happygolucky 19-Sep-16
buckhammer 20-Sep-16
happygolucky 18-Oct-16
Bows the way 19-Oct-16
happygolucky 19-Oct-16
Jon Stewart 20-Oct-16
happygolucky 20-Oct-16
09-Apr-16
Anyone have success in UP on sandy soil if so what did you use. Trying to plan things out as I look out the window at 5 inches of new snow UGH.

11-Apr-16

happygolucky's Link
Good timing on this. I bought land in the UP (Escanaba) last year and while I did loads of projects, I did not get any plots in. That is the goal this year.

Here is my plan:

- Had some dozer work this winter and am waiting for a return trip to clean out more stumps and to expose more soil and level it. This is for 2 different plots.

- Cut a bunch of cedars out of around a 10,000sf spot and raked it out. Laid 200#s of pelletized lime and 50#s of triple 19 fertilizer. In a couple of weeks, I'll be renting a tiller and will hit that area again and lay the same amount of lime and fertilizer again. I will then plant a spring plot of the Soil Builder Mix from nutritionist's company (he is a sponsor here and I attached his link). Come August, I will over seed that area with his Fall Draw mix.

- I am hoping to get my forester to do the two plot areas being cleared by the dozer. One is around 1/2 acre and the other is another +/- 10,000sf smallish area. I did a soil test last year in the 1/2 acre area and as expected, the soil needs work (results are below). I would expect the forester to lay around 2-3 tons of lime per acre and probably 400#s of triple 19 per acre. I plan both to be fall plots with a mix of winter rye, winter peas, and a rape/brassica mix. I'd be safest in year one with buckwheat and a sweetener like peas and rye for soil purposes but I think we'll wing it and see how it goes assuming the lime/fertilizer and weed killing goes well.

- I am also further clearing a many decade old logging trail that was overgrown with tag alders and probably has over 1000 cedar tree parts laid down by the loggers. My son and I opened it up decent last year (he shot a 6pt from that trail) and this year we're tackling it more trying to make it wider and clear the trees from the ground. We took out another couple dozen cedars 2 weeks ago from there. I am going to take a flier and plant some of nutritionist's Logging Trail Mix along with Birdsfoot Trefoil and Sweet grass. I will lay some lime and triple 19 but this one is a wing and a prayer. I will first spray the area with a Garlon4/diesel mix to kill all the cut tag alders.

I am in the same boat as you with a sandy loom soil but I was OK with the first soil test. The soil ph was 6.2 (better than I thought), the Phosphorus (P) was 5 which is low, the Potassium (K) was 23 which is very low, the Calcium (Ca) was at 993 which is right at adequate, and the Magnesium (Mg) was at 147 which is adequate.

I expect it to take me a couple/few years to get the soil really good. I just know that any form of food, outside of the Michigan's famous golden kernel, will be a huge differentiator on my land. I know none of the neighbors have plots. We did have deer on the land and killed 2 bucks and I have no idea why they were there from a food perspective. My son and I cut down loads of trees and opened up lots of areas for growth and I am assuming that growth attracted some deer in my very old cedar forest.

So, in conclusion, I can't give you a definitive answer but am telling you my plans and my forester feels the plan should work. I’ll probably tweak the fertilizer types and ratios to follow the soil sample closer. We shall see. I did get a Forest Stewardship Plan written for me and am using the same forester for the food plot work. I have loads of work ahead of me. This is a marathon and not a sprint...

12-Apr-16
BIG BEAR from here planted a plot last year. I'm curious how it did. BB, ya out there?

12-Apr-16
So where I'm at is southern Schoolcraft. It was logged 3 years ago but select cut I've got the same problem with the logging slash to clean up. Just figured I'd start small with 100 X 100 try to grow a little every year. Was thinking about planting beans to start or alfalfa.

12-Apr-16
My forester highly recommended a whole plot of buckwheat and I may still do that in one area. That is because it is a good soil builder and is good against weeds too. It is a good "beginners" plot. That Soil Builder mix I mentioned has 20% buckwheat in it. That mix can be planted spring or fall.

I have a lot to learn in this arena, but it has been fun learning this far. I can't wait to see the fruits of my labor.

It would be great if others with more experience piped in. I always post my questions on the Big Game forum or pm/email nutritionist directly.

12-Apr-16
I will be planting buckwheat again then some rye. I am trying to build up my crappy soil. This will be my second year doing this. But first I need to do a soil test.

27-Apr-16
Soil test by a reputable seed/ag store then ask what will grow and a plan. The problem with some poor soil (sandy for example) is it won't hold moisture or nutrients. Had that problem behind my house on a small food plot in the woods. Soil looked dark and rich for 4-6 inches, but looks can be deceiving. I'm on a 2-3 year plan of building 1st with rye, then tilled two crops of that under and now doing buck wheat, tilling and then buck wheat mixed with buck oats in the second fall (but deer mowed down the oats in no time). If you're guessing, you're probably literally pouring seed, fertilizer and lime down the drain.

