Bloodtrail 28-Apr-16
RutnStrut 28-Apr-16
Bloodtrail 28-Apr-16
skookumjt 28-Apr-16
smokey 29-Apr-16
RutnStrut 29-Apr-16
Bloodtrail 30-Apr-16
01-Apr-16
If not, why? I hear some people say it's too much trouble. I report every one I find, not only are they breaking the law. They are claiming areas and an eyesore also.

01-Apr-16
I did this year..... I have several all mapped out, no exactly where they are, and have been for quite a few years..... last year got harassed by all of their owners, when I discovered "there areas",,,

they were such "jacks",,,,, what the Fed LEO does about them, will be one thing, but yep the report went in

I will know by April 18th,,,,,,, I know he went into some spots last year, left a laminated note, who took the stand, and why, and where it can be retrieved if asked for, in a reasonable amount of time.....

These are all ladder stands,,,,, I found out from one guy, he reported some stands, that were actually built, permanent on state land, can not believe the gall of some people.......

I respect another guys spot. You put it up, when legal to do so, before I get there, you bet I give that guy a very wide berth, and do not screw him up..... However at the end of the season, like required, take them down...... I am talking about Federal land

01-Apr-16
I do not report them. Why? Don't care. They don't bother me. I understand why people do it. Duck hunters are allowed to do it legally. I cannot understand why deer hunters can't? Duck blinds are left up year round with no name on them. Pallets and wood with nails and screws in them, waiting to hurt your dog and give you tetanus. Those to me are an eye sore. I'm just one of those guys who doesn't like to tattle when someone is breaking a law that doesn't necessarily harm anyone. Now abuse or threatening someone's health or life, I make the call. I'm under the philosophy that no good deed goes unpunished.

01-Apr-16
I don't. I don't even know what's legal.

01-Apr-16
Razor I'm w/ you, and i sure hope the permanent stand thing doesn't go through on county land. Inviting way too much trouble

01-Apr-16
Pete, out of curiosity. Do you hunt any public land?

01-Apr-16
No I don't, do you call and report speeders?

01-Apr-16
"No I don't, do you call and report speeders?"

Not normally, but I have turned in people driving erratically/dangerously. But of course you aren't comparing apples to apples.

01-Apr-16
Yes. I consider it littering because 99% of the ground blinds I find are made of pallets, carpet and buckets that never get removed or used again. And most of them are hauled out there illegally with an ATV. And other users of public land see that garbage out there.

I don't understand why someone would haul all that crap into the woods for a couple of days when you can buy a popup at Menards for $30.

Zinger, Nice try, There are plenty of cops around to take care of that issue, but only one warden per county or less up north.

01-Apr-16
If guys are dumb enough to leave stands on public land where they know there is a descent chance some yahoo will take them, then I don't feel sorry for them. If it is state owned land then the state owns any possession that is left on it.

01-Apr-16
Last spring when I started bear baiting I found a ground blind had been built by one of my baits. The guy went through the trouble of hauling pallets, a chair, carpet and a tarp in for a roof. I suspect for the previous deer season. I reported it to the game warden and helped haul it all out with my game cart.

I don't know if he went back there this year or not. I will be going in to fire up that bait in a few weeks and will find out then.

01-Apr-16
Well we allow duck blinds...AND ice shanties on public lands/water..why not tree stands?

Some counties now do allow overnight stand placement with the agreement they do not harm the tree (screw in steps) -

Personally I could never understand the reason why no deer stands, but if you duck hunt...that's OK and if you ice fish...well that's OK too...just don't leave a blind out for deer!?!

Yep, makes sense too me!

02-Apr-16
Nope, unless they are making a complete mess of the area. Why? don't care, why? because I would rather know someone is hunting a spot rather than finding out while hunting. I hunt for fun and relaxation. Not confrontation.

02-Apr-16
"Well we allow duck blinds...AND ice shanties on public lands/water..why not tree stands?"

A permanent duck blind or ice shack is pretty tough to move each day. Setting up a treestand at the beginning of a hunt, and taking it down at the end is pretty darn easy. Even for a guy like me with severely messed up back and neck. There are treestands/climbing sticks and other gear devoted to the mobile hunter. The majority that leave stands up, fit into one of two groups imo. Theres the I'm stakin this area out with my 12 stands per 40 guys. Then there's the I'm too freakin lazy to walk in carrying my gear, set up, hunt/tear down and walk out crowd. Everything doesn't always have to be made easier. It's ok if we have to work a little harder for some things.

02-Apr-16
Sometimes, but the property manager never removed them.

02-Apr-16
I've not reported the few I've seen. But they do piss me off. I hunt public land 100% of the time. I hope they never allow stands to be left on public land. Keeps the lazy hunter close to the parking area while those willing to work harder have more undisturbed areas to hunt.

