David Mitchell 22-Mar-16
Little Bear 22-Mar-16
Jim Casto Jr 22-Mar-16
M.P. 23-Mar-16
gobbler 23-Mar-16
Babysaph 23-Mar-16
David Mitchell 23-Mar-16
18-Mar-16
Just curious to see what some of you use for your arrows: Do you use wood or carbon? Feathers or vanes? Reason being - I have been experimenting some with carbon arrows with both vanes and feathers and I am not really seeing any difference at all. I am actually getting better penetration with the carbon and vanes. I always heard it was a no no to use vanes when shooting off the shelf and I just am not seeing it.

18-Mar-16
I use carbons... have for years now. They seem to be easier to tune and more tolerant of spine issues. You can use a lot more tip weight too.

If an arrow is properly tuned, you can use vanes off the shelf. The vanes will flex around the shelf and not touch it. In my experience "most" traditional guys shoot arrows that are waaaay too stiff.

18-Mar-16
Thanks Jim - I totally agree with ya. I am playing around with different carbon arrows and adding weight and it has been interesting to see some of the results!

18-Mar-16
I plan on doing a lot more experimenting with different arrows this year from feathers to vane and with the weight. Sort of looking forward to it - I love watching the flight of an arrow. My wife always laughs at me because after I install a irrigation on an athletic field I will just either sit or stand and watch the system work forever because it is almost like seeing a form of art if it is functioning properly. I guess it is the same with the flight of an arrow - just to watch it until impact always brings a smile to my face - well if it is impacting where I was aiming for that is! LOL

18-Mar-16
If you haven't seen this, it's pretty interesting to see what a properly tuned arrow does. :^)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO102jz8sFM

18-Mar-16

JayD's Link
Hope I do this right I could not go to the link

18-Mar-16
My personal favorites are the laminated maple arrows from Dink's Feather Shop. A finished arrow with broadhead for me weighs 750 gr. I know I lose some fps, but I only take close shots and penetration is never an issue.

18-Mar-16
750 grains? Gee Whiz! What kind of weight are you shooting? That kind of arrow weight is generally used with 80 to 85# bows.

18-Mar-16
I shoot a 50lb. recurve, but like I said I only take close shots. The weight also seems to make the bow a little quieter.

19-Mar-16
I use carbons too. Used to use wood but the got too expensive. A dozen carbons will last me 10 years easy. I agree with Jim. Most people are waaaay overspined.

19-Mar-16

spyder's embedded Photo
spyder's embedded Photo
If ya use these heads it probably don't matter!

20-Mar-16
What's traditional about carbon arrows? Wood and feathers for me.

20-Mar-16
Don't want to start an argument here but hookman: what's your broadheads and bowstring made out of? I guess we all have a little bit different opinion of what being traditional is.

20-Mar-16
If you want to go to flint heads and non synthetic string then you're talking primitive.

20-Mar-16
I might be wrong , but I guess that's the American way, everyone is entitled to their own opinion so I don't think you are starting any argument, just a good discussion. I just love the flight of a beautifully crested wood arrow with feathers that has been properly spine and weight matched to the bow.

21-Mar-16
AMEN to that!

21-Mar-16
I enjoy making my own arrows - loved every part of the process. Only type of arrow I really hated was an aluminum arrow. I just did not like the feel or sound of it. With saying that I think what an arrow is made of doesn't make a big difference as long as it doesn't have a propeller, engine or guidance system it is good! LOL I love the art and look of individual arrows from the cresting to the feather or vane color choices. For me the traditional part is your just using a stick and string. Doesn't matter what stick and string is made of - I know that sounds wacky to some but those are my feelings towards the matter. I mean I think when man first invented the bow and arrow - I am sure it was bare minimums and everytime he shot it there was an improvement made with many trials and errors. I do think there is a breaking point towards improvements though - I don't have anything against a compound - have one myself but man they are not our granddaddy's bows anymore. And even though I do believe there should be a crossbow season - I just do not think there is anyway it can be claimed to be a bow - its not a gun or bow - its a crossbow and that's it.

To me traditional is you and the bow being one - no wheels - no sights - no stock - no whistle and bells - just a stick and string regardless of what material it is made of - but that is me - and you are correct to each there own. Just go with what you enjoy and forget what the others say...

21-Mar-16
Right on JayD.

21-Mar-16
Jim, I remember hearing you say and I'll have to paraphrase since its been many years...who cares what the spine is just shoot 'em. Remember those good laughs as you were auctioning wood arrows from Dink or Jim Ferguson at the old banquets?

21-Mar-16
Hey, Ed. I was selling arrows for the WVBA and trying to get as much $$$ as possible. I NEVER said anything about where they'd hit. All I said was, "just shoot'm."

:^)

21-Mar-16
Jim, you need to run for political office with the ability to spin the situation like that! I do remember though that you are correct--"just shoot 'em" is what I remember.

22-Mar-16
I also remember that? Jim could sell anything. He reminds me of Mr Haney. lol. Anyone remember that show? LOL

22-Mar-16
Sure do. Pettycoat Junction.

22-Mar-16
WOW! You guys are old.

22-Mar-16
I thought Mr. Haney was on Green Acres.

22-Mar-16
Oooops, you are correct Greg--Green Acres.

22-Mar-16
Jim, you are correct there was no implied guarantee where they'd hit. LOL!

22-Mar-16
"Oooops, you are correct Greg--Green Acres."

Okay... now I'm going to prove spyder right. We are old.

Actually, you're both right. Petticoat Junction was in Hooterville and many of the characters had appearances on the other program. Oliver, Eb, Uncle Joe, Sam Drucker, Mr. Ziffel, etc, etc... even Arnold.. aaaaaaand of course, Mr. Haney.

Amazing the turns these threads take--ain't it? :^)

23-Mar-16
My dad told me about those shows. Way before my time :)

23-Mar-16
I always admired Arnold Ziffles's hams. I used to think how they would be salt cured served with red eye gravy with biscuits .

23-Mar-16
I knew you guys would remember these old shows. Mr. Haney was the greatest. LOL

23-Mar-16
Red eye gravy, now there is something I have not had in years. Probably my coronary arteries thank me for that though. :o)

• Sitka Gear