happygolucky 12-Apr-16
Bucks_n_Gobblers 12-Apr-16
C G 13-Apr-16
C G 13-Apr-16
Naz 13-Apr-16
Bloodtrail 13-Apr-16
razorhead 14-Apr-16
03-Apr-16
Who's taking any kids this year? I'll be taking two this weekend. Should be a really great year this year, with the mild winter. Scouted hard this weekend, saw lots of birds. Zone 1 here, public land.

03-Apr-16
1 12 year old on public zone 2

03-Apr-16
One 12 year old scheduled this year!

Birds down in my area still - crossing fingers in zone 1

04-Apr-16
I took the kid I'm taking on a learn to hunt this weekend to meet some of the property owners we will be hunting on and did some scouting on Saturday.

If we are lucky enough to get a bird with some time left, I'll get my daughter out too.....if not, she waits until her normal season...same as last year. My daughters have tagged along since they were both 3, so I focus more on kids that come from non-turkey hunting families or non-hunting families, through our local learn to hunt. My daughters are 9 and 12.

07-Apr-16
Well as it turns out the 12 year old is busy so I have a fifteen year old young lady pinch hitting Saturday!

The low is supposed to be 19 degrees....heater in the turkey blind! No snow predicted...which is good!

07-Apr-16
I must admit, I backed out from taking a youth hunting this weekend. I did get someone to take my place but getting a call from a CO friend who has active lions on his property was too much to pass up. I leave tomorrow.

07-Apr-16
Good Luck Captain!

07-Apr-16
Good luck everyone post pics if they put one down.

08-Apr-16
Good luck to all the youth hunters this weekend and thanks to all you mentors for taking the time to do this.

08-Apr-16
Thanks Noc and Konk - we are ready to rock - if the blind doesn't blow away today!

Got it set up by 1:00 PM and backed out - wind was terrible and I almost did a Mary Poppins with it in hand!

Freezing cold morning scheduled at 19 degrees! Heater is in the blind awaiting!

08-Apr-16
Pat, another advantage to brushing them in lol. I went out there after the 60 mph gusts we had over a week ago, and the three blinds were unscathed. I believe the frame we put on the blind and putting a secondary wind block on it, keeps it from blowing away. I lost a blind many years ago. I'm sure it rolled across the field like tumbleweed until it stopped at the road where a passer-by hit the jackpot!

08-Apr-16
a neighbor of mine has his stand all set up,,,, right out in the open,,,,, there was at 11am at least 30 birds walking around it, eating in the field,,,,,, good luck to all the kids

08-Apr-16
Roosted a couple toms. Now hopefully they do what I think they will. Game on guys. I'm excited!! Good luck again. Please post pics if your successful.

08-Apr-16
Pete - Ya got me there! LOL

I had fun in the wind storm today. In your honor Pete...I did place some brush up against the blind....just in case!! LOL

God, I hope the blind is there in the morning!

Off to bed....Good luck kids!

09-Apr-16
Sounds great Pat. Keep us posted!

09-Apr-16
So far we have one miss. 30 yard shot and the turkey got peppered. Reviewed the footage and he shot the ground right before him. Lol. Still going strong though. But he is bummed. That's hunting

09-Apr-16
They need to work out the bags nocturnal. He'll get the next one. We often forget about our trials and tribulations as we learned and continue to learn. It's funny how lack of experience is the best teacher and that unfortunately comes with some letdowns. My son dud the same thing on his first bird, and decapitated his second chance bird that same evening.

10-Apr-16

Montesdaddy's embedded Photo
Montesdaddy's embedded Photo
My nephew had some success yesterday. Tough conditions up north yesterday but he made it work.

10-Apr-16
Congrats to your nephew montes.

Well the two boys did awesome for their first time. I know they learned a lot. And also had many hard lessons learned. We never got a bird. But had so many close calls. They didn't want to shoot a jake so we passed up a total of 6 on two different occasions. We had 6 toms within 40 yards on 5 different sets. 2 came in behind us. And we should have had a double but that was my fault because I should have moved to the back of them so that they could get a shot. I thought they would have seen me move, along with a big camera and tripod. Needless to say the one Tom got 5 yards behind me and all of a sudden "putt"

We finished up this morning at 10. And we had 5 hens and a Tom work. But the way our set up was. They had to work past us from right to left in order to get a shot. The hens lead first of course. And the one hen saw one of the boys move a bit. And she walks off and the rest of them, along with the Tom followed. Of course when he walked off. I had the only angle to get a shot. So we got some footage of him for the boys to see after.

