08-Apr-16

08-Apr-16

wilbur's embedded Photo
wilbur's embedded Photo

08-Apr-16

wilbur's embedded Photo
wilbur's embedded Photo

08-Apr-16
They were dancing in the southern Adirondacks last weekend. I hope they are a bit slower up there.

08-Apr-16
Around 5pm I passed a field just down the road. At least 8 toms were fanned out and the field was full of hens all over. I can't hunt the property anymore, but I do hunt the adjoining land.

11-Apr-16

Gene's embedded Photo
Gene's embedded Photo
I am seeing birds strutting in fields also. In fact,I have been seeing that for the past few weeks. By the way, the season opens here in CT on April 27. Here is a photo from the "way back machine" of my hunting partner Dave and me from a dairy farm that we used to hunt that was loaded with birds. That farm moved the herd to Utah years ago - damn!

11-Apr-16
I was going to, but my nephews Dad is taking them to Mexico.. they leave Wed for 10 days...

He ends up missing the entire youth week

11-Apr-16

wilbur's embedded Photo
wilbur's embedded Photo
Hey who's down there?

11-Apr-16
Took off today and tomorrow to be with my grandson who's off from school this week. Played laser tag and started off by running into a wall busting open my nose, and then went for a hike in the woods hoping to call in a turkey or two.

Well, he was having too much fun climbing trees, finding salamanders, finding walking sticks, and yelling to me that to come over here and look at this plant, or rock, or stick, or pheasant feathers (look, they're really soft).

Had a great time! No turkeys, but nice just to be in the woods with my little buddy.

11-Apr-16
Sounds like you both had a blast...

12-Apr-16

Will's embedded Photo
Will's embedded Photo
Bob that sounds absolutely awesome! What a great time!

Pat, they are getting jiggy with it up here in North Central MA as well. Pic from Sunday.

12-Apr-16
Watch a hen cross the street yesterday at 11am shortly behind her were a jake and tom, looking for her. Wish the season started this week, they are going to be all hened up for the opener. The jr's should be good this weekend and next though.

20-Apr-16
They been humping since March...That's normal and they will be humping into June...which is also normal. No need to change the season dates. Been May 1 in NY for many, many years and that seems to be right on. Most seasons you could probably call in a gobbler well into July. Lots of hens lose their nest at some point and will breed again...hence the difference in poult size you see running around in early bow season. Some are as big as chickens and some are the size of Grouse. Very normal. You need to hunt the whole season to get a feel of the peaks and valleys in their breeding cycle, which is reflected in the amount of gobbling that you hear

• Sitka Gear