02-Apr-16
Rut, No I do not hunt public any longer, but I have in the past. I find them when I'm out. Rarely have I seen one with a dude in them, so I don't necessarily feel they are claiming a spot. It's actually a good chance it's a decent spot to begin with, so it can be used as an indicator that the spot is worthy. When I'm up at the cottage, we would hunt paper land on occasions, and we were allowed to leave them up overnight. People were very respectful to each other in those cases.

02-Apr-16
I do what Razor said. We now have a new Forest Service LEO in this district so will see what happens. FS has a lot of Law Enforcement people titled FPO that have the same law authority but rarely see them taking action.

I found a ladder stand recently while shed hunting on National Forest. Two guys from down state gun hunted in the area and had removed one of two stands. Why they left this is anyone's geuss. I am thinking maybe they were planning on coming back or could not get it unlocked. The road is unplowed in winter and a long walk. They know that I know it is there. I will keep an eye one it for a while before reporting it.

Regarding ice shacks: I don't know of any that are left year round ;-)

02-Apr-16
Last spring I found a ground blind on paper company land. The blind had (2) swivel office chairs with the padding chewed up by critters, (4) empty one pound propane cylinders, and several hand warmer wrappers laying inside, as well as other debri. I left a note on there vehicle this past deer season and took a picture of there license plate. I am going in there to check it out this weekend. I hope they cleaned it up

If I find a normal hunting set-up I will just move on to a different area. I don't want to come out to my vehicle some evening and have a confrontation of sorts.

02-Apr-16
Snitches get stitches..............??

02-Apr-16
I dont even see the point in wasting your time. Have never seen anything done about it. Maybe it's different in your area. I know where dozens are, and some have been there for close to a decade now. Very low priority in these parts!

02-Apr-16
Found 3 scouting for turkey a couple weeks ago. Honestly think nothing would be done. Usually find one each time I scout on public land. Mostly pieces of cr@p intentionally left to end up as trash some day. Last scout, I saw a likely new this fall double ladder stand. That one I thought the DNR may want to remove and sell.

I wish there was a way to legally claim them. I would hate to haul some junky stand out of the woods in February only for a LEO to write me a ticket.

02-Apr-16

Per48R's embedded Photo
Per48R's embedded Photo

02-Apr-16

Per48R's embedded Photo
Per48R's embedded Photo

02-Apr-16

Per48R's embedded Photo
Per48R's embedded Photo

02-Apr-16

Per48R's embedded Photo
Per48R's embedded Photo

02-Apr-16

Per48R's embedded Photo
Per48R's embedded Photo

02-Apr-16

Per48R's embedded Photo
Per48R's embedded Photo

02-Apr-16

Per48R's embedded Photo
Per48R's embedded Photo

02-Apr-16
Do you really expect the DNR to do anything about the stands if you do report them? How many people want the DNR wondering around the area they hunt? If you do report these stand during the hunting season you can only blame yourself for not seeing much....if the DNR even looks into it. Seems like another regulation that shouldn't exist.

02-Apr-16
For what it's worth, when I was employed with USFS I removed treestands that had been left outside of season. We leave a note with information on the tree so the hunter would know what happened to the stand. Never had anyone come to the office and claim their stands though.

If it was a permanent stand it got torn down. If we found a hunter in the stand during season they were told they had to take it down immediately.

And yes, citations were issued.

Why should the regulation not exist? Just imagine how much more junk would be left out there if it was not regulated.

02-Apr-16

Reggiezpop's embedded Photo
Reggiezpop's embedded Photo
My boy and I found this from years past scouting last week.

02-Apr-16
I guess the issue I have is the fact that as a taxpayer that land is just as much mine as yours. What is the difference if I leave a removable stand in the tree? Over regulation is a problem for this state and country. There are much more important issues to deal with then someone leaving a tree stand in a tree.

02-Apr-16
Rut says:

"A permanent duck blind or ice shack is pretty tough to move each day. Setting up a treestand at the beginning of a hunt, and taking it down at the end is pretty darn easy. "

It's not about how easy anything is too move....its all about the fact that they can do it!!!

Really - but now that you've brought it up....

Perhaps you'd like to come and put up my tree stand in the dark for me? And then at the end of the hunt...take it down in the dark?

Are you kidding? Ya, I'd love to break my neck trying to install or disassemble a tree stand in the dark - that's what makes this law so incredibly stupid.

My tree stands are a chore in the bright daylight not to mention the dark!

Tri-County. What? Snitches get stiches? What does that mean - you believe we should bury our heads in the sand because somebody might beat us up?

