Trax 08-Apr-16
Bootspit 10-Apr-16
Trax 11-Apr-16
Mike F 11-Apr-16
Steve White 12-Apr-16
Jeff in MN 15-Apr-16
26-Mar-16

Bowster's Link
Many here say this does not happen. I have seen it with whitetails.

26-Mar-16
Not surprised at all. Usually hear about thrill killing every year from others in this state. It's a shame as we know it

26-Mar-16
Happens in WI.deer yards all across the northwoods during heavy snowfall years.

26-Mar-16
I would like to know what one benefit, the wolves are for the landscape in Wisconsin.........

26-Mar-16
I keep hearing stories about these mass killings. Does anybody have pictures to document? I havent seen a single picture from Wisconsin showing the mass killing fields of deer by wolves. I find this strange since theres so much emotion over this issue. You would certainly think there would be a whole bunch of people who couldnt wait to document this. Anybody???

26-Mar-16
Razor we live in a feel good society. That's the only benefit that I can think of.I'm not against the hole wolf thing but at this time we are in dire need of management. Pine marten restoration areas have to go,so trapping can take place in these areas. I have seen in deer yards where wolves have killed more than they eat. In the bigger yards in Bayfield,Ashland and Sawyer counties there is more than one pack feeding in the same deer yard. Retro I don't have physical documentation, I only took up the picture thing in the last few years. I do not believe it happen alot, but I know it takes place. Mike

26-Mar-16
retro.....last year there was a post on here that I posted pictures in...we found 13 dead deer in the same deer yard, some as fresh as the night before, although I believe some were wolf kills and some coyote.

26-Mar-16
MF-what county?

26-Mar-16
Bayfield

27-Mar-16
Gunner, I agree the Pine marten area needs some adjustments by the time wolf trapping comes back. But, I believe cable restraints are allowed in those areas now, if there was a wolf season. At least two years ago there was an effort to get large traps for wolf sets allowed there too. Would be nice to hear if there has been any progress made along that line or if the wolf seasons being closed shut down the incentive to pursue it.

As far as the elk slaughter picture goes. I have never heard of wolfs lining up their kills to show them off like that. :-) But seriously why not just leave them out where the wolfs killed them, they might have come back to eat them instead of killing more.

27-Mar-16
What about the event that just happened in Merrill. I know wasn't wolves. This week it's rabid unicorns.

Really, how many are going into the deer yards to find numbers of fresh kills? How many even know where the yards are? Not all the many!!

How many deer are really going to the yards. So thrill kills will be harder to locate outside the yards in the big woods. Not been really enough snow to push deer into the yards. Oh wait, your talking about the yards of people baiting right? This is the first year in I dont know how many no baiting in a only a few of the more wolf populated counties. Even then it has not completely stopped. Only seen the deer sparsely begin to return to more natural feeding this year. Because people are still feeding. So the deer are moving to those areas more so than any yards. I have only seen the deer using one yard I know of this winter. Even then they were traveling to nearby houses. Very few to no wolves coming into that area. So would not find any kills.

I spend a hell of a lot of time in the woods all winter. Logged just over 100 days with the dogs in the woods this winter. However, I try to stay as far away from the wolves as possible. Dont have time to go following them around looking for kill sites. Perhaps you do. If so, will be happy to point you in the right direction. Hell, I'll even buy you a few boxes of bullets. For safety reasons of course.

Even as much as I try to avoid the wolves. Dogs have been followed 3 times. With one extremely lucky I was not killed altercation. Last Saturday had a dog followed out by 3. Had waited for her. Not went to cut her off. I doubt she would have made it out alive. They were real close!!

