JRW 30-Mar-16
Rancid Crabtree 30-Mar-16
JRW 30-Mar-16
Nocturnal8 30-Mar-16
Rancid Crabtree 30-Mar-16
Helgermite 19-Apr-16
24-Mar-16

Konk1's Link
Anyone use these? What do you think of them? I know they've been around for a while. I'm going to purchase some new arrows and was thinking of giving these a try before I fletch the new arrows. Just wondering if they're worth investing in.

24-Mar-16
Interesting design.

I'd like to hear how it works out for you. I wouldn't mind trying them.

I googled them and the guys on AT seem to love them. For what that's worth.

It looks like the design would have you shooting in minutes. Just slide them on and go.

$30 a baker's dozen seems high. And I wonder how sturdy they are if you are shooting tight groups and hitting them from behind..

24-Mar-16
I shot them for years and killed a lot of deer and turkey using them. I only went back to Blazers because the kids shoot WB rests and it makes more sense economically for us all to shoot similar set ups. Paul the owner is one of the nicest, most helpful guys in the industry. His customer service is second to none. PM me with any set up specific questions you may have if you want.

25-Mar-16
FOBs are great. What they do for broadhead flight is amazing. Unfortunately FOB’s have too many drawbacks for me to continue to use them.

They hit my face at full draw. Huge negative for me with a beard and mustache.

They get pinched between the kisser button and string on short ATA bows and can cause the nock to come off the string causing a dry fire. Huge negative making them not worth using.

They are heavier than Blazers or feathers. Bad but not a deal breaker.

FOB was considering changes to address these problems but to date that have not. Another company started to address the negatives but they only launched a half-fast web site to show a picture but you cant buy them and they made the situation worse by making their product heavier.

To make the product usable they need to

1. Improve drop-away rest clearance.

2. Reduced/eliminate face contact.

3. Reduced weight. (less than existing FOB and closer to 3 Blazers/glue)

4. Increased spin rate.

5. Increase total surface area of fins.

6. Airfoil fins rather than flat.

Since StarrFlight has thus far been unresponsive to these improvements I just make my own that correct all the negatives with FOBs and improve the concept. Better, Faster, Lighter and all the other problems solved and the great flight and ease of instant re-fletching.

25-Mar-16
And I assume they don't work with stickbows off the shelf. I like how the arrows fly in the demo.

25-Mar-16
LOL no. I cant use them on any of my trad bows. I only use them when shooting a wheelie bow. I wont be using them on my bear hunt. I will be using a homemade bow and new homemade broadheads and shooting off the shelf.

FOBs were almost a fantastic idea an I cant understand why they wouldn't correct the problems. Others have the same complaints I do. I got tired of waiting for them to fix their product and just did it myself but yes it only works on a compound.

25-Mar-16
For me the face contact is like a kisser button, it's just another reference point for my anchor. The drop away clearance shouldn't be an issue for anyone if you are already shooting Blazers or similar profile vanes. Blazers are larger diameter than a FOB, so if your FOB makes contact your Blazer was also. They aren't for everyone, but they are a great product. Especially for hunting.

25-Mar-16

Rancid Crabtree's embedded Photo
The string pinch and dislodging the nock causing a dryfire was the killer. That constant worry that you are about to dry fire killed confidence in them.

Short ATA bows made this common place with a FOB. I can’t use the FOB with my new bow and a loop with a kisser button. It pops the arrow off the string every time even though these things are outstanding for bowhunting.

FOBs are great. What they do for broadhead flight is amazing. Unfortunately FOB’s have too many drawbacks for me to continue to use them. Hitting my face was also a big killer for me. I use a kisser. THe thing jujst needed to be moved forward a little to make it a better product.

I make my own Annular Airfoil fletching that eliminates all the negatives of FOBS but retains all the great things about them. Mine weigh less too (20 grains vs FOBs 25 grains) And mine have a faster spin rate for better stability of broadheads and I can make them in any color or combination of colors I like and I can do it at a lower cost to me. FOB wasn't willing to improve so I did it myself.

25-Mar-16
I like those improvements RC. Do they still pop off easily with a passthrough?

25-Mar-16
Yes, all the good features of FOBs were retained and all the negatives removed.

25-Mar-16
We are still perfecting the design to make the item induce lift rather than just cause spin. Our thinking is if each vane is an airfoil (like and airplane wing) and the annular ring itself is an airfoil which will induce lift we essentially take the weight off the back of a flying arrow causing lift on the back end greatly moving the FOC of the arrow towards the tip. We are thinking along the lines of this kids toy. Any fletching can cause spin but how many induce lift? We are creating an item that wont be able to be molded due to the cross sections so digital manufacturing is about the only way to make it. That is the beauty of this process, you can make items that cannot be made any other way. Lots of testing to be done.

25-Mar-16
Good luck with it RC. The Paul the owner/inventor of FOB's is an actual rocket scientist. If he hasn't made the "perfect FOB" it may not be possible. Although I know coming up with the idea and actually producing them in a cost effective way are some of the biggest problems.

