Ace 08-Apr-16
bigbuckbob 09-Apr-16
Ace 27-Apr-16
notme 28-Apr-16
Ace 28-Apr-16
spike78 28-Apr-16
GF 11-May-16
25-Mar-16
A few months ago we put out a trail cam. I'm in Plymouth. We got pics of bucks, does, raccoons, a long leg bobcat, turkeys. Then in a snowstorm we got a pic of a wild boar. Decades ago there was a pig farm near rt72. Maybe a escapee? There goes the neighborhood lol. My garden too. I seen a dark grey Lynx one day too crossing the road here. The long legged bobcat is unusual. I see regular bobcats when fishing at night. But never a tall one. I have a camp in vt in the heart of the best deer and bear hunting. We're aware of looking out for wild animals. We need to avoid them as they avoid us. I keep an eye on my pets too. We have a growing predator problem in ct. We have coyotes and some are the size of female German shepards. Seen these at the Bristol red.

25-Mar-16
Can you post the pic??

And does anybody know what regs would apply to wild/feral swine in this state? I can't imagine bumping into any stray cattle in this state, but if I did, I sure wouldn't be thinking about shooting.

Pigs would be a whole 'nother ball o' wax...

25-Mar-16
1911, please post the pic.

Feral pigs in CT are considered the property of the person who "lost" them and come under the jurisdiction of the Dept of Agriculture. You cannot shoot them, only the owner can.

They have been reported in CT a few times over the last 5 or 6 years, but officially we have no "population" of them.

I have spoken to the head of the Wildlife Div of the DEEP about this several times, and suggested they come up with a plan, because once they are here, or rather once the DEEP admits they are here, it will be too late to eliminate them.

Since this is CT, and since the professional biologists have all the answers, they'll ignore the problem until it smacks them in the face.

25-Mar-16
I do nuisance wildlife control in CT/RI. I had a call last year for a hog that was destroying a lady's lawn. I never tried to catch the pig, but wanted to. It was in Windham county. So, I'm sure there are a few in the state. It doesn't take long for pigs to become feral and start growing longer hair and tusks.

My cousin works/lives on a farm in N. Stonington and has cows get out once in a while. They head into a swamp and he has to hunt them down. Took three months to finally get a shot at one of them. Said it was the best hunt ever for a specific animal.

25-Mar-16
There going to ruin my garden crops. I'll see if my son can post a pic of it. I need to check my trail cam too. I have Wild America in my back yard. My land goes from the water shed to the bottoms all forest. It's been plenty of deer, bear, bobcat and turkeys till the trail cam.

Once the wild boar multiply it's too late. Open a season and let's BBQ before it's too late.

29-Mar-16
Interesting. Several years ago there was one hit by a car up here (MA) a few miles from some areas I have hunted over the years. Suspected escaped from a farm. I've never seen other sign of them... Based on what i've seen them do to places in SC... Lets hope they dont make it up here!

29-Mar-16
Wild boar can be dangerous. You can defend yourself if its coming right for you. see link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt6kKhlX8vU

30-Mar-16
They will be here soon. Already feral in PA and NY. They will really piss the farmers off. They tear up everything and breed like rabbits. Just got back from FL> No license required. They want every one gone.

30-Mar-16
From what I read New Hampshire has a small population of feral hogs.

30-Mar-16
Love shooting them with scary black rifles! LOL!

31-Mar-16
How about that pic 1911?

08-Apr-16
So Wednesday night I'm talking to a biologist with the DEEP about this issue. I suggest that they need a plan, because once they are here it will be too late to figure out what to do and then take action.

The gist of it, is that they have enough to do with what is already on their plate and are understaffed and spread pretty thin.

2 minutes later, I'm shown a picture of a mature pig skull, cutters intact, (and well developed) that was found in the woods in Southbridge MA. They may be here sooner than we expected. I made sure the Biologist got to see the pic too.

Pig Roast anyone?

09-Apr-16
I had to go to a staff meeting last week and there was a bore there,.....almost fell asleep twice.

27-Apr-16

Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo

28-Apr-16
Pretty cool n scary bud..where at

28-Apr-16
In Mass, couple of miles from the CT line.

If anyone knows 1911, get in touch with him, and ask him to post the pic he said he got. I PMed him, but he never responded.

28-Apr-16
That's a cool find. I never saw one here in MA. I'm working on getting a trailcam pic from someone who got a mountain lion on cam in CT. They say it's 100% no question a lion.

11-May-16
Looks like whoever found that skull put the pieces back together without knowing much about how those tusks mesh!

Kinda cool, though... I can think of a LOT of fun projects for those tusks.

Interesting that the OP evaporated... Maybe it turned out to be Bigfoot instead...

• Sitka Gear