Back in the day I made a living of buying drugs from people that never met me before. Sure, they didn't have much of a sense of humor about the whole thing, ya know....prison, County jail, some even lost their vehicles and such...but nobody touched me...and those folks had a reason to be pissed. At the end of the day, they understood the price of doing (illegal) business.

I hardly think someone would beat the crap outta ya for reporting their illegal tree stand....what's right is right!

As far as conservation laws go - it's not someone else's problem - we all need to be vigilant and do the right thing.

I still believe the tree stand law needs to be revamped....

02-Apr-16
BT I am discussing federal land.... they are very generous letting anyone, leave a stand up for the season.... federal land is vast, and bigger than state tracts.....

I have no problem with a guy leaving up a stand on state land, just abide by the rules set,,,,,, do not claim the area, remove after season,,,,, not too hard

if your tree stand are a chore, than they are not very applicable for public land.......

again, I have no problem, if leaving your stand in, on state land, if your going to be back, but do not complain, if you miss a couple of days, and someone is in within 100 yards of you, this is the problem with most state land......

my opinion only, does not make me right, just what I have seen

one reason I have been so successful on public land in western Wisconsin, thru the years, is number one, the average guy, who can not leave a stand in, is not going thru the hassle,,,,, number two, without a tree stand, most bowhunters, will not hunt,,,,,,,

public land can be a hassle, but we are blessed with some great spots,,,,,,,,,,

one thing I did, and it resulted in a couple of 140 bucks, is to use only 2 lone wolf sticks, get up about 8 to 10 feet and hunt ..... throw on the stand, and in about 10minutes I am set up, including my hang on.....

right wind, that's all you need.... takes me 15 minutes to break down and leave,,,,,,

on public land, its public, belongs to everyone, so I have know more of a right to an area, than the next guy, first in, rule is what should apply.....

public land you have to adapt...... leaving stands in, should be for private....my opinion onlh

stay well

02-Apr-16
BT, if you were near me I would for sure help you set up and take down your stand if you needed it. Once again this is something that helps alleviate some of the pressure on public land. Some hunters will not hunt it if they have to carry a stand in and out. Sorry but everything shouldn't be made easier for everyone. It's not tough with the proper gear. I can hang my Lone Wolf stand and sticks in less than 8 minutes and be hunting. If I'm using my climber it's about the same. Plus I am harnessed to the tree from the time I leave the ground until I am back on it. No excuse not to be safe. I wonder if there is a way to find out how many treestand accidents were on public land during set up/take down? I bet it's very few.

02-Apr-16
I have better things to do than worry about others deer stands on public land.

02-Apr-16
Playing devil's advocate here. How many of those that say it doesn't bother them A. Are guilty of doing it themselves. B. Hunt primarily private land?

02-Apr-16
I'm not bothered by it. I prefer to avoid the crowd. If I see a stand up, it tells me the area is pressured and I'll just leave. The public I hunt is so large, so I have that blessing to do so. Now if I saw a ladder stand put up, I may consider.

Now for the guys hunting small public, that's unfair. I'd call, or take it down and leave a note.

02-Apr-16
Nocturnal8, that's a good point. The majority of the public parcels I hunt are under 300 acres. Some are only 40 or less.

02-Apr-16
What people are missing (like my friend Rut) is it is NOT about making things easier for the public. It has everything to do with making things SAFER for people.

IF people follow the rules as set forth by regulations that require removal - then we are needlessly - yes, needlessly placing people (fellow hunters) in a precarious situation that doesn't need to be!

It's not about easy this and easy that! It is however a safety issue.

People leave stands in the woods for a number of reasons. I believe most leave them because they don't want to risk injury or death trying to manipulate themselves in the dark. Especially if they plan to hunt the next morning - they leave it and return at 0500 and no one is the wiser - BUT they are now a violator! Tell me that makes any sense.....

Allow tree stands - many Counties do now on County land, and move on to something that is really important!

It's a common sense deal here gentlemen -

03-Apr-16
BT, show me numbers that prove hunters on public land are being injured while putting up or taking down their stands in low light conditions. I really wish you were near me. I would let you use some of my gear that is made for the mobile hunter. With the right gear and some common sense, there really is very little risk. I do however believe that if people were allowed to leave stands up and claim areas. That would lead to confrontations with injuries.

03-Apr-16
Common sense tells me their would be even more stands stolen and multiple fights if stands were allowed on public land. You would have the guy who puts 10 stands on 20 acres and everyone else would be upset. Now you have guys sitting in others stands and we know what can be the result of that. Doing what you want to is the benefit of private land. not public.

03-Apr-16
This is what I'm dealing with on state and county land.

All of them have an ATV trail cut to them from private property.

At least they are not treating it like they own the land, eh?.........;)

And yes they get turned in and torn down.