There are far to many out there. The DNR will not tell us anything close to an accurate number. Information is being withheld form the public on what they do know. Show me a recent pack list. You will not be able to do so!! They dont want the public to know so misconceptions are not made. DNR words not mine!! They will deny and discount as much as possible the carnivore track program is a joke. Argued with the head a couple of times. Flat told me know way wolves in those areas. Because packs dont overlap. They dont have territoires less than 40-50sq miles. Yet, wont accept my findings, or come out with me. Then flat lie when being talked to. Only through cohersion was I even able to get a loose admittance on a pack the does not exist. Only 3 and we thingk they are hybrds. Well in that spot of the Stone Lake pack. I had 2 packs within 1/2 mile of me at same time!! One pack of 4 east got within 300yds then followed deer to the SE. Second pack of 6 came from the north. Hit road 1/2 mile away worked road west for over 2 miles going across another road to the west. Also a pack of 3 6 miles to the NE that morning. That came to a road from the east. Walked it for over a mile then went NE. But none of these exist.

Ohhh, and here is the big shocker. No packs south of the escanaba lk pack until you get to the casian pack, or the coheresed stone lake pack. BUT, there is the St Germain pack which is along 70 east of St Germain.

WHAT? Wait a second. You told me packs WILL NOT coexist and will have a minimum of 40-50 Sq mile ranges. Does this not put the Rock Lake, Escanaba Lake, Pincherry Lake, and St Germain packs. All in overlapping territories? What about the Casian, stone lake and I forget other Rhinelander pack. Same thing!!

I got another pack of 3 right behind my house. ANother pack of 5 about 5 miles SE. All which do not exist.

Due to some paperwork snafu my name got left off the tracker list. How convenient! But, a paid tracker in my block. That I have not seen out 1 single time. Nor have I seen anyone in the block to the north. If they are out there why is this??

Real easy for people to sit in the southern part of the state. Claim there is no problem, or that we need them. But many of these same folks will not set foot in these big woods. I have and will continuing to call these people out. Put on your big girl panties, and lets hit the woods. NOBODY EVER COMES!!! Why, are you scared?

Don't worry they will continue to move south. Then my problem will be yours. Promise, I wont laugh at you, too hard!!

27-Mar-16

Steve White's embedded Photo
If you have not seen this. Spots I found wold tracks around St Germain in a 2 week period back in January. Missing a few of them. NOPE! NO PROBLEM HERE!!

27-Mar-16

Here is one of many pics of tracks of pack of 3 behind my house. You see that no trespassing sign on the right. That is my neighbor right behind me. 1/4 mile a way at best. I backtracked them coming out of the St Geramin subdivision that day. These dont exist though!

27-Mar-16
You think this might aggravate me just a little!!!!

27-Mar-16
Steve I am afraid, all is lost,,,,, the dnr and feds love them wolves, you as a hunter and trapper, not so much........

The reintroduction of wolves was the worst thing that ever occurred to the far north,,,,,, oh yes that never happened...... they just happen to multiply faster from 1995 to 2005, than they ever did since the 70's,,,,, must have been some new super food they were on........

want to see wolf kills, talk to they guy who just finished taking out my popple, he is a cutter, for hire, he could tell you a few things.......

I do not hate wild things, in wild country, just hate the knowledge, that the growing of the wolf packs, was going to go off, without control, and when the control came, barely enough was allowed.......

the economic impact has been huge, and I hear it all the time from business people, come deer season, which is now a wash out for many, who use to depend or look forward to that cash cow coming

27-Mar-16
Steve I feel your pain. I live in the southern half of the state 20 miles outside Green Bay. I have a place in Clam Lake and spend alot of time there in the winter. Last few years not as much. I haven't been up there as much just because the yards I use to walk are mostly all but destroyed from , hard winter couple years back and depredation. Seen alot of half eaten deer skulls and deer legs chewed right to the hooves.Mike

27-Mar-16
"Don't worry they will continue to move south. Then my problem will be yours. Promise, I wont laugh at you, too hard!!"

Really Steve? I live in a county infested with wolves. Im well aware of there effect. Its obvious they kill deer. My question relates to this so called "thrill killing". Again why no pictures? Who the hell doesnt have a cell phone camera with them all the time? Im not happy about the wolf situation either with no management. But Im calling bullshit on "mass thrill killings" until someone proves it by documenting it. To many angry people with to many cameras to not have all kinds of proof.

