Gene 14-Mar-16
soapdish 15-Mar-16
N8tureBoy 30-Mar-16
BigWoods71 31-Mar-16
Meat Hunter 31-Mar-16
bigbuckbob 01-Apr-16
notme 01-Apr-16
14-Mar-16
So the other night while walking home and making way onto my property I was startled by something large moving near a few trees and large bushes. Of course, it turns out to be a good sized deer. After checking me out for ten seconds or so the deer walks off slowly and eventually moves to the neighbor's property. What really surprised me was how much the area smelled up to several minutes after the incident. Only when field dressing have I ever encountered such a strong tarsal smell. It could have been a mature buck or doe who had just urinated but still I was amazed. I've never encountered this while hunting and would think leaving such scent would make deer more vulnerable to predators. It also made me consider if I can smell deer this well as a human, imagine how well they can smell my trail to the stand come fall. It was a warm, balmy evening in the low 60's which could partially explain the strong scent. As we're always learning, I thought it interesting and was curious if anyone had a similar experience?

14-Mar-16
I've smelled rutty bucks in November on cool damp mornings when they have been upwind of me. And I have also smelled bucks in thick cover where they have tore up the area with scrapes and rubs.

Never smelled one at any other time of the year.

14-Mar-16
I have smelled deer before seeing them several times while hunting and some I have smelled and didn't see. I don't recall smelling deer in the spring while fishing or turkey hunting though. Get downwind of a herd of elk and you will know it!

15-Mar-16
One time I swear i smelled one that was just birthed

30-Mar-16
I jumped a doe and yearling while I was walking through suburbia this weekend. They crossed from one side of the road to the other and as I walked through the path they took I was surprised that I was able to smell them faintly. Never experienced this prior.

31-Mar-16
Meat Hunter, have you tried smelling for sheds?

31-Mar-16
I've only found one shed in my life. It was really cool however with great palmation. Wish I could find that deer or one with his gene pool. I did not use scent to find that shed. If I had more private land I might try it!

01-Apr-16
I've found several over the years, but I also did a LOT of off season scouting, hiking, walking, etc. Most of the time mice and other animals get to them and chew them up, so now is a good time to beat them to it.

01-Apr-16
I was sitting on my sister deck one cool Oct evening enjoying the aroma along with a couple of beers when my sister said something must've died by the pine trees,been stinking for a week..it did smell like someone dumped a case of mrs.doe pee....i told her it was deer bedded down,walk over and 3 does came out.

• Sitka Gear