25-Mar-16
Oh for the love of God! Seriously RC? You use one of your alias's to ask a question about a product and then respond saying they have to many draw backs and then show how your product is better than the original FOB. Do you think that we're all stupid and can't figure out what you're doing? Do us all a favor and just go away!

25-Mar-16
"Oh for the love of God! Seriously RC? You use one of your alias's to ask a question about a product and then respond saying they have to many draw backs and then show how your product is better than the original FOB. Do you think that we're all stupid and can't figure out what you're doing? Do us all a favor and just go away!"

Zinger I think if you polled the forum to see how many people other than yourself believe Konk is RC (or any of the other posters you accuse of being RC) you might find you're in the minority. Which kinda means you're sounding a tad like a crazy man, although the excitement that comes across in your posts does make me laugh so I guess crazy isn't all bad. Carry on.

26-Mar-16
I don't understand why some of you guys get so bent over him being here. He posts just like the rest of us. And He's pretty informative in my opinion.

26-Mar-16
I enjoy them all who ever they are its informative and entertaining until someone puts their eye out! Or takes their ball and goes home.

26-Mar-16
Zinger you really are as dumb as all these guys think you are and are telling you. Konk1 is real and like your other delusions is not me either. Several of us have met him numerous times. He is a WBH member. He will be at the Deer ant Turkey Expo on the Sunday of the event if you want to meet him face to face. What say you. Send him a PM and arrange a face to face so that you can rest your worried and skeptical mind.

Or, continue to waddle in ignorance. Any takers as to which zinger will choose? I think he would rather be ignorant. This is his chance to settle it.

But that would rock his world and he would have to admit he is wrong (again). He would hate to have come back here and say he was wrong and that Konk1 is a real person. Instead he will pout and pretend he has the answers. I think zinger makes a hobby out of pretending. ;-)

26-Mar-16
" If he hasn't made the "perfect FOB" it may not be possible. Although I know coming up with the idea and actually producing them in a cost effective way are some of the biggest problems. "

Yes, using older methods it is certainly not possible to truly optimize an Annular airfoil Fletching. Thanks to digital manufacturing we can make things that cannot otherwise be made. Im still perfecting the annular airfoil. There are concerns by some that what I propose would be louder than conventional fletching so I set up a camera and the boy and I did some test shooting in the back yard. We cant hear a difference.

As to making it in a cost effective manner, Im not very concerned. If they are truly an advantage but costly to make I will still make them as I see the advantage in it and care about improved broadhead flight. I stripped the blazers off a few arrows and shot them side by side with my existing arrow and I had to change nothing. They flew perfectly. Thus far, all the advantages of FOB and none of the negatives. Its enjoyable researching, designing, making and hunting with items you craft yourself. Im also making a new single bevel broadhead for my Zone D bear hunt where I will use a homemade longbow.

26-Mar-16
RC good luck with the long bow. I only shot one deer and one bear with mine, for some reason, never was a great long bow shooter...... anyway in 1998, I was carrying my Big River Long bow, why my friend was going on to bait.....

There was a bear on the bait, and I told him, I am going to try and take him.

I was able with a good wind, and wet conditions, to get up next to him, behind some evergreens, and at 7 steps, I sent a bear razor head thru his middle....

He just about knocked me down, going by me, and I said wow.... my friend could not believe it, he kept saying, I can not believe this,,,,,,,

bear went 40 yards and piled up. 179 dressed, not the biggest bear, but extra exciting,,,,,,,,,,

26-Mar-16
Im far from a good longbow shooter in spite of how long Ive been shooting one. I have all summer to improve.

26-Mar-16
Why do people think you're all these people? Maybe because you've used so many different names in the past that no one trusts you anymore.

26-Mar-16
Nope! that's just something in you have convinced yourself of. Just like you were 100% certain I am konk1. You are wrong with him and all the others you were 100% certain of. There are people here that have created handles posing as me thinking it would reflect negatively on me. You fell for that too because you wanted so badly for it to be true. You talked yourelf into it. You got played.

Now, you dont do the proper thing and come back here and say "Sorry RC, I guess I was wrong" You just move onto the next conspiracy theory. LOL

24/7/365 Thanks for all the effort you put into me. It means a lot to me.

Now if you are done being a jackass, move along. Pout elsewhere.

26-Mar-16
R. Is one point C. Is four points total 5 points

K. 5 pts O. 1 pts N. 1 pts K 5 pts total 12 points

Perhaps Zinger wish you a higher value handle to reflect your higher Value! Let the games continue or not <~~~~~<<<<< €

27-Mar-16
I was told there would be no math. ;-)

27-Mar-16
I would never use them, I just like the looks of feathers,,,,,,,, look pretty cool on video though....

going to try razars, instead of blazers this year, with the compound......

27-Mar-16
Same here Razor, Out of my trad bows its only barred feathers. Out of the compounds I love experimenting and innovating and pushing the limit. Drop away rests make that a possibility.

28-Mar-16
I can assure you ladies and gentleman and Zinger I am NOT RC. I asked the question about the FOB's simply for information, will I actually purchase them...that remains to be seen. My current set up includes Rayzr feathers and I am quite satisfied with them. But like most archers we are always searching for the ideal set up. Since I have new arrows and no fletching on them now is the time to experiment if I'm going to. Simple as that.