27-Mar-16
retro what county you live in

27-Mar-16
Then why dont you go out and spend some time where they are. No doubt you will find the partially eaten and multiple carcasses. You think the wolves are going to parade them down your street for you.

I dont have the extra time or money to go playing around in their core areas. If I am not hunting or training. Then I am working on things for the next hunt. When I am out cutting tracks on roads and trails. This is not where you are going to find many kills. With your mentality. This would me wolves dont eat at all. In fact this winter I have not found a kill of a wolf, coyote, fisher, bird. The only kill I found all winter was where a bobcat buried what was left of a kill. So does this mean none of these critters are eating anything?

You sound like the DNR wolf people. Well, your tape measure doe not have MM on it. So we cant confirm that is a wolf track. WTF.

There have been numerous documented multiple depredations in this state. Ohhhh, but that's livestock so it dont count right.

Now how many areas have the deer concentrated and cornered enough. Mostly by deep snow. For it to be seen with any regularity? How many of these places are people even going back into during the winter months?

You know how many human tracks I cut more than 100yds from any trail or road here in the winter. Dont need fingers to count them.

When was the last time you were 2 miles deep in a swamp in the winter. Ass deep in the snow? Betting that dont happen much does it.

I also bet no matter what. You will cite living in the county with the highest wolf population in the state. Which I will call BS. Hide behind a handle. What makes you think I'll believe where you live.

I avoid the wolf areas. So I dont get dogs killed. Got a feeling you dont get out much in them either.

But I know. The wolves in WI. Are completely different than wolves anywhere else in the country. They have a whole separate set of rules they live by.

Yep, sound just like another wolf humper!

27-Mar-16

Steve White's Link
Read last years depredation report. You will see many multiples. Keep in mind this means killed. Injured dont count. Just like if your attacked by wolves, but skin is not broken. It is not an attack. It's only an encounter!!

27-Mar-16

Those holes are from only an encounter!

28-Mar-16
I'd like to hear your story on the holes Steve?

28-Mar-16
It's been posted several times. Dog got hunted down. Got lucky to get there before the slaughter. We had an "ENCOUNTER". Things got western. We survived. Lucky it was only 2 that day!

28-Mar-16
Ive seen the depredation report. Lots of 1's on there. Since my question has to deal with "mass thrill killlings", your apparently saying that anytime a wolf kills something, even 1 of something, its a "thrill kill"? So the only place you find concentrations of deer in the winter is "2 miles back in a swamp where no-one goes? OK Steve. Theres no concentrations of deer in the north around feed stations is there? How about concentrations of deer around logging operations? Should be plenty of thrill killings around these types of areas that concentrate deer numbers? But yet no pictures to verify? Still to far from the road?

Once again, wolves eat meat and lots of it. They have certainly had an effect on deer hunting in the north. Wolf numbers need to be controlled for sure. Do we have an argument there?

Im questioning mass thrill killing? A dead deer is a dead deer no matter when they kill it. Same effect if they kill them one at a time year round, or dozens at a time. Im asking if anyone has proof that they routinely mass kill without the need for food? If you know of documentation please share. Im interested. Save the tavern talk for someone else.

28-Mar-16

Jeff in MN's Link
This is Yellowstone and it is 19 elk that were thrill killed but how can anyone think the same does not apply here in northern Wisconsin.

28-Mar-16

Jeff in MN's Link
Check out this link to a study by the USGS on wolf consumption on elk.

I converted to deer by using 130# deer times the same meat to body ratio they used for elk .63 giving 82# of meat per average deer. Then divided that into the 769# of elk meat that a wolf 'eats' per month to get 9.4 deer killed by one wolf each month. I know to some degree I am guessing on the average weight of a deer in wolf territory of Wisconsin and the assumption that the body to meat ratio is the same as elk. Also implied assumption that the elk/deer ratio on a wolf's diet compared to other prey is similar in both states.