They had a ball out there and so did I. Although we didn't take one. The hunting was fantastic. It's nice working birds that haven't received and pressure. We had them all to ourselves. Now they want to go during Their regular time zone. So I'll be playing guide again last weekend of April.

10-Apr-16
Congrats to all the kids and the mentors who enjoyed the hunt this weekend.

11-Apr-16
very cool post and pic

12-Apr-16
Awesome for the young hunters!

12-Apr-16
Great stuff here, guys! This is what it's about... Congrats to all of the kids who were able to get out and enjoy the season already and congrats to those who got a little action.

12-Apr-16
Yes, it's the smiles! Thanks for taking the first timers out. Awesome! BC

12-Apr-16
Cool stuff everyone. Keep 'em coming.

12-Apr-16
Should have had an opportunity Sat... we only had a couple hours to go so we hunted until 4pm. we got out and I secured the blind down some more before we left.

As I am doing so..I turn around and two big toms appear to our left just about 70 yards away. I don't think they noticed us right away as our decoys were still out and they were focused on those.

Lo and behold they slowly turned around and walked away as I quietly swear to myself. This has happened to me on a couple of occasions...you think I would learn! Only if we would have stayed in the blind another 5-10 minutes.

A learning lesson for the boy and a the life of a hunter I guess.

13-Apr-16

C G's embedded Photo
C G's embedded Photo
Congratulations to those who were able to get out already!

My son has been turkey and deer hunting with me since he was 3, he is 9 now and this was his first year to be able to shoot on a recent trip we took to Nebraska. We left WI on April 6th after school and went to South Dakota for a short 1 1/2 day hunt, where I took a tom with my bow on the first afternoon. We then had all day Friday to get to Nebraska and scout the rest of the day. He was pretty pumped for Saturday morning, his first day of hunting! We hunted hard all day long in 3 different set ups, but the wind was 40+mph and it was a long day with not much turkey activity.

Sunday was a different story as it was a great weather day. Initially we had a group of multiple hens, toms and jakes come close but they would not fully commit to our set up. Shortly after that a single tom returned our calls and eventually was strutting into our decoys at 20 yards. My son was very patient and waited for the right opportunity. Finally the tom stuck his neck up out of strut and he shot and had his first turkey!

13-Apr-16

C G's embedded Photo
C G's embedded Photo
After pictures, we hopped back into the blind and hunted until 11:30 and went back to camp for lunch and a few chores.

We got back out that afternoon about 4pm and set up our blind along a barbed wire fence and put the decoys out in a field where we figured some birds would cross on the way to roost. We had a few hens come in and try and assault the decoys about 5pm. About 6pm we heard some gobbles about 400 yards away where they stayed for about 30 minutes. Finally, they came into the same field as us about 250 yards away. They stood in the same spot and just gobbled repeatedly expecting the hens to come to them. After about twenty minutes they appeared to be leaving so I gobbled at them and they then headed our way slowly. They got to about 75 yards and sprinted right to the decoys and started attacking the jake. It was tough for my son as they were close together and jumping and twisting. He again was very patient and waited for them to separate a bit and stop moving. He made another great shot and had the 2nd tom of the day and of his life! April 10th was a day he and I will never forget!

13-Apr-16
Congrats to your son CG, a great memory for sure!

A controversial bill to allow any age to hunt in WI has been available for scheduling for more than three months, but no "on the record" action has been taken since. My opinion is that 10 is a good starting age for turkeys and deer. Any lower and I'd recommend small game only. Good for a whole host of reasons, including learning skills (and patience) that help "hook" you for life. Small game hunting is how most of us in the 50+ crowd started out. Not so for many youths today, and I believe it's part of the reason many never fully connect with the hunting lifestyle.

13-Apr-16
Small game is important and is quickly fading away on the horizon in my opinion. I say this only based upon my observations as less and less people seem to be in the woods pursuing rabbits and squirrels.

Rarely if ever do I encounter anyone while flying my red tail hawk in pursuit of those same game animals. Tracks in the snow show that very few people are looking for winter squirrels and rabbits anymore and me and my Nala have the woodlots basically to ourselves.

NAZ makes a good point I believe regarding small game.

I disagree on the age restriction on turkeys as I have seen plenty of youth safely and successfully harvest Gobblers in southern states at ages less than 10.

Father of the week award goes to our friend, C G and his young son on some fine turkey hunting! Good job fella's!

14-Apr-16
BT +1

• Sitka Gear