razorhead 25-Mar-16
yelper tom 25-Mar-16
Buck Watcher 25-Mar-16
Reggiezpop 26-Mar-16
Bloodtrail 02-Apr-16
Bloodtrail 03-Apr-16
stagetek 16-Apr-16
24-Mar-16
DSD and Avain X sport some top dollar and realistic decoys for turkey hunting. Are they worth it - what do you think?

24-Mar-16
I have the avian x decoys. They are as real as they come. But they are inflatable. I keep mine blown up. So carrying 3 decoys gets bulky along with camera equipment and everything else. I've limited to just a lone hen decoy.

24-Mar-16
I just picked up the avIan x breeder hen the other day. Pumped to use it 1st season. I usually use a Tom and hen the 1st couple seasons, then hen only. I paid $ 80 for the hen so I'm hoping the toms don't run away from her. :)

24-Mar-16
Those turkey decoys look very real - but I have had feather flex for years...wonder if my odds/numbers would increase?

24-Mar-16

Elkaddict's Link
Try this decoy with your bow or shotgun. You can't possibly have any more fun hunting turkeys than this decoy provides.

I've shot 4 turkeys at less than 5 yards in the last 3 years. Numerous more under 10.

$45

24-Mar-16
I have DSD's. Not needed, and not used as often, but they look damn good. I've killed more without, than with. Baby soft calling works best.

24-Mar-16
I have DSD, Avian X, and Best Decoys Dakota Jake. I just bought the DSD's a few weeks ago so we will see how they work. The others are good, but I still had some hang ups. Now for me I pretty much only use decoys when hunting turkeys with a bow. I want a close shot and realistic decoys seem to make the difference for that. Any old decoy will work to bring them in to 60 yards and under. That's all the closer I need them for my turkey gun, although I really prefer not to shoot over 45. It seems like they hang up and strut farther out with the cheaper dekes. Not that they won't/can't do that with the expensive ones or none.

24-Mar-16
I agree with RutnStut. I started out with cheap primos decoys and switched to DSD. In general they same to hang up less with the DSD

24-Mar-16
I use a single DSD hen mostly. Plus I repainted my old feather flex hens to match the colors of my DSD somewhat. It really adds to the realism of the feather flex dekes. I turkey hunt four different states as well as Wisconsin and my dekes always take a beating. Its nice to touch them up with some color. I've had the FF hens since they first came out and they show it.

24-Mar-16
What type of paint for decoy touch up?

24-Mar-16
BT, I use anything that hobby lobby has. I even use their doll eyes to give more realism to the FF hens.

24-Mar-16
If I were to only invest in one "expensive" decoy, it would a DSD jake or similar.

24-Mar-16
I haven't used decoys for about 15 years and after reading this thread I realize how out of the loop I have been.

They have come one heck of a long way since I have bought my first one!!

I am thinking the Heads Up turkey decoy with a fan attached to my bow is the way to go. Do they supply the fan or should I use one of my jake tails?

Thanks for all the input.

25-Mar-16
well I have done it all, like most here, but to tell you the truth, when I used a gun, I simply stalked them, got in front of them, and ambushed them, using a guile suit,,,,,,,,,

to me that was a lot of fun...... last year I bought that chicken on a stick, by primos, and man that changed the whole game, too much fun......

my friends used it, and all shot birds, and I missed twice with my recurve,,,,, I have to remember not to go for a head shot, its easy to say, but when the brain takes over, that is what I shoot for........

I bought some knee pads for antelope hunting at a trad shoot, and they help, in stalking over rough ground

I looked at the Heads UP decoy yesterday, pretty cool also.....

going to try and buy some tags for Waupaca Co tomorrow since they seem to have a few left for late season

either way, its all a lot of fun

25-Mar-16
Hard to beat the dsd jake! The posture and detail to color will drive any gobbler crazy! Add the submissive hen looking away from the blind and he will most likely mount her looking away giving you opportunity to draw! I also like the dsd feeder! It will help calm weary birds

25-Mar-16
Montana Miss Purrfect. $50. Best decoy I have seen. Avian X weight a ton. Miss Purrfect fits in my pocket and is set up in seconds. They make a jake this year.

26-Mar-16
Montana looks like it got a great line up of turkey and whitetail decoys. Thanks, Buck Watcher.

02-Apr-16
Thanks Raspy!

03-Apr-16

Bloodtrail's embedded Photo
Bloodtrail's embedded Photo
Well I pulled the trigger!

The only reason I did because I was able to get what I believed was a rather incredible deal!

The Jake was listed at 79.99 as the hens were listed at 64.00...

Store was offering a "red bag" special that allowed for a 18% discount! If it fit in the bag - which they did - discount.

Boom - one checkout line later - I'm in business....

16-Apr-16
I just purchased a Montana Purrfect hen and jake. We'll see how they work next Wed.

• Sitka Gear