28-Mar-16
It wont matter what you say to those that demand that I have multiple handles. They are so invested in their conspiracy theory that they could meet you face to face (As I and others have already) and they would still come away insisting I am Konk1. You cant reason with goofy folks. Zinger wont come here and say he screwed up yet again. He will just pick another person here and deflect and claim that guy is me too. ;-)

28-Mar-16
I will admit that I may be wrong about Konk1 but it's only because RC has used so many different names in the past that we can't take anything he says seriously. He's a pathalogical liar.

28-Mar-16
That too is something you have manufactured and convinced yourself of and are very invested in so you are unwilling to concede your error. You were 100% certain Konk1 was me just like you are 100% certain all the other people are me. One of me is more than enough. You try way to hard Colombo.;-)

Clearly zinger you don't seem even remotely interested in fletching or advanced airfoil fletching so please take your tedious pouting to other threads. Go be a jackass someplace else.

28-Mar-16
Back to the original topic...Any other FOB users have any input?

29-Mar-16

Rancid Crabtree's Link
The boy and I have been looking into the viability of bringing our annular airfoil fletch to market so we have been doing patent searches. Its clear from the comments we have been reading that FOB users have issues with face contact and dry fires from string pinch pushing the nock off the string at full draw.

The originator of FOB (Paul Morris) recognizes this and there was a picture posted on Archery Talk of a slightly modified (chamfered) FOB he was contemplating to reduce the string pinch problem. It turns out he didn’t make those changes and bring that improvement to market. Instead, Paul focused on a sliding FOB in which the user places a slip fit FOB on the shaft all the way up to the broadhead or field point, then you place a special stopper and nock on the arrow.

At launch, its expected that the FOB will slide to the back of the shaft and stop at the special hook. This corrects the problem that even the originator recognized with face contact and string pinch. Here is a picture from the patent document (which was filed back in 2002 and granted in 2003)

At the same time, a guy who likewise did not like the problems with FOBS and the face contact and string pinch created a product which was nearly a direct copy of the FOB but slides it away from the nock. Unfortunately, since he copied the FOB, he only has a simple tubular ring and flat fins and did not take advantage of applying airfoils to both those surfaces. Also, his new product is far heavier than FOB’s (Fobs weigh 24.5 grains) and this new FOB that guy created weighs 32 grains. (he made it far heavier)

This hunter FOB is still awaiting patent approval which is still a long way out. He created a web site to show the product but h is not taking orders. Look at hunters FOB online to see his product (its not available for purchase.)

Meanwhile, I still designing the optimum airfoil fins and airfoil annual ring to both stabilize and increase spin rate as well as reducing weight to what I expect will be 22 grains. As well as designing sizes for std carbons, Axis arrows and micro diameter arrows. Its still too soon to determine if we will bring this to market but we will most likely seek protection of the design with the patent office.

29-Mar-16
A solution looking for a problem.

29-Mar-16
Correct, I see he patented the idea of the sliding FOB back in 2002 and 14 years later its still not on the market. Like you I don’t see the problem its solving except for the guy that uses a W.B. rest or a prong rest.

29-Mar-16
I was talking about FOBs in general. That sliding thing was on the market back in the 80s or very early 90s. It didn't do well.

30-Mar-16
"I was talking about FOBs in general."

Then I will disagree. Innovators will forever be trying to come up with ways to stabilize and improve broadhead flight. Hell an entire industry (mechanical broadheads) was created because of this problem.

If bird feathers, tied on a river cane shaft with sinew was the best solution, we would still be using that. Then we would not have Blazers or Rayzrs or Quickspins or FOBs or all the other advancements. Nor would we have drop away rests. Advanced fletching is most definitely not a solution looking for a problem. It the exact opposite.

30-Mar-16
If you don't know how to stabilize broadhead flight, then you need to learn how to tune a bow. It's not that difficult. I've seen little kids do it.

P.T. Barnum was a genius.

30-Mar-16
While I do and many here do, it can't be denied many don't know how to get great broadhead flight. Why do you think mech heads are so sought after?

Advanced fletching that generates increased spin rates while increasing spin stability to improve broadhead flight is a good thing even for those that know how to tune a bow. Is advanced fletched necessary? Nope!, neither are compound bows. Anybody can learn to shoot a longbow. Ive seen kids do it. Why seek any advances or improvements? Just learn to do it with wood arrows with tied on feathers and a longbow. ;-)

P.T Barnum was correct. There are guys out there actually falling for compound bows and carbon arrows and Blazers and releases and drop away rests when a homemade wood longbow is all they really need. Suckers.

I will assume you don't use any of those gimmicks nor fletchings on your perfectly tuned longbow.

30-Mar-16
Reductio ad absurdum with a dash of straw man on the side, gotta love it.

30-Mar-16
It's easy to agree with you rancid.

30-Mar-16
"It's easy to agree with you rancid. "

Obviously. ;-)

19-Apr-16
From the looks of it, at 90 yards your arrow path had to fit between or just under some of the branches on the tree to you left.

• Sitka Gear