Conclusion, each wolf kills 112 deer each year. Assume there are 1000 wolf in Wisconsin and that is 112,000 deer out of the herd every year. That is assuming the wolfs are not eating elk in the elk range of Wisconsin.

So does anyone think that a wolf actually eats 25# of meat each day much less 25# of venison each day? The difference between that 25# and what they actually eat is probably mostly the thrill kill.

28-Mar-16
retro, what county are you in,,,,, I was curious since you have a lot of wolves around your house,,,,,,,,

I know the area Steve is talking about, and I doubt people could comprehend all the wolves in that area...

The reason, I have no idea, but Steve is in a golden triangle of wolves, with the peak, just north of watersmeet......

a government trapper told me, its because it is a perfect blend of forest and swamp and lakes etc, and the wolves love this particular area,,,,,,,,

28-Mar-16
We have 100's of trail cam pics of wolves in southern Shawano county. Many of the pics are in broad daylight.

28-Mar-16
we had 11 cameras on 500 acres. Some cams never had pics of any wolves. Point being if we had only 2 or 3 cameras out we would be convinced there were no wolves here.

28-Mar-16
Jeff, that was very interesting and well thought out.

This are is tough to even consistently locate wolves at times. Due to the seasonal roads, private property, etc. In many cases just now way to get into these areas except on foot. Or breaking the law.

One area just to east of me. Snipe lake, Ewald lake, etc game trails. Large area with little access. Mentioned the Stone lake pack to my south. That area is huge. At minimum 5 miles by 3 miles with no access in winter. Very little in summer really. Escanaba lake area also huge. Many large areas that prevent documentation of anythhing. Foot travel in winter is no picnic.

For as many as there in this area. It's much worse out west. Douglas and surrounding counties are about the worst there are. Travel in winter is a lot better than what it is here. Here I need a snowmobile in most cases to hunt in winter. Most of my friends out that way have no use for them. Far more roaded up.

Plenty of documentation of thrill kills out west. Just not going to see it in the same way here. Perhaps 20yrs ago you would. But now, your are not going to see large herds of deer together to facilate that. I dont recall when the last time I seen 10 deer in a group here. 4-5 normally at best. Maybe a few more in baited areas next to town. Wolves attack a herd of 10. They get 1 maybe 2 while the rest scatter. Not the same as hitting a herd of 20-50 elk in deep snow. Where they can take a larger number. Access, and the ability to see much further to find this stuff. Is completely different. How many places other than lakes in Northern WI are open areas. You can spot and stalk game? Cover is far more dense to be able to see things. Herd sizes are smaller. So it is obvious you will not see the scale of things here as out west. Dont see the huge packs of wolves either.

Also got to keep in mind. Things are wanted to be kept secret. Swept under the table. Blame passed to anything else possible. Farmer has 3 cows killed and 3 injured. Anyway to pass the blame is done. Recent attack in Merrill is a perfect example. Packs of coyotes killing, really. Big packs of coyotes? Does that not seem a bit of stretch? Can't say I have ever seen more than 3-4 adult yotes together. That is normally only in breeding season. Sure for the first few months or so after pups are born. Will see a family group together. But they quickly disperse. Coyotes are mostly loners. Super packs of yotes is a huge stretch on things.

If people really knew what was out there. Even I might be shocked at the true number of wolves we really have. Even with the numbers that are forced down our throats in the midwest. Our populations are higher than some Canadian provinces. Manitoba is said to have 4000 wolves. How many does MN have? Now compare the wolf territories of WI, MN, and the UP. To that of Canadian provinces. Things get a bit unnerving!

28-Mar-16

Drop Tine's Link
Here is a documented thrill killing by wolves. It was first blamed on yotes and has since been changed to wolf kills.

