Nocturnal8 08-Apr-16
Bloodtrail 08-Apr-16
rick allison 09-Apr-16
happygolucky 09-Apr-16
razorhead 09-Apr-16
Zinger 09-Apr-16
happygolucky 12-Apr-16
08-Apr-16
Now if you could just get your shot placement under controll you might kill a 100 incher.

08-Apr-16
No name you are the cancer to this site!

08-Apr-16
Yes Ron Jr.

08-Apr-16
Rancid Crabtree is defiantly,,,,,the world champion online cancer. ROTFLOL. After watching him,,,, for a few years.... its obvious,,,, he is doing what he loves.... annoying people.

08-Apr-16
I don't recall either one of you offering any knowledge on this site. EVER!!!

08-Apr-16
Noc...ya make a good point there!

09-Apr-16
Well...not trying to start a pissin' match here, but.....

I'm amazed at the "light" arrow wieghts a lot of compound shooters employ today.

I'm a recurve/longbow guy, but shot compounds for a while in the 70/80's. Then, I shot up to 89lbs and used 2219 aluminum.

Now, I'm at 52ish lbs with my sticks...still shooting aluminum, 2117's with grizzly single bevel, for a total arrow wieght of around 575 grains...or around 11 grains per pound.

With that combo, on whitetails, pass thoughs are the norm and the shot is whisper quiet. My speed is 196fps at 9 grains per pound...never chrono'd at 11, but would be a little slower.

Anyway, it seems most compound guys, shooting much heavier weights, are shooting very light arrows for speed. I kinda attribute that to the popularity of 3-D and the need for speed for a flat shooting, "scoring" arrow.

Yeah, I'm "old school"...hell...I'm just old :^). But, I was raised with the concept of using heavy, hard hitting arrows with a sharp coc broadhead...and...you know...old dog, new tricks...

09-Apr-16
To so many people it is about speed. They have bought into the speed mantra. With today's bows, you could shoot heavy arrows and still have plenty enough speed. Look at is this way with a gun, would you shoot a super fast .22LR at a true big game animal like a hippo or would you be better off with something much larger in grain and slower? Of course, the bigger/heavier wins out. It is about momentum and you get better penetration with momentum. With whitetails, the lighter setups or heavier setups will all work and passthroughs are common. The article is spot on.

09-Apr-16
I agree with Rick.... my compound is set at 58lbs, that is the bow, sweet spot, total arrow weight, with bh, 480 grains, no penetration problems

My recurve is 45lbs, the arrow is tuned for the bow, and a 130 grain bh, total arrow weight on that is 449 no penetration problem,,,,,

for the compound I shoot it at 55 yards, for flight etc

my recurve, I shoot at 25yards...... works for me

09-Apr-16
This argument can go back and forth over light or heavy arrows. If I hunted grizzly bear or hippos then maybe I would worry about it but foe deer and black bear pass throughs are the norm with basically any arrow out of a modern compound. Maybe they weren't 20+ years ago but now it is, a lot of people are still just thinking on old time believes.

I used to shoot 80+lbs but with todays bows 60lbs is more than enough and I get enen better penetration.

I do believe that the light arrow and speed thing did come because of 3D shooting but that's a good thing not a bad thing. Faster, flatter arrows increase in the field accuracy. By that I mean you can misjudge your yardage by more and still make a killing shot with a faster arrow.

12-Apr-16

happygolucky's Link
Another related thread and good read on the topic.

• Sitka Gear