Smoothdraw 13-Mar-16
Mike in CT 14-Mar-16
Richm444 14-Mar-16
Keywadin 15-Mar-16
N8tureBoy 17-Mar-16
Dr. Deer 19-Mar-16
BigWoods71 24-Mar-16
10-Mar-16
Was out walking some state land the other day and found a spot that looked promising. Put up a couple of cams, one on still one on video. Just wanted to take a census of anything in area. Got video of the woman that was walking her dog finding the still can, and coming back the next day with her husband taking cam down, pulling the cars and deleting it in a digital cam, and hastily putting my cam back up before leaving. Doubt there's anything I can do, they didn't steal anything, and no way to actually ID them. Rant over.

10-Mar-16
Post he vid

10-Mar-16
Sorry post the video

10-Mar-16
I will give it a shot once the kids go to bed. Running around after them makes playing with the computer a little hard.

10-Mar-16
Troy,

I agree with Paul; if you can, upload the video to YouTube and then post that on something like Facebook asking for help in identifying the person.

While they didn't steal your equipment they did delete photos your cam took. How did they know you're not into wildlife photography? What if some pictures could have paid your bills?

It might be possible to prosecute them on criminal mischief charges (tampering with private property-your camera).

Yes, the camera is on public land and they have every right to be on and use that public land; your camera though is private property and it should be covered under all CT laws/statutes regarding private property.

Disclaimer-I'm not a lawyer, but blessed(? LOL) to have many in my extended family!

Good luck!

10-Mar-16
If the pic/video comes out clear enough.post it.could ask the cops/deep for some guidance on what to do..at least it'll be on record..maybe

Disclaimer: I'm not a cop ,just spent a lot of time visiting the station...lol

10-Mar-16
Sounds to me like, " interfering with the lawful taking of wildlife."

10-Mar-16

Ro40c's Link

11-Mar-16
How many people just happen to have an SD card in their pocket while out for a walk..looked like she took one out of her pocket while he instructed..id show the authorities,if you put a stand in the area and something happens chances are good its them or buddies.would that fall under hunter harassment??

11-Mar-16
Maybe you should leave a note, like you with the white head band and big black dog should leave your phone number so we can talk about you cleaning out the sd card on this camera!

11-Mar-16
She looks like the nosey mastermind, he's just telling her how it works.

11-Mar-16
There was a video from the day before of just her and her dog finding it. The one with her husband where she had the sd card is the next day. Figured I'd just post the one where she tampered with it.

11-Mar-16
Troy,

Here's another thought; make up some flyers (get them laminated in case of rain) and describe what happened.

List the link to your YouTube video to aid in any potential witness identifying those people. Chances are if she was walking her dog there are other dog-walkers and they may know these people.

Another suggestion (to do with what you will) indicate a reward will be given to the first person to provide you with information that leads to the recovery of your property.

Give a phone number of yours that is set up to note caller ID (I know some calls will come up "Private" but it's worth a shot). If anyone calls and asks about what reward right away reply by something like "First I need to know if you recognized these people, then I need to contact the police and see if my property can be recovered or if they destroyed it."

Just a thought for you to consider or discard but it might get your property back or a couple of loser's heads on platters.

Good luck!

11-Mar-16
Nice video. Leave a copy of the video on a CD in a ziplock bag attached to the tree with a note saying, something like, "a gift for the lady with the big black dog". Or if you can take a screen shot of the video and print out and put it on the tree (either laminated it or put in ziplock), that would be good too. People don't like seeing themselves caught on video doing something they are not supposed to do. That will play into their minds which can be as much as a victory as anything else. They messed with your property that was on state land but didn't steal or damage anything, so not much legally would happen. She may even stop walking there because of it, with fear of coming face to face with you.

How far off of a walking trail is the camera? She doesn't look like she ventures too far off the trail. Either way, I would not invest much time in that spot.