27-Apr-16
By the way, the nutrients, ph, etc. were all decent, but not great, my problem was the soil structure. If my structure was good enough, I could have applied enough nutrient for some of the more desirable seed blends. Just wanted to make that distinction.

27-Apr-16
That makes sense Ray.

28-Apr-16
It's good marketing on the local store I work with part. The get the tests back and then you meet with the food plot staff expert. They sell all the seed, lime and fertilizers right there. He writes out a plan right on the front page of your test and then they keep a copy on file in the store. It gives you amounts of lime, fertilizer, seed to plant, when to till under and replant over a three year period, then retesting to see what improvements have occurred. I had the little home test kit that did ph, nitrates, phosphorus and potassium levels and they came out pretty close to the official tests, however the composition part I had no way of knowing and that was the real important part. I had planted some seed from QDMA (their ultimate blend) and even though it sprouted good and was in the shade of the woods for much of the day, it dried up and I was forced to use a long hose from the house back to the food plot (it's only 50 yards behind my yard. It makes sense to me now why I was having to water it to keep it growing. In remote plots, especially in open, that's not an option.

28-Apr-16
That's exactly what I did, I run a hose about 150 yards behind my house and watered the one plot. The clover, winter peas came up but not very good. I need to clear more trees for better sunlight also. Thanks for the info.

28-Apr-16
I have about four inches of dirt, then blow sand. So it's probably a waste of time and money .Maybe I will just stick to fruit trees.

28-Apr-16

Ray Lyon's embedded Photo
Ray Lyon's embedded Photo
Burly, if it's a long term project, it can be done, just will take some effort planting, tilling and replanting cover crops and throwing compost on if you have it available. My plot keeps critters around spring through late fall when snow flies. I had seven different bucks cruise through including a dandy 10. I don't water any more, just plant, till, replant, till, plant late august and then let my daughter hunt.

Here's an early spring photo of the rye in the second year before switching to buckwheat after tilling in late May. This picture was taken from the back door.

28-Apr-16
Cool pic Ray, thanks for the advice. I was planning on planting buckwheat then go from there.

02-May-16

happygolucky's embedded Photo
I have crap for soil too but I am also working on a multi-year attempt to improve the soil. In this around 8000sf section in the woods, I have laid 480#s of lime and 150#s of 19-19-19. I rented a rear tiller and tilled that in best I could around the trees and stumps (I cut lots of trees!). I did a spring planting with the Soil Builder Mix from the link I provided in a previous email. I added some Alsike clover and Berseem clover to that mix. I am now basically praying something grows this year. I will broadcast in some of the Fall Draw mix from the link with some winter rye in August. I plan to till it under next spring and add lots more lime and fertilizer according to what the next soil sample shows. I have other areas I am working on but am waiting on more dozer work first and the land is too wet for that now.

The pics are prior to tilling.

02-May-16

25-Jun-16

happygolucky's Link
Here's a pic of the plot above with growth. Looking good so far and I have some bare spots the deer have caused.

I will be broadcast seeding Grandpa Ray's Fall Draw into this in August. I will also add another 50#s of triple 19 fertilizer.

25-Jun-16

happygolucky's Link
The next pic is of another area I opened in my crappy cedars. This was dense with cedars and tag alders. I have since sprayed with Gly/AMS to kill the grass/weeds and Garlon4/diesel to finish off the cut tag alders.

I have put down 400# of pelletized lime and will fertilize when I plant. I will be adding more lime too. This one is a shot on the dark because I can't use any equipment in here. I rented a tiller for the other in-the-woods plot but everything else in there was done by hand too. This one will require planting on a rainy day to get the seed through the dead foliage to the soil.

25-Jun-16

Here is the new cut (loaded with stumps) prior to spraying.

25-Jun-16

Here's a pic from after the 1st spraying. I did a 2nd spraying to get the rest of the grass/weeds this weekend. I will plant in early August and keep my fingers crossed. I don't expect the same results I have thus far in my other plot and think this one will be a multi-year venture to get right. My goal is for this to be a perennial plot of clovers and chicory.

26-Jun-16
nice job happy

19-Jul-16
My food plot sucked last year (It's only about a quarter acre)........... I added 500 more pounds of lime this spring and I'm headed up soon to plant and try again.......... I know I can get rye to grow...........but I'd really like some clover............ I haven't gotten up north enough this summer...........

I have another similar sized clearing I need to get into and with my brush hog max.......to prep for next year.........

19-Jul-16
I put in no food plots,,,, I select cut my land, I have a sanctuary area, and the deer are doing well on what the sun grows for them in what is known as young forests.....

I hate bait, I hate food plots, its not natural, but I am the extreme,,,,,, the deer only need a forest, that is managed well

19-Jul-16
I need someone to select cut my land... I don't have the time to do it ..........But it needs to be done........Not enough light gets to the forest floor on much of my property.....

I had a forestry survey done.......and they recommended clear cutting half of my land to regenerate the aspen...........but Geeze..... I don't know if I'm ready to do that........