03-Apr-16
CraigL - Good for you my friend! Go get em! That's what I'm talking about....

It doesn't matter if it's tree stands or public hiking -

People will take advantage and they will litter, leave up stands and do all sorts of stuff against the rules!

But REMEMBER - this is NOT everyone!

In fact, the vast majority of people are good people - it is only a chosen few that make it bad for the rest of us!

It's easy to get lost in the "They all do that and they all do this"...NOT true!

I've spent the better part of my adult life dealing with all walks of people, all in a host of terrible, difficult and appalling situations.

If you looks at the dregs of society I deal with, it's easy to become jaded and believe there ("they" are) all pieces of crap-

Couldn't be further from the truth!

Most of us hunters are really good folks - remember that! Most are and a few are....well you know!

Rut -

I call "foul" on the belief of the disputes and claiming of the land by the public.

But, I will offer this - do ya think there are duck hunters having disputes about blinds? Im sure there are a few here and there, but no one has been injured..have they?

How about the guys that park their huge ice shanty right over a fish crib FOR THE SEASON?

Why is this OK and we cannot have a stand in the woods?

Really?

03-Apr-16
"Common sense tells me their would be even more stands stolen and multiple fights if stands were allowed on public land. You would have the guy who puts 10 stands on 20 acres and everyone else would be upset. Now you have guys sitting in others stands and we know what can be the result of that. Doing what you want to is the benefit of private land. not public. "

I agree with this ^^^^. I think people would put up many stands and expect people to respect all their areas. I think that would lead to more confrontations. For people who are concerned with the safety aspect and hanging stands, invest in a climber. They are easy to use dark or light.

03-Apr-16
It should be interesting as some of the County forest lands in the State now do allow 24/7 tree stands - It will be interesting what troubles (if any) they encounter?

Time will tell!

There are some portions of the State that have smaller tracts of land that would foster more discontent between hunters I do believe however-

Like some things in life - all is not equal and I would agree with Rut that perhaps these smaller tracts could foster hard feelings and ...a bloody nose!

03-Apr-16
Invest in a Climber?

Well that "sounds" good if a climber was more "tree" friendly!

The amount of any given tree(s) to launch a climber on is severely limited.

How many straight - no branched trees do you find in the woods? I don't find many at all.....

Remember - you are not allowed by law to cut any branches on a tree - nor are you allowed to cut shooting lanes by law/regulation.

So besides putting up and taking down a tree stand in the pitch dark - now...I have too look for a straight tree with no branches to hinder my ascent into the tree.

Of course, hoping all along it's somewhat close to a deer trail and I wont spook ever deer in the County putting up and taking down my tree stand morning and night!!

To some this might sound petty - and I play the "devils advocate" on some of this - but really - laws need to change. Some Counties have smartened up, now the State needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

After all we've smartened up on no back tags and carcass registration laws - I say keep the ball rolling!

03-Apr-16
I like what Minnesota requires for bear hunting.

In Minnesota it is a requirement that you GPS your bear bait location and that you place a placard at the site of your tree stand/bait that displays your name/number/address - been a few years since I hunted there - it may have changed to just a DNR number - but you catch my drift.

The GPS coordinates must be delivered to the DNR before the hunt to certify it as a legal bait! I love it!

Garbage/stands and any trash left at the site become the responsibility of the hunter there and it serves to keep honest people honest!

03-Apr-16
"So besides putting up and taking down a tree stand in the pitch dark - now...I have too look for a straight tree with no branches to hinder my ascent into the tree. "

I'm assuming you'd have done your scouting prior to the season starting. Those straight trees exist and in good numbers. Hence so many climbers are sold and used each year.

03-Apr-16
Ill have to start looking for them...and the deer trails they intersect!

Meantime - lets just change the law and move on!

03-Apr-16
Bloodtrail: what law is it you want to change? Did I miss something here?

03-Apr-16
That would be the law that makes it a conservation law violation to leave your stand on State land overnight.

03-Apr-16
BT, Get a good light hang on like a Lone Wolf or XOP and climbing sticks. Then you can hunt out of any tree, even crooked ones as they adjust. I have two Summit climbers and an XOP hang on and Muddy outdoors climbing sticks. The climbers stay in the truck most of the time now as they aren't as versatile as the hang on/sticks.

03-Apr-16
+1 rut.

That's all I use, xop and lone wolf. Except I use the lone wolf sticks. Light, quiet, and easy to set up. No issues setting up in the dark.

04-Apr-16
Well you boys are better men than I!!

Setting up climbing sticks and then putting up a hang on stand in the dark - I'm only asking for trouble.

Not to mention the noise you make and a clear cool morning - I don't care how careful you'll be...your going to make noise.

