on a leash to recover a deer would be any problem at all. But as we see from the current session of the legislature common sense is in very short supply.

12-Mar-16
Agreed Dave

12-Mar-16
Some stupid laws are caused by people being stupid. I figure the no using dogs for tracking is because you can't use dogs to hunt. Sure enough some would use dogs to chase deer like driving deer. I figure the ethical hunters would use dogs properly to find downed deer but once again it's ruined by the few.

12-Mar-16
Yeap MP your right stupid laws. I've been told repeatedly by our state DNR that IF we allow blood tracking dogs it would open multiple problems for our wonderful DNR law enforcement that would never end. HOWEVER IF they would take the time to look at or ask states that have approved blood tracking dogs that it's just simply not the case! It's like the age old problem with our DNR, don't confuse me with the facts my mind is made up! From managing our deer for quantity over quality the money would in fact increase not decrease. But once again don't confuse them with the facts!

For the record I DO HAVE a great blood tracking dog. I simply take my dog for a walk in the woods on a leash with my CC permit in my wallet! It would just be nice to not have to pretend I'm not breaking the law and doing what's ethically correct.

12-Mar-16
I do the same coop. U just have to be smarter than they are. Lol

12-Mar-16
I do the same coop. U just have to be smarter than they are. Lol

15-Mar-16
so shooting a wvba 3d course in the woods at the banquet this weekend is breaking the law.....hmm theres a bunch of us in trouble lol this ranks up there with sunday hunting law...WAIT if we shoot/ hunt 3d on sunday we are in two violations... is used to have a dog that would find all my arrows for me if i missed targets,,, is that illegal also,, sorry getting bored here,, but we do live in a screwed up state but we mostly still love it here right?

15-Mar-16
I doubt anyone will be arrested at the 3-d shoot but where I live if you are out walking through the woods with a bow it is assumed you are doing something illegal. I guess the good ole boys can be blamed for that. I was never arrested when I was stopped but I do not thing the CO thought I was ground hog hunting with my bow. LOL.

15-Mar-16
It's all about the letter of the law as written. Technically I'm betting the WVBA 3-D shooters are technically illegal having a bow in the woods in a closed big game season. The question might be if it's a legally sanctioned shoot REGISTERED with the state. I doubt it is registered or has ever been, but I also doubt you would ever find a DNR officer stupid enough (I could be wrong) to arrest and or ticket someone at the shoot! BUT legally he or she would be with in the letter of the law to arrest or ticket anyone shooting 3-D at the banquet if they have a bow and arrow in the woods in a closed season! Just my humble opinion. Of course a local judge would throw it out of court after embarrassing the DNR officer but court costs and or legal fees would still be considered. Just another stupid law in WV.

Maybe Gobbler can get us a legal opinion.

• Sitka Gear