28-Mar-16
Good thing they changed the blame to Wolfs. With tracks that big right there how could anyone that knows anything about wolf mistake it for yote.

28-Mar-16
Razorhead, Lincoln.

28-Mar-16
Today I put 17 miles on my boots in the bush. Following some of the logic here This is what I determined.

I did not find any sign of anything that had been killed. So all predators in the area are vegan.

I did not find any sheds. So there are no bucks in the area.

I found loads of porky sign. So there are no fishers in the area.

Just a few of my observations deep in the bush.

28-Mar-16

Pulled chips from several cameras I have scattered around today. On one I found one of the most awesome things any hunter in Northern WI can see. Just hope he spreads it to one of his buddies! Pic was taken 3 22 16 about 4pm.

28-Mar-16
Drop Tine, I heard today that the tests cam back from the dead steers. They died of some sort of poisoning related to food they ate. Don't get me wrong I don't like wolves, but it doesn't look like they did any killing. BUT I'm guessing the same people who originally said the wolf tracks as big as a mans hand were made by coyotes, are the same people who did the autopsy :)

29-Mar-16
First I heard of that one. Just goes to show they will do whatever it takes to point the blame in another direction. A super pack of 15-20 coyotes is beyond asinine. Worried about paying out, and creating a hysteria with wolves. Sadly some actually will believe a coyote pack of that size.

29-Mar-16
There used to be big coyote packs in the 70's and 80's before wolves but after wolves it's a 1 or 2 yotes together up north.

Down south here the biggest pack I have seen, got on trail camera video is 5 yotes together. Down to 2 now if you get my drift.

29-Mar-16
Agree too many wolves, and they need management downward in a big way. As for the elk out west, a real shame, but one has to wonder about concentrating them with feeding programs. It's bound to draw a pile of predators that just can't help getting worked into a frenzy.

29-Mar-16
Yes, 19 elk killed in a thrill killing. Also over 200 sheep killed by wolves near Dillon. The animals should indeed have been left in place, with rifles positioned waiting to take out the killers.

I am from Idaho originally with many relatives in Montana and Idaho still. I hunt those states near every year. I can tell you wolves are shot on sight by the population at large and actively hunted. In some places trapped. Now that the Feds have allowed them to populate as they have this fact has made little difference. We can't seem to put a dent in the wolf population while deer, elk, moose and in a couple places sheep populations have been decimated.

I know of one case in a western district in Montana and in Idaho where state officials are quietly shooting packs from the air, in vain attempts to lower the wolf numbers.

We need the Feds to get out of the way and allow the states to manage this predator as the state sees fit. In the numbers wolves are found now they are nothing but a parasite.

29-Mar-16
The bigger the country the harder it is to get rid of these parasites we call wolves. Hunted moose in Alberta a couple of years ago. I had no intention of buying a wolf tag. Didn't need to. I paid the outfitter for my moose tag and then he also handed me a "wolf permit". I think it was legit. He told me if I see 10 wolves, I'd better shoot 10 wolves if I wanted to be fed that night. They shoot every wolf they see, bait them, trap them, hunt them. Shoot them out the window on the way to church. They still can not get the wolf population under control.

Every year that passes is making it harder to ever get this parasite under control.

29-Mar-16
I copied this from an email I just got:

Wisconsin RMEF Members,

URGE YOUR SENATORS TO PASS THE SHARE ACT The stakes have never been higher for hunters in Wisconsin and other states where gray wolves have surpassed population objectives. We simply must put predator management in the hands of the states. RMEF will continue to push for the necessary legislative and legal changes to make that happen.

The House of Representatives recently passed a critically important bill to hunters—the Sportsmen’s Heritage and Recreation Enhancement (SHARE) Act. It includes language that reinstates the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service decision to delist the gray wolf in the Western Great Lakes and Wyoming from the Endangered Species Act, and returns the authority to manage wolves to individual states.