And my wife? How well do you think she'd do putting up her own stand in the dark? How about my 12 year old nephew? And we want to recruit new hunters?

Wouldn't it make a whole lot more sense to tip toe into your stand...shinny up your ladder sticks that are already there and plop down into your stand (that's already there) as quiet as a mouse?

Call me lazy if you like gentlemen but putting stands up/down in the dark to me is...no offense guys....but nutz!

Ill hunt County land for now until the law changes...This season, as I take a seat in my all ready in place stand, I'll be thinking of ya all on State land. My fellow friends, all sweated up, struggling to get that last strap tightened....in the dark! And all because some folks are afraid of a confrontation?

There's allot of woods out there!

Good exchange of thoughts and ideas fella's! Good thread. Makes one think....

04-Apr-16
Like I said before bloodtrail. If I walked past your stand on county. I'd let you have it. Hunt as you wish, I'm not here to judge. Your not lazy either, I see, and understand both sides.

04-Apr-16
I would only have to ask Bloodyrail one thing. What are you going to do or say when you get out to your stand and someone else is in it? Confrontations happen every year over duck blinds. Been there done that, and have seen guys ice shacks moved off of spots too. There's just too many me me knuckleheads out there nowadays.

04-Apr-16
Pop up blinds are very safe and can be easily setup in the dark and quietly at that.

I still feel that allowing people to keep up stands is going to cause more confrontations and theft.

04-Apr-16
BT, You keep saying you don't want the law changed to make things easier. Yet your main argument is that it's too difficult to do it as it is now.

04-Apr-16
Few here hunt public land more than I do. Much of it on Federal Land. The concept of the "decoy" stand is alive and well - trust me on that.

For a guy like me, who keeps on walking when he sees evidence of other hunters, it can get a little frustrating. I can walk you to 1/2 dozen crappy stands left in the woods for no other purpose than to warn off CONSCIENTIOUS hunters. The guys in the area walk right past them to their second stand on the swamp edge......where the corn is.

Will this crap happen more or less if the laws were changed?

I know we can't make rules based on the actions of a few, but those few sure do make it hard to even relax one sometimes.

I still say that hunting often brings out the worst in perfectly normal people. It's a shame, really.

04-Apr-16
Dukore -

What would I do?

Seriously - never ever had that happen.

I did have a friend that had that happen. He spotted the guy way before the guy in the stand spotted him. He backed out quietly.

Don't know, to tell you the truth. Guess I would deal with it when and if it ever happened. I suspect I'd let em hunt.

Where legal - a tree stand legally placed does belong to the owner who placed the stand, providing regulations were followed.

I have too ask...How many of you would climb up and hunt in a stand that was not yours?

I never have.

Do you think someone might place a decoy stand in hopes somebody might climb it and thus loosen a step or the stand hoping the visitor would fall out.

I have thought of that many times before.

RUT -

It's not only difficult - it's DANGEROUS.

Every year we lose how many hunters to tree stand accidents? How many die and how many people survive only to suffer life long injuries?

We want to encourage this? I don't!

I don't want my wife or nephew trying this. My wife and I both teach hunters safety classes and would never encourage this practice.

Call it "easier" call me "lazy", call me "late to dinner" - it is just NOT safe and is dangerously foolish to expect anyone to fumble around in the dark putting up a "Climber" "Ladder" or "fixed" stand.

Fifteen feet in the tree in total darkness...ahhh..don't think so.

Like I said, I'm glad that some County Forest managers have finally seen the light and now allow it.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but I believe Clark County has allowed this practice for years!

And Happy says.."I still feel that allowing people to keep up stands is going to cause more confrontations and theft."

My answer to that is this. How do you or I know that? Neither you or I know this...yet! It's like saying "I feel Donald Trump will be a great President?"

Granted more people in the woods, more stands in the woods, one would think by the odds alone you may have more such activity.

I for one would take my chances in a confrontation or a stolen stand vs. having my wife, relative or myself injured.

Like so many things in life...We don't know that until it actually happens....now do we?

Based upon my experience however, I do know putting up a stand in the pitch dark is little to no different than our friend Timothy Treadwell wandering around in the "Grizzly Maze!" Your asking for trouble....

04-Apr-16
Currently - The County of Clark does allow permanent tree stand placement on County Lands....from/after September 1 until close of season in January.

04-Apr-16
Can't a guy put up a stand at first light and take down at last light? Why Complete darkness? With climbers and blinds no need for that anyway. Find some private land and you can claim your areas.

05-Apr-16
Its not about "claiming" an area - it's about legal hunting without the fear of breaking one's neck!

Also - I much rather be set - ready to hunt at "first" light instead of wrestling with a stand - don't know about you or anyone else!

Remember those duck hunters/ice fishermen can - why cant we?

