Toonces 30-Mar-16
grizzlyadam 30-Mar-16
steve 31-Mar-16
Oneeye 31-Mar-16
Toonces 01-Apr-16
drslyr 01-Apr-16
GF 05-Apr-16
29-Mar-16
Like many of you, I often wish, hope and dream of buying property to hunt (yes, even in CT). While the idea seems fantastic at first, on second thought I grow concerned.

Realistically, when you buy property is it truly yours to hunt exclusively? I know legal rights are passed to you, but what about hunters who've had access for years, if not generations?

I wouldn't want to come into a small town and say hello by kicking people off the land. That's not the best way to make friends. You could opt to share hunting rights but this too could be frustrating. Imagine someone else (whom you really don't know) killing the dominant buck on your property knowing you shelled out hundreds of thousands to buy the land and will continue to pay taxes on it for years to come? This scenario doesn't sound great either.

What do you think? Does anyone have experience buying property and determining hunting rights? Alternatively, have you been kicked off property by a new owner or worked out a way for you both to hunt it? Thanks in advance for sharing any thoughts, ideas or experiences.

29-Mar-16

29-Mar-16
I think if you bought the land with your own hard earned dollars and you have a problem keeping people off who haven't paid you a penny, then I think you should go back to sleep and have another dream!

29-Mar-16
Fair enough!

29-Mar-16
I had a good friend who bought a nice sized property in NY state. There were several locals that hunted the land previously and he had to kick them all off. Told them if they wanted to pay his taxes, they could hunt it when he allowed it. He gave anyone who asked permission to hunt a signed piece of paper allowing it....but the first week of rifle was "his week". They had access to other times. Eventually no one hunted or tresspassed in a few years....so it was his land to hunt as he saw fit.

If I had the resources to buy my own property, I never would allow anyone to hunt there except for a few friends and family at my discretion.

29-Mar-16
I bought a 100 acres in NY ten Years ago, I removed all the stands from neighbors and placed them on the ground.

The both of them had similar acreage but seemed it was better on my piece. I got trail cam pics of them after I asked to stay off, they thought since I was out of State it was alright to hunt. I asked nicely and granted them permission to track wounded Deer on mine as long as it was OK for me to do the same.

No matter how many times I asked they always trespassed thinking it was their right to push my "off limits" bedding cover. I just sold it to the non hunting neighbor for top dollar, let him worry now.

29-Mar-16
I agree with the "it's mine, I'll decide IF I let you hunt there" perspective.

The line: "I have been hunting here for many years" is a pretty universal one, used by those who really have, and those who are just plain trespassers. When I bought my own land I politely told others that there were new owners now, and that they were no longer allowed there without written permission. The next time I saw them, I told them that this was going to be their last warning, the next time they'd be arrested.

Most stayed off after that, a few did not. I have been told by several cops and wardens that warnings will do nothing, threats either, only actual arrests. After several years, my CT land is pretty much trespasser free, my NY land still has the occasional jerk. One guy on a Quad acted like he was going to get off his machine and fight me, I pointed out that I had a large dog and a loaded shotgun, and I didn't like his chances. I think I also pointed out that he must be a special kind of stupid. He left, cursing me out the entire time.

I now have signs up that point out: "By the time you see these signs your picture has been taken by several, in a series, of hidden Trail Cameras, including some that transmit a wireless image to a secure website. If you leave the way you came in, and do not return, you will not be charged. Your vehicle registration is also recorded. This is your only warning".

It seems to have helped.

Another point: It's very serious potential safety issue. What if you're hunting and someone is just over the next ridge or behind a tree, and you don't know that they are there? I always point out that there are of thousands acres of public land in the area, they don't need to be on my little piece.

29-Mar-16

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
I recently bought a house with just enough acres in back to legally hunt if I walk to the end of it. I closed on the house this past December and when I took a walk back there I saw a stand and blind right where I can legally hunt distance wise. Needless to say I'm going to have to talk with the guy who I believe lives a few houses down and from what I've heard thinks he owns all the woods. The town I live in is a permission only town so I'm not sure if he got permission from the previous owners. Going to interesting this fall. My town borders Somers CT. Here's a pic from a couple days ago.