That bill is now in the hands of the Senate. We hoped the Senate would move the SHARE Act when it recently debated the energy bill. Unfortunately, holds on the energy bill by Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) and Sen. Bill Nelson (D-FL) prevent it or any other important bills that could be attached to it from advancing.

RMEF continues to work with Senators from both sides of the aisle to find an opportunity to pass the SHARE Act. I encourage every RMEF member to contact Senators and urge them to work together as a body to pass the bill so it can be forwarded to President Obama’s desk. Thank you for your prompt attention to this worthy legislation.

M. David Allen RMEF President & CEO

29-Mar-16
Yes, elections have serious consequences.

Know who and what you are voting for. So few do.

29-Mar-16
I was also told it was ruled that the steers were not killed by any predator, but by disease. Steve, it sounds like your saying you know this is some sort of cover-up. What first hand knowledge do you have of the situation to make such a claim?

29-Mar-16
Politics today scare me, at least for the younger hunters..... on the one hand you have most democrats that never want harm to a wolf, than you have republicans that would sell off all federal land if they could..........

29-Mar-16
Trumps kid Eric is a big time hunter. He wins and wolves will get hammered.

30-Mar-16
"than you have republicans that would sell off all federal land if they could.......... "

Really. ALL Federal land. NOBODY has said that. I am all for selling state and federal lands that do not make sense for the state or fed to own. At the same time I am all for maintaining and buying more land that DOES make sense for them to own. This state alone pays millions of dollars every year to maintain land and a large percentile does not make any sense for them to own. Not to mention the lost tax revenue. You're painting a picture based purely on fantasy. 21 trillion in debt in this nation, it's time to wake up and get smart.

"Trumps kid Eric is a big time hunter. He wins and wolves will get hammered."

Same if Ted Cruz wins and maybe more so. Likely the same if it were Kasich. If either socialist gets in it will be more big power leftist government. We all will continue to lose, but the wolves "rights" will prosper.

30-Mar-16
Yep, everything the WDNR says is true. Nothing is ever hidden from the public.

If that is the case. Then why every time there is a kill. Is the blame always tired to be pointed at something else. If there is nothing to point the blame at other than the wolf. It becomes there is not enough evidence to confirm wolf involvement.

Look at the Aniwa killings. First it's coyotes. Now it's disease. But the evidence of wolves is clearly there. Tests now show these animals had disease. But, was the the cause of all them suddenly falling over dead. If they were sick enough for that. Would the owner not have seen some signs of it. By all textbook information. What are the first game animals to be taken by predators? The old, sick, and wounded. So if they did have an illness. Would they not be the first to be taken. But in this case we are supposed to believe that wolves were only passing through, or were merely scavenging the carcasses. YEP!

Another perfect example that happens often. Few years ago. On Hwy G outside Eagle River. Owner watched dog get snatched up by a wolf. Chased after it resulting in the wolf dropping the dog. Investigation finally came after a snowfall. States stance not enough evidence to confirm a wolf attack. NO KIDDING! Local vet stepped up and verified it. State then accepted it a wolf attack.

Now IF everything they tell us is true. IF they never hide anything. Then why is there no published information. On the current wolf packs in the state. Then why is there no published status reports of the population since 2012. They wouldn't be hiding or covering things up would they?

I have spent numerous hours combing through every document published on the WDNR and USDA websites. Before even posting this. Spent over an hour again looking. Still cannot find anything current other than old data with new dates on 1 page documents. Why is this.

Why when given information on wolf locations. Is this information tossed aside, ignored, or discounted. That information might show more wolves then they want the numbers to show. Perish the thought.

You go ahead and believe the WDNR. I will trust my own educated eyes!!

30-Mar-16
These next 3 pics are of 4 different wolf packs all on the same day. BUT!!!!!! There are no wolves in the area. The only wolves that may be in the area. Are the Stone lake rd pack of 3. That is not always there, and we believe them to only be hybrids!! The observations you made although cannot be confirmed as wolves. Most likely would have been the same pack.

