Moultrie Mobile
Elk Permit Increase
South Dakota
Contributors to this thread:
DR 25-Mar-16
Brotsky 28-Mar-16
Animal Killer 29-Mar-16
25-Mar-16
If you hadn't seen this already. 755 antlerless tag increase proposed. Tough to grow the herd when more and more cow tags keep getting pushed. Attend and let them know or at least send an e-mail.

ARCHERY AND FIREARMS ELK SEASON PROPOSED PIERRE, S.D. - The South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks Commission proposed the 2016 and 2017 archery and firearms elk seasons Thursday at their March meeting.

The proposed archery season would run Sept. 1-30 in 2016 and 2017. In comparison to the 2015 season, the proposed season has an additional three any elk licenses and 84 additional antlerless elk licenses.

The Commission also proposed the 2016 and 2017 Black Hills elk hunting seasons with an increase of 768 licenses from 2015; with 13 additional any elk licenses and 755 antlerless licenses. The proposed season would run Oct. 1-31, 2016, for hunters possessing an any elk hunting license.

The Commission also proposed an antlerless hunting subunit in Unit 2, and a new format and timeframe for antlerless hunting. In Units 2 and 3, there will be subunits with an antlerless license allocation and each will have approximately a two week period to hunt. Those time periods will be either the second half of October, first half of December, or the last half of December. In all remaining antlerless hunting units, hunters will have the ability to hunt the second half of October and the ability to come back during the first half of December to hunt.

The Commission will finalize these proposals during their April 7-8, 2016, meeting at the McCrory Gardens in Brookings. Written comments can be emailed to [email protected]. To be part of the official public record, comments must be received by 12 p.m. CDT on April 7, 2016. Please include your full name along with the city and state of residence. If you would like to comment in person, the public hearing will be April 7, 2016, at 2 p.m. CDT.

28-Mar-16
DR, thanks for posting. I had sent an e-mail to the commission 10 days ago or so. This is way out of line in my opinion. The herd bounces back because of a couple nice winters and we decide it's time to slaughter them all. Give them 2-3 more years then look at these numbers on a consistent basis. We have to stop with this "kill 'em all in one year" philosophy.

29-Mar-16
Im not too up to date on the elk herd nor the ins and outs of what the locals out west see on a day to day basis. I would agree there seems to be way to many permits given out at one time. Time to give the GFP what we the hunters think. I like the idea of keeping lower tags numbers so hunters are not competeing with other hunters once season comes.

• Sitka Gear