05-Apr-16
Bloodtrail, with your reasoning we should make it illegal to be in the woods in the dark. To dangerous walking around out there in the woods when you cant see. It should also be illegal to hunt when its cold because if you get hurt you could freeze to death before someone finds you. Boats should be illegal. Every year people fall out and drown. Even in the daylight. Do I need to tell you how dangerous driving a car is?

Nobody says you have to hunt out of a treestand. Stay on the ground if someones not capable.

05-Apr-16
"Can't a guy put up a stand at first light and take down at last light? Why Complete darkness? With climbers and blinds no need for that anyway. Find some private land and you can claim your areas. "

yep ^^^^^ Total darkness is not a requirement. Climbers are a great option as are popups. Problem solved with less confrontations and hoarding in the woods.

+1 retro. People fall out of tree stands when it is light out too. Maybe they should be illegal in daylight as well...

05-Apr-16
Never found one I hunt county land and the county I hunt its legal to leave stand up the whole season...So the ones I found were there legal it would be illegal for me to mess with it and nothing would be done if I report it.

05-Apr-16
I now always call in illegal deer stands. As I am usually hunting with my children and are trying to prove a point about being fair and honest. My kids have asked me several times, why we don't put up our own ladder stand when they see others hanging onto a tree. It discourages them when they see someone else cheating when hunting. If I have to sit on the ground, they should too. Great way to lose new hunters when they are trying to abide by the law and see a bunch of others not doing so as well. When I do hunt by myself I usually bring my climber. We talk about fair chase hunting, and this falls right into that discussion. I called in 3 last year in SW Wisconsin public land. Also called in 2 bow hunters hunting in camo during the youth hunt. Know the laws and abide by them (silly or not).

05-Apr-16
"Nobody says you have to hunt out of a treestand. Stay on the ground if someones not capable."

This right here says it all.

05-Apr-16
Retro - Thanks for driving home my point - people do fall out of tree stands in the light! Why would we want them doing it in the dark which obviously increases the odds of an accident...Hello?

I say - put it (stand) up in the light of day - hunt till your done with hunting that area and take it down - and don't damage a tree.

How hard is that concept to understand?

Retro - your feeble attempt(s) at humor while referencing walking in the woods when it's dark and making it illegal to hunt when it's cold along with driving a car, serves only to highlight your inability to debate without sarcasm. Retro - you may not want to quit your day job!

Apparently, some folks fear the (a) face to face confrontation that some claim will run amuck in the woods of Wisconsin.

Others, apparently fear the image of 400 stands hung on just about every other tree.

"Nobody says you have to hunt out of a tree stand. Stay on the ground if someone's not capable."

To retro I say this: "Nobody says you have to hunt an area with pre-hung stands - find another area to hunt if your not capable of interacting with other hunters."

And that statement (mine), makes about as much sense as your (Retro's) original statement!

For the record - I am perfectly capable....as it has nothing - absolutely nothing at all to do with capability. It has everything to do with safety and common sense.

I love bow hunting deer but I am certainly not foolish enough to love it so much I will risk an almost certain injury in doing so.

And neither should anyone else.

Let's do it right so everyone can enjoy the sport.

It's not about "easy" not about "capability" and it's not about "lazy."

It's about safety, common sense and treating folks that recreate on public lands/waters the same as they do waterfowlers and ice fishermen.

Wasn't Chuck Conner's from the old "Rifleman" TV show that said...."Sometimes common sense is not so common!"

05-Apr-16
Humor? Meant no humor by it. It was several very easy to understand (created for you) examples of how retarded your pattern of thought is. You want this law changed because your worried about the "other guy"? Gimme a break. If you cant play Tarzan anymore, then stay on the ground and play Jane.

05-Apr-16
I put up and take down a stand with each hunt. That often means twice a day. I hunt public land. I am over 50. I can do it. If I don't want to do it, I hunt from the ground.

How many old cheap stands do some guys own. I have seen may guys on this site talking about buying cheap stands after the season on clearance a Menards or somewhere. How many of these guys might think it a good idea to put every stand they don't usually use in some area to mark their territory.

Several years ago my brother sold a fish shanty for $500. The got a knock on the door one spring from a LEO asking why he didn't take his shanty off the lake. Someone walked way from a $500 investment. To some, $500 is a lot, to others, it is not worth the time to go pick it up. Wonder if some 10 year old, originally $50 stand would be more easily forgotten about in the woods come spring.

If every stand left after the season had a $500 fine and loss of hunting for 1 year. And you had to register them with the DNR or at least labeled, so they knew who to fine, then maybe people would pick up after themselves. Add to that, any unregistered/labeled stand being free for the taking, would keep things pretty clean. Add a $150 ticket if your caught in a unregistered stand.