WTF!! When did they get helicopters? So they could travel miles without crossing roads to get to the different area. How are they able to be in different locations at the same time? How can there be different numbers of them in these locations as well? Stone lake pic is perfect example. 2 packs in the same time period I was there in the woods. No possible way for the same animals to be in 2 places at once. Even if they moved at light speed. Would still have to leave tracks indicating the direction of travel. None of which was present. Is something being hidden or covered up here?

30-Mar-16

30-Mar-16

30-Mar-16

30-Mar-16
Here is a track pic from the ones on gypsy lake rd on 1 31.

30-Mar-16

30-Mar-16

This is a pic of a wolf taken on 1 30. Location of pic is shown on the oxbow rd map pic. Cant be confirmed as a wolf though. REALLY??

30-Mar-16
Your absolutely right. There is no information being withheld from the public. There is nothing being covered up!!!

30-Mar-16
I always see it this way.

They say 800-1000 wolves in the state but come rifle season people see tracks everywhere. Put 800-1000 deer, coyotes or cats spread over the same range and you do not see a 10th of the tracks.

Either a wolf puts on 100's of miles per day (which I doubt) or there are way more than being let to believe.

30-Mar-16
Steve, Not sure what any of the above has to do with the question I asked you. You implied a cover-up with the steer incident. I asked what information you have to make such a claim? Correct me if Im wrong but it sounds like you make this claim based totally on your belief that the D.N.R. lies about everything and therefore have to be lying about this. Personally I think based on your hatred of wolves, you want so bad to believe this was the work of wolves, that nothing could convince you otherwise.

01-Apr-16
Im sure someone just faked those tracks at the kill sites.

01-Apr-16
Steve I read above where you said you don't put your dogs out in areas that have wolves because you don't want them killed, yet you have numerous stories of wolves attacking or stalking your dogs so it seems like you are sending them out in areas that have wolves, what am I missing? So let me ask you a question; if I know a pond is full of piranhas and I toss my bird dogs in it for a swim and something happens is that the fault of someone else or am I responsible? To go a step further with the same scenario, should I be entitled to 2 or 3 grand per dog because I made the choice to toss them in this pond?

01-Apr-16
Yeah well try and go into an area up north were it is not their home area or travel area.

Easier said than done trying not to cross paths with wolves. Bird hunting I will go without seeing wolf sign for a month then they show up for a week then leave again.

EDIT: Dang Typo's

01-Apr-16
So HunterR, bear/fox/coyote hunters should give up their sport if they do not want their dogs chewed up and eaten? Rather than doing something about the risk, as in eliminating it? How about bringing in and training wolf hounds to turn the tables? I'm kidding, I know the logistics aren't there but it is sure a nice thought to sit on.

01-Apr-16
It would be impossible that they showed up to scavenge right?

01-Apr-16
Hunter, did you read what you said and what I have said?

I will not put dogs out where I know there are wolves present!!

YOU DO NOT ALWAYS NO THERE ARE WOLVES IN AN AREA. Even as adamant That I am in checking for tracks on all surrounding sides. Which takes hours of checking roads and trails. Still are never 100% sure.

Perhaps you are saying nobody in the state of WI should own any dogs if taken outdoors. Or use them in anyway for hunting purposes in the state of WI.

Because you know wolves are pretty much everywhere now! Confirmed sightings in just about every part of this state.

Do you know that the first dog has offically been killed this year. It was not in some remote part of northern WI. Miles from any road or town. This was south of marshfield maybe 15 miles. West of WI Rapids maybe 25 miles.

Then if you think for a second $2500 is compensation for a trained hunting dog. You might need to put the crack pipe down. These dogs have values in the 10's of thousands. $2500 most of the time wont get you 2 shorthair pups. Then the cost of training them. Would get you a few hound pups. Then again comes the cost of training. I got a litter of 4 pups here right now. I got about 2k invested in. Not put one paw in the woods yet for training. They can take that $2500 and stick it!