11-Mar-16
I was actually really shocked to see them on cam, it's pretty far off trail. Only thing I can think is that it's relatively close to the property border, not so close that I expected anyone walking back there, so based on the direction the came in from, I think they abut the public land.

11-Mar-16
Send the link to the local news, if they play it great and if not there's no harm in trying. I do like the idea if laminated pictures and a short story

11-Mar-16
If you were on camera messing with her property cops would already be at your door..

11-Mar-16
"if you put a stand in the area and something happens....would that fall under hunter harassment??"

It's probably hunter harassment if they're antis and just garden-variety theft if it were another unter!

But it's theft either way.

And it looks like she left plenty o' fingerprints, in addition to wearing an identifiable sweatshirt - could you make out the text there? - and having an unusual-looking dog. Probably a Newfie, isn't it? Highly identifiable, anyway.

I hope you get close enough to her to have a policeman speak to her about her manners... That and a guilty conscience should work wonders!

11-Mar-16
Couldn't make out the text on sweatshirt. I THINK the bottom word is Hockey but not positive.

11-Mar-16
FYI walking your dog off lease on state property is I believe a $95 fine.

12-Mar-16
If you haven't already contacted EnCon yet, I suggest that you do.

Ask the CO what can be done. Getting opinions here is meaningless.

12-Mar-16
How in the he// did they not see the other camera? Nice video.

12-Mar-16
Which state land piece is this. We may be able to narrow it down with more info

12-Mar-16
Wasn't exactly looking for opinions on here. Was just ranting/sharing the video.

12-Mar-16
Lol Ro40... You posted a thread on a conversational forum. You are definitely going to get feedback and input. Hahah

12-Mar-16
Maybe she had a romantic rendezvous with her dog and just wanted to delete the evidence. Poor dog.

12-Mar-16
Oh I expected feedback, and appreciate it. I only said that because of the "call EnCon, getting opinions on here is pointless" comment. I appreciate everyone's thoughts on it.

13-Mar-16
I use screw in tree steps to hang my cams angled down with Cabelas camera mounts about 8 - 10 feet up. Take the steps out with me, problem solved and deer don't detect the cams. Have not lost a cam since I started elevating them.

13-Mar-16
Do think you can use screw in steps on state land can you ?

13-Mar-16
"Do think you can use screw in steps on state land can you?"

Not sure what you're getting at.

If it's a legit question, yes you can use screw in steps on state land.

13-Mar-16
I didn't think you could use screw in steps in the past. Maybe the law has changed for state land. Couldn't find any info about treestands in the DEEP hunting guide.

14-Mar-16
I did see a response from Capt Raul Camejo of the CT DEEP to this question a few years ago:

"Technically they are not legal, but it's not something that we worry about. The department allows people to tap maple trees on state property, the screw in steps don't cause any more damage than that."

The state statute that specifically addresses damage to trees is not all that clear (what a surprise, it's CT after all, right?) and it seems DEEP "allows" tree steps under "authorized use" of state property (trees), as hunting is an authorized activity.

Personally, I've always avoided using them (I use stacking sticks) on state land because this is yet another "gray area" and I don't want to have to deal with some newbie EnCon who wants to break any hunter's balls he can.

(Sorry, most of them don't do this but I've had too many encounters with this type to rule it out)

14-Mar-16
Annoying but it could have been worse.

These anti-hunters just do whatever they want -

We have had multiple blinds vandalized and a 40 pound mineral lick removed all on private property that allows hikers and mountain bikers.

I think just a few are responsible but that is all it takes.

I have to carefully place my cameras now.

15-Mar-16
I think the sweatshirt said CAUTION WIDE LOAD.

17-Mar-16
Olivia Newton John has really let herself go...

19-Mar-16
Data theft.

Interfering with lawful taking of wildlife.

Vandalism.

Dog not leashed.

News may be interested in that, but then you are giving the anti's ideas at the same time

24-Mar-16
That is unfortunate but those are the risks you take with state land, live and learn.

• Sitka Gear