How many bow/gun hunters are there in WI? 200,000+, 500,000+ How many of those hunters are "slob hunters"? 5% That means about how many total? 10,000+, 25,000+ How many in your county? And, I believe, many of those guys hunt public land. Because if they hunted their own land, they would take care of it.

05-Apr-16
BT, I hope you don't walk into the woods before or after light. You are very likely to get a stick in the eye or trip over a root or twist an ankle in a hole.

05-Apr-16
I respectfully disagree BT. Actually with almost everything you've had to say. Disagreeing with happys comment about more confrontation. You speak about common sense? It's common sense that happys theory would/has come to life with tree stands being left up.

Than you speak about setting a tree stand up at night. And how dangerous it is. And all your logic behind it is numbing. Listening to your rederic makes me want to start calling stands in. It's for good reason to do so. Especially on small public parcels. There are only so many good areas on a 1500 acre area. Lots of public in Wisconsin that are way smaller. And to think a guy should have first come first serve. This is my area, get out confrontations? No, there's a reason it's a law.

In my opinion. Guys that run and gun with a stand and sticks on his back are more successful. You keep up with the freshest sign. Your always in new areas. Your not over pressuring an area, and so on. To me, you have a lot more pros by tearing down after you leave. Than leaving it up until your done for the year, or whenever convenient for you.

Plus I've been setting up tree stands in the dark for years. It's the same as setting up In the light. Put a head light on and go up. And it also seems maybe you need to invest in different equipment. A lone wolf hang on and sticks are as good as it gets. You can even go further like I have and paracord the edges of your stand and seat. Stealth strip your sticks. It's extremely quiet if handled properly.

Let's not change laws because of your thoughts on danger. When it could be a breeze to others. Sounding like a true liberal when they speak about guns. Myself and others can handle them with no issue. so it leaves me to say control your own fate, don't try and control others.

06-Apr-16
Let's look at it this way. I scout a ton this time of year on public land. By greenup I will have hundreds of potential stand sites logged into the GPS. I probably will not hunt all of those in a season. But you need lots of options on public land when you are hunting mature bucks. If it were legal to put stands up say from Sept 1st and leave them up through the season. I would have at least 80 stands up in the spots I have marked. Hey better I have them marked than the next guy. Now I wouldn't do that more than likely, but there are plenty that would. Like Nocturnal said, it's not that hard or unsafe setting up and taking down each hunt.

Hell I fear crossing some of the swamps/marshes that I have to in the dark more than anything. Maybe we can get all the swamps and marshes drained as they are unsafe;)

06-Apr-16
Some funny stuff Retro - "retarded" "Tarzan", yep - funny stuff there!

Here's something else that's funny!

I think it's funny that currently in the State of Wisconsin there are 19 Counties - that's right 19 Counties, that currently allow tree stand placement overnight on County lands.

Our County lands in this State is somewhere around 2.35 million acres.

Now, I would suspect that one would have to think that with 19 Counties permitting such an outrageously stupid practice - Sheriff's Departments across the State would be dealing with all sorts of "Hunter Conflict" issues!

Dumpster rentals by individual counties would be threw the roof as those Foresters collect discarded tree stands recovered from the woods!

Funny, the sheer numbers speak for themselves because if there was so many "problems"....why would 19 Counties allow this?

Yep, funny stuff!

And just for the record Retro -

Question my integrity? I've made it a life time career "worrying about the other guy", including people just like you.

In closing, I believe that eventually the State will catch on and yes, we can leave our tree stands up.

Kinda funny, It would appear that I am not the only one that thinks this practice is a safe and appropriate alternative.

Me and my AARP friends will be so happy!

Shoot Straight boys!

06-Apr-16
Nocturnal +1.

06-Apr-16
Whenever you don't own the land your hunting there will always be rules and restrictions. There is simply no reason to encourage more conflict in the woods. If it was allowed to keep up stands, why would I want to put $100s of dollars out there where I know some yahoo can take it down in 5 minutes and be gone. If a guy doesn't mind others sitting in their stands or taking the chance of their stands being stolen, have at it.

06-Apr-16
What's wrong with you Bloodtrail . You don't like spooking the deer at prime time in the morning and evening putting up and taking your stand down , LOL . I would think common sense would tell people it's more dangerous to pull a stand in the dark . Wish people would have more respect for each other on here .

06-Apr-16
Don't be so sensitive swampy. The whole debate wasn't bad. And just remember. Just because it's hard or dangerous to you, doesn't mean it's the same to the next guy. It's not hard setting up a stand. And I kno everyone can agree. Deer tolerate a whole lot more in total darkness vs daylight. Do as you please. Set up in the day time, take down before dark. Leave your stand up all season. But Don't be disappointed when you walk in, to your stand gone.