It's not ironic. It's closer to brain dead stupid. To think the WDNR is wrong deer numbers, and management. Yet, believe what you are told about wolves. Must be like feeling the bern!

01-Apr-16
the last report in the Iron River paper, 19 dogs killed mostly in the western UP, both bear and sporting dogs......

comment from some guys in the lower, was they would not run their bear dogs anymore, up there, just not worth it......

you just never know anymore, my lab for grouse is a close working dog, but you never know.......

wolves will be something to deal with, for a long long time, and I can understand how bear hunters, get anxiety, over the issue,,,,,,

01-Apr-16
Friend of mine in the UP had his shorthair attacked right in front of him. Had he not been there. Dog would have been dead. Right next to town and houses!

02-Apr-16
Quote from Steve above...

"Do you know that the first dog has offically been killed this year. It was not in some remote part of northern WI. Miles from any road or town. This was south of marshfield maybe 15 miles. West of WI Rapids maybe 25 miles."

That puzzled me because I did not catch on to what the 'this year' part meant. At first I thought it meant the first one ever killed occurred this year and I knew Steve knew better than that. Took me a while to realize you meant first dog killed in 2016.

Does anyone have any idea how many dogs have been killed by wolfs in say the last 20 years or so?

02-Apr-16
Steve, You keep blubbering on and on about having to many wolves. NO SHIT SHERLOCK! To many wolves still doesnt mean the steers were "thrill killed by them". You have no proof to make the claim it was some sort of cover-up. Well, I take that back. Your proof is we have to many wolves, therefore it has to be! LOL! Keep up the good work Sherlock!

02-Apr-16
Yep, All hail the WDNR!

02-Apr-16
"It's not ironic. It's closer to brain dead stupid. To think the WDNR is wrong deer numbers, and management. Yet, believe what you are told about wolves. Must be like feeling the bern!"

I don't think anyone believes the DNR on deer numbers, wolf numbers, or for that matter much of anything.

08-Apr-16
Just learned that in Montana one of the better known packs, the Rosebud wolf pack, is in the process of being eliminated by state officials. They have numerous times preyed on livestock. They can wipe out the deer and elk and they're safe but then they went and developed a preference for beef when the venison ran low. State officials are systematically shooting them from the air and ground. They will not stop until the entire pack is wiped out. I applaud the idea but far too late. Instead of properly managing wolves they wait until there is disaster to act.

In all states we need to be proactive, the wolf numbers need to be heavily controlled.

10-Apr-16
Hunt here in the deer capitial of the state Waupaca cty. DNR say there is a deer behind every tree.(They want us to shoot does only). Had the step son out today for the youth turkey hunt. between coyotes and wolf tracks and the fact the turkeys did not even want to get out of roost. (3 inches fresh snow last night) I would say we have a predator problem. even a 100 miles south of the dnr's know pack. WOLFS THE OTHER WHITE MEAT!!!!!!!!!!!

11-Apr-16
We have a socialist imperial Federal government problem. OBOZO and the like are the wolves best friend. The Fed needs to take a hike and leave this matter to the states. As well as dozens of other issues.

11-Apr-16
Bootspit-

It's a known fact that there is a pack just east of Clintonville, many sightings, but no depredation on cows or cattle yet. Where did you see the tracks?

The reason the turkey's didn't get out of the roost is because it was just a tad too cold! LOL

12-Apr-16
3 more dogs were killed on April 2nd in Clark County again. Talking to people that live, and hunt in that area. It's wolf tracks on top of wolf tracks out there.

Guess it's a good thing the DNR imported more food for them. Nice of them to spend our license, and tax money to keep them fed!

15-Apr-16

Jeff in MN's Link
Some idiot legislator in Minnesota has submitted a bill that would prohibit the DNR from establish a wolf hunting season even if taken off the endangered list. (and I presume trapping)

Don't be surprised for this to happen in Wisconsin too as I doubt this legislator came up with this without help.

• Sitka Gear