Fletch 31-Mar-16
BOBHUNT71 31-Mar-16
notme 31-Mar-16
BOBHUNT71 31-Mar-16
Ace 31-Mar-16
Wild Bill 03-Apr-16
Ace 04-Apr-16
30-Mar-16
Hi Guys, I know this is a bow site but many of us also share in other shooting sports. I'm in the process of applying for my FFL license and also inquiring about being a certified NRA firearms instructor. Any advice or help appreciated. Please PM me if you have contact info. Thanks much, MikeP

30-Mar-16
NRA Instructor here, Handgun, Shotgun and Rifle. What would you like to know?

30-Mar-16
Just looking for some advice in starting the process to becoming an instructor.I can PM you contact info if you'd have a couple of minutes to chat. The FFL thing is all ATF stuff. I'll deal with that long process. Thanks, Ace.

30-Mar-16
From what I read you must now have a business and a secure location for firearms not including your house. It sucks, I wanted to get an FFL for a small online business out of my house.

30-Mar-16
If I remember correctly you must follow both state and federal guidelines for obtaining an FFL. I may have been good with the federal part but I come from a state that I can't even order brass or reloading bullets online.

30-Mar-16
Well that sucks to hear Spike. I've only submitted the federal form. According to one guy a talked to he said the state form was no big deal but he's had his FFL for 20 years. I hate this state!

30-Mar-16
Amazes me that a law abiding citizen that's held a handgun permit for 30 years and hasn't even had a parking ticket in 20 years has to go through this. Mississippi just past an open carry law and refused to follow federal guidelines regarding firearm ownership. Again, this state sucks. Clueless politicians. Really burns my ass. Sorry guys.

30-Mar-16
Here's an interesting "Read" http://blog.tenthamendmentcenter.com/2016/03/mississippi-senate-passes-bill-for-constitutional-carry-and-setting-foundation-to-reject-some-federal-gun-control/

30-Mar-16
http://training.nra.org/instructors/become-an-instructor.aspx

31-Mar-16
Mike, I believe all FFL holders are grand fathered in so it's probably no big deal for those people to just send a check to renew. I'm curious what steps their are in CT. I'm assuming it's not much different than my liberal anti gun state.

31-Mar-16
This state does suck. I called a gun shop the other day to inquire about trading in and upgrading one of my shot guns and the guy told me I couldn't do it unless I have a specific permit (pistol permit, rifle permit?) Hell I can't even buy a box of turkey loads for turkey season in this state with out some crazy permit!! I hate this state. Politics at its best. Another example of a knee jerk reaction by politicians which ends up penalizing good honest people and has no effect on the criminal element.

31-Mar-16
Long beard, luckily here we have already been forced to buy new permits years ago which reminds me mine is due so their goes another 100 bucks to renew!

31-Mar-16
I took the pistol permit course about 15 years ago, being young and dumb, I got caught up in other things and never actually went to apply for the permit. Does anyone know if I can still apply for the permit or will I have to re-take the certification course?

31-Mar-16
If you have proof that you took am NRA course, yes it is still good. The training does not expire. By the way, if you lost the certificate, contact the NRA, they can get you another one.

Go to your local PD, get an application, fill it out, pay the fee, get the fingerprints and then wait (they have up to 8 weeks). Once you get the Local Permit (which is a temporary permit), you go to the state and get the State permit.

31-Mar-16
Fletch I did the same thing back in the early 90's. Problem is that was two houses and at least one apartment ago...don't think I could come up with the certificate at this point. We were thinking of taking the whole course as a family. Ace I may be seeing you in the near future. SWK that is definitely my plan!

31-Mar-16
I haven't bought a gun in 40 years so this month I bought 2 new hand guns and every time I am out I buy another box of ammo, Obama made me do it and are governor .

31-Mar-16
Ace IS the place! Thanks so much for the information, I'm contacting the NRA ASAP because, like longbeard, I've moved a few times since taking the course and hell if I know where the cert. is.

31-Mar-16
@ Ace I have a co-worker who has been waiting 18 weeks so far from Waterbury and when he asked they said it's still being processed for the pistol permit .

31-Mar-16
Yup,ace is correct.nra cert is good for life I believe..ive been reading on the ccdl site how a lot of pd's have been jerking people off past the state mandated time period..contact Johnathan Hardy at ccdl to start the appeals process..

i applied for my permit the January after sandy hook..when I was fingerprinted the lieutenant told me it was up to 16 wks..i told him doesn't matter after 8 wks you have to give it me..he just snickered..on the last day I got a call from the secretary of Monroe cheif of police,she said my application was on his desk for weeks ..he didn't sign off because under occupation I put construction,he wanted me to be more specific..the next day I got my paperwork in the mail.

31-Mar-16
Thanks for the info notme I'll let him know .

31-Mar-16
After 8 weeks you can start the appeal process. I'm happy to say that most of the PDs have been pretty good about the timing thing. There are still a bunch however that are trying to require things that the state does not, such as References. You can always try to put some pressure on them, but the reality is that CT is a "May Issue state" so they CAN deny you, then you have the right to an appeal, which takes a long time to get heard.

03-Apr-16
The process for me happened about 30 years ago. I had more trouble getting an interview with the local police chief. His secretary was a ditz. Once I met with him the town permit process went well. I renew every five years and never had a problem. Be sure to report any change of address tho. I think you have 48 hours and out a sticker with your new address on the back of your permit. I did that recently.

03-Apr-16
There are no more town permits. However, your application for the state permit has to go through your local town police station.

The CCDL(Connecticut Citizens Defence League) are quite the authorities on this issue of obtaining permits. Visit this page and there should be information there to help you with any problems you may be having.

http://www.ccdl.us/resources/permit-issues

04-Apr-16
I want to make everyone aware of a major change in the NRA Basic Pistol course. They have now switched over to a "Blended learning" style of course, what that means is that you are required to take Phase 1 online. The NRA charges $60 for this. Once you complete this phase, which includes a testing requirement (minimum passing grade is 90%), You then proceed to Phase 2, which is with an Instructor, and includes more hands on time, and shooting, and a shooting qualification.

Right now both the old style course (8 hours minimum, Instructor led) and the new course (blended) are being offered. After May 15, you will ONLY BE ABLE TO TAKE THE BLENDED COURSE.

04-Apr-16
Thanks for that info Ace. I know you PM'd me> I'll call you soon,. I'm not worried about passing these. I'm pretty proficient with all weapons (bows, shotguns, rifles and pistols) but I'm actually glad there is a screening process. Instructors need to be the best teachers. I'd love to see more people enter into the shooting sports.

• Sitka Gear