06-Apr-16
Public is public, so yes I have no problem, with a guy leaving a stand up, he is going to hunt out of for another day or so,,,,,,, unfortunately, leaving one for the season, someone is going to sit in it, if your not there, so would you have a problem with that?

I know no one on this site, would hunt like that, but its going to happen,,,,

as far as spooking deer, I agree with BT, that's why I have gotten permission on private land, if that land is worth hunting, because targeting better bucks, getting in early is crucial, especially if your hunting beds, but again, allowing it can cause conflict.......

the question on the CC vote will be for land north of 64...... The Feds allow it, but I have seen lots of problems, and mostly its handled between the hunters, but its all about claiming areas on public land, and it can get messy.....

I met a guy who hung 22 ladder stands on Federal land last year, I met him, while I was grouse hunting. He was disappointed I was bird hunting his area, but he was a nice guy. I told him I have plenty of spots, so I will not be back....

He told me, that he takes every one of them down, at the end of ml season,,,,,, so there is one in a million.......

I am at the point I do not care anymore, I just hunt. I scout, and have to work around all the baits, and other stands, and make my set ups accordingly,,,,,

I hope they find cwd on a game farm, that is within 10 miles of Florence Co, and that problem will be solved

06-Apr-16
Your wrong Happy - being a LEO has nothing to do with it other than my job has taught me long ago how to get along with others and achieve voluntary compliance whether on/off duty it can work 24/7.

Many here have provided me options you say?

Ya, like just hunt on the ground? How about the one where I should put the stand up at first light and take it down at last light? Swampy referred to that time as "PRIME TIME"...he's right! - How about the one that says I shouldn't walk in the dark because I'll get a stick in the eye? Twist a foot or ankle...some very "intelligent" and well thought out banter.

Sometimes, as our ole' friend Razor referenced (another LEO) kindness, chatting and backing out of an area, often fosters good relationships with others. Like many things in life it doesn't work all the time, but more often than not.

I encounter more turkey hunters on public land than anything else. (Don't firearm hunt deer on public) And of all the people I have chatted with in the woods, on my off time, I have never had a "confrontation with the common man" or "uncommon man" or woman, for that fact, while off duty in the woods. In fact I have never experienced a bad experience in nearly 40 years of hunting public land off and on through the years.

I gotta have a golden horseshow up my butt? How does a guy do this? Just "lucky" I guess?

Is there an occasional "hardnose" - absolutely! Cheesehead Mike deals with a bunch up by him he says. And yes, sometime there will be an idiots) that needs to be dealt with - but in my humble opinion that's why the good Lord invented deputies and wardens.

Change is scary stuff - I understand that. Few people like it and they love that "old soft worn out slipper."

I fell almost some 20 years ago. The fall was not that high and I suspect it was about 10 feet or so. For those interested....it was bright daylight and never forgot it. To those that have fallen, you know how scary it is.

!

28-Apr-16
I received an email back from Rich Dailey of the Clark County Forest.

Rich reports that they have had legal over night tree stands on County land for 20 years now. Starts September 07 and stands can stay up for the season.

Rich say the biggest problem they have is the cutting of shooting lanes. He did state they do find some "non-compliant" stands each year - but basically no real problems.

So if Clark County can get this done with little or no problems - about time the State jumps onboard.

Perhaps the there year trial period would be the hot ticket to see "IF" there was problems and what those problems would be if any?

28-Apr-16
BT, how many that have confrontations do you think actually involve the law¿

28-Apr-16
One can only guess I would suppose Rut!

The only thing I would be concerned about would be smaller pieces of properties that someone mentioned earlier in the thread - of course, I would think they would have a higher potential for conflict.

19 counties are doing it now so I guess it not so problematic I guess.

Smaller ones, perhaps?

28-Apr-16
There is a big difference between a county up north with tens of thousands of acres of public land and relatively few hunters and a county in the southern two thirds of the state that may only have hundreds of actes of public land and a much higher hunter density.

The problem with many of these hot button debates is that too many people only consider the impact to them individually and the area they hunt. The statutes/rules generally have to be applied statewide.

29-Apr-16
Skooumjt said what I was going to post.

29-Apr-16
The majority of public land I hunt are smaller parcels. There are already neighboring landowners and locals that try to stake claims. Leaving stands up would onlyake this worse. I would then be forced to try and put out more stands than them. It works well now. Get there early, and pack it out each day. This weeds out some of the less serious, lazy, whatever you want to call them. Not lumping you in there BT. I know your main reason is that you don't like set up/tear down in the dark.

30-Apr-16
Thanks Rut -

I get it, smaller tracks - higher likelihood of a conflict. I agree....

• Sitka Gear