29-Mar-16
COOL,you have Smurf deer !!!...lol

29-Mar-16
Damn keep forgetting to turn the phone.

29-Mar-16
Thanks SWK, how did you do that? Hey notme I figure you would like my deer feeder. See the piece of plywood on the ground to keep the feed up and dry lol. Cheap and works for me as you can see. Daily pics and pile gone every time.

30-Mar-16
Very snazzy bud ..lol but why aren't the two in the bushes at the troth of prosperity ?

Wasn't there something in the early 90's in Milford where the owner of one of the car dealerships there had some acreage in back of his lot and wanted to open it to bow hunting ,I think he was a bow hunter himself,the neighbors in back complained and took him to court saying they used the woods for walking trails for years so that made it their woods..I think pretty much the same thing happened on the DuPont property in Fairfield except they let anybody walk and bowhunt saying they had enough land and wanted people to enjoy nature.until a walker fell and tried to sue then it was shut down to all but the walkers still claimed it was their land cause they walked it for years.

30-Mar-16
If you own it it's yours to do as you please.

You do need to be mindful about being too obsessed with trespassers, poachers etc.

If you start to be more worried about that than you are about enjoying the property, the property can become more stress than its worth. I found myself being stressed over trespassers and poachers on both parcels my family has owned and I have personally leased. My experience has been at some point you have to take a deep a breath and let some of it go, otherwise the property ceases to be a source of enjoyment and peace and instead becomes a source of stress and worry.

30-Mar-16
Realistically, when you buy property is it truly yours to hunt exclusively? I know legal rights are passed to you, but what about hunters who've had access for years, if not generations?

Legal rights are passed to you, period, its your property, get everyone off of it, hunt it, and live the dream.

How you clear it out of trespassers has everything to do with the kind of person you are. You are either a call the cops kind of person, or a take care of business kind of person. Both have their downfalls. Hope it is not as big of a deal as you think it is. Get it done sooner than later and move on.

31-Mar-16
I have lost lots of property when people move if the new people don't let you hunt you just move on .Steve

31-Mar-16
Check connecticut law for "adverse possession". People can claim and actually gain ownership to a Piece of property by essentially squatting on it or showing clear use of it. Its a very valid law that has Allowed people ownership of land in conn."adverse possession can create an absolute title to real estate, which is as good as title by deed from the record owner." https://www.cga.ct.gov/2006/rpt/2006-R-0032.htm I had to deal with the issue myself to ith a tresspasser.

01-Apr-16
Adverse Possession wouldn't fly if all you were doing on it was hunting.

My parents gained ownership of a two acre parcel through adverse possession. They posted it, filed an affidavit in the land records and started paying taxes on it.

Before that the town didn't know who owned it.

01-Apr-16
I spoke with a guy from Chicopee ma who bought 100 acres in vt. He posted the land legally. He bought a sawmill cut lumber and built a cabin on his land. When hunting season came around he caught trespassers every day on his land. Word got out he would be prosecuting trespassers. Upon returning from his FLATLANDER job he found his cabin and sawmill burnt to the ground.

05-Apr-16
If I could figure out how to buy enough land to hunt it... I'd be hunting it. And given my budget, I don't think there would be much room left for anybody else...

Seems like this is where the culture shock hits.

I grew up where land doesn't need to be posted. If you don't own it, you either get permission or stay on the other side of the line. Almost said "fence", but you don't have to fence it, either. So the idea that anyone would think that having hunted a property before would somehow guarantee those rights into the future just doesn't compute for me.

I guess I'd try to find out during the purchase process whether the owner had been letting anyone hunt there; just so I'd know kind of what to expect. But of course with the rules here being what they are, at least any honest hunter would have to contact you in advance anyway. I would NOT care to be found unwelcome on private land here with a weapon in my hand.

So for anybody who asked, I'd explain politely that the place would not be open to non-family for the foreseeable future. Anybody who poached... I would do my best to find out who they were, and I would do my best to politely let them know that they would not get a second warning.

• Sitka Gear