longbeard 02-Apr-16
GF 07-Apr-16
Will 08-Apr-16
BowhunterVA33 27-Apr-16
bigbuckbob 28-Apr-16
Bob in Southington 30-Apr-16
02-Apr-16

Fletch's Link
I live in Manchester and hike this property daily and used to hunt adjacent property until they started developing it late this fall. I usually watch the news nightly but was watching a bunch of North Woods Law last night.

I take my lab out for a hike this morning as we usually do and half way into it a coyote comes across the ridge top of a hill 50 yards to my left and moves behind us, keeping an eye on us the whole time. It stops and starts moving at us and Clancy starts going towards it. I get Clancy to heal and start screaming at the thing and threw what fells like logs now at it. All the while checking the periphery for more yotes. One of the logs hits a tree above its head and explodes which stops him in his tracks and he retreats and actually pops a squat...I scared the sh!t outta him. So I grab a thick oak branch and we continue as we're a mile out and have no other choice to keep moving to get where I parked.

I've got my head on a swivel the whole time and he it comes up behind us again...repeat the whole scenario except as I'm walking away this time I hear some kids on the trampoline in their yard on the other side of the hill from the coyote. I yell to them to get inside b/c of the yote and watch as they haul ass inside. I had to take a longer route out b/c the other option took us through some thick areas and I wanted more of a sight line to watch out for it or others...yelling at it to get out of here every once in a while to keep it at bay. Never saw it again, but it probably saw us a few more times. When we get to the truck my father had left me a voicemail 15 minutes earlier telling me about the attached story. I know that woman and dogs that were attacked and have hiked a bit with Dave a few times. Wish I had caught the news last night. But as a hunter I'm glad I know a little more about their behavior than others do

02-Apr-16
Yeah, my wife asked me if I was terrified and was surprised when I said no...that I did everything to keep it at bay, just a little nervous for the dog and would have felt guilty if something happened with those kids. When I get my permit I will carry but would have had a time with a neighborhood so close

02-Apr-16
Another example of dog owners not having their own pet under control at all times. Its sad to say, but I see it all of the time, leash law or not, in that type of setting very few keep their pet leashed

07-Apr-16
Makes me wish that a few folks would have some close calls at Mianus River... Don't want any dogs getting roughed up, but leashes (which are REQUIRED) are the exception, rather than the rule...

Never fails... You wade in to a good spot on the river at the head of a pool or something; you wait 10 minutes for the place to settle down; and on your third cast, somebody's pup will launch into the water like a Grand-Champion field trialer headed off a dock with a full head o' steam.

"No, haven't caught anything yet, but thanks for asking...."

08-Apr-16
Wow. Crazy encounter fletch. Ill admit, I ponder carrying bear spray given the number of bears in my neck of the woods. Turning around and seeing a bruin walking with you would be a little unnerving. Never bugged me as much, until I saw one that was 400# and made a 150" 200~ lb buck being dropped at the butcher at the same time look like a 50# fawn. That bear could eat you no problem!

Yotes, more just annoying as heck in this scenario. But a face blast with bear spray would do the trick nicely.

As for the dog's on leashes thing. Yes. A few weeks ago my wife is walking with the kids in the SF here and an old timer and his lab go by. The lab was trying to be friendly and basically knocked the kids over with it's exuberance. It was 50yds from him because it took off to my wife and kids as soon as it saw them.

That happens all the time in SF's up here while walking or running or biking. They are supposed to be on leashes, but people just "let them run". So annoying!

27-Apr-16
our neighbor breathlessly told me about a bobcat in that she had seen. She did not realize that healthy ones are quite shy around people. Then she admitted that she was inside when seeing the 'cat.

I'm amazed how many 'nature lovers' haven't a clue about nature except how it looks through the window.

28-Apr-16
small male bear (170 - 200 lbs) was killed on I-84 this week right near the Hawks Landing golf course. Saw it on the way to work on the shoulder and almost stopped to check it out, but too many cars. Police said no car was in the area when they found it and no one reported it.

30-Apr-16
Fletch the coyoty was just staking his territory. He was threatened by your dog. No need to alarm the neighbors.

• Sitka Gear