20-Jul-16

Jon Stewart's embedded Photo
Jon Stewart's embedded Photo
Here is one of my food plots (part of one). Behind the deer and sand bunker in that dark hole in the pines is one of my ground blinds. I have tillered this plot about 6 times and will do it a few more before I plant it which will be later in August. Not sure what I am going to put in yet.

Big Bear, I had 21 semi's of pine chips taken from my place, made two 4 acres fields and then left two small areas natural. those two areas are so thick with cherry, white oak and maples trees you cannot hardly walk thru them. The birds and other animals did all the work for me in those areas. I would recommend having your place looked at and logged.

20-Jul-16
Big Bear had my land select cutted this spring, in March, they took out all the popple, one cutter, and than the other guy ran the skidster,,,,,,, they did a great job, left no stumps, and only created one road which is not growing over,,,,,,,

my wife thought our cabin would look like the moon, she was surprised, at this moment, you can hardly tell it was even cut......

forest are meant to be cut,,,,,,, all the hardwood and spruce were left, and it looks great, the grouse sure like it, I can tell you that

20-Jul-16
Cool !! Shoot me a private message with info on the guy who did it for you please.........

I don't have a lot of mature hardwood....But there are some young maples in open areas (Which are few)....

05-Aug-16

Finally got my dozer guy in. 3rd area on my shitty land is now prepped for a plot. This one is small too and very sandy. No time for a soil test. We laid 800#s of lime and 150#s of 19/19/19. I planted 2#s each or rape/radishes/turnips. Not expecting much to grow especially since we've had no rain and none in the forecast (Delta County). I will end up broadcasting some winter rye and buck oats at the end of the month as that stuff can grow anywhere. I'll frost seed clover and buckwheat this winter and till it under next Aug to start getting the organic matter.

Worst case, I now have 3 areas worked up that can be improved in future years to help the deer herd.

05-Aug-16

My shitty land had one area with what one could call a "clearing". The first pic, albeit a crappy one, shows a partial before pic. My son and I cleared over 100 trees and then my dozer guy went nuts and took out thousands of tag alders and opened up this area to make it close to 1 acre.

I now have to prep it but have an issue. His heavy machinery really mucked up my one and only trail and now I can't get an ATV to the plot area (or beyond). I am now waiting on him to do some buildups for me. It is going to put me in a pickle but I can improve and seed into early Sept as I will be planting winter rye, red clover, Austrian winter peas, oats, and radishes.

Again, I don't expect much luck this year but the organic matter should help for next year and beyond. If I do get this done, I will have gone from 0 to 4 plots in one year on really crappy cedar swamp. I know none of the neighbors have land improvements and simply use the golden kernel which is the standard in MI, at least the UP.

These improvements have exceeded my Land Stewardship plan. I plan to add some apple and pear trees next year while continuing with soil amendments until I get them right.

05-Aug-16

05-Aug-16

After dozer work.

05-Aug-16

After dozer work.

05-Aug-16

Looking the opposite way. This small connecting area was a bonus my dozer guy took the liberty of opening up.

There is a reason I got this land for the price per acre I did. I had no idea what I was up against. Note to self - never buy land in the winter because it is not representative of what you are getting - and, don't rush into it due to the price because you get what you pay for.

Luckily, there were plenty of deer on the land and they were there all season long with many new ones showing up during the rut.

08-Aug-16
Fence your fruit trees and fence them again, I have changed from concrete mesh to concrete mesh, four 7' t posts and now barbed wire to keep the deer and bears off of them

17-Aug-16
My food plot is a small clearing that has a lot of ferns in it...... Maybe a quarter of an acre....

We tilled it and tested the soil.... The PH was low 2 years ago at 4.7...... I added about 750 pounds of lime over the last 2 years......

My question is,,,,, how do I get the ferns from coming back every year ?? We just went up there and weed whipped the ferns down and then planted rye and clover and then hit the whole plot with "Plot Max" fertilizer.....

I'm sure that at least the rye will grow.......But the ferns will be back next year..... HOW DO I KILL THEM ?? Last year I hit the whole plot with roundup before I started.

I have another similar clearing on my land that I want to put a plot in.... But the ferns are a lot of work to get rid of. I cant get a tractor back in there...... HELP !!

Also..... I'm thinking about putting down some manure next year...... Good idea or bad ??

18-Aug-16
Big Bear How are you mixing your round up it might be on the light side, we use it and mix it on strong side and it burned down everything including ferns. As for manure I don't recommend it. Check with your local grain elevator they'll point you in the right direction.

18-Aug-16
I think I mixed ammonium nitrate with the round up when I used it last year.... But the ferns came back this year.... I didn't use round up this year.... I just weed whipped the ferns down and planted rye and clover and put Plot Max on it.... Maybe next year I'll double the effort on the round up.

18-Aug-16
When I killed out the area I had cleared in the woods this year, I sprayed 6 ounces of Gly per gallon of water and I added Ammonium Sulfate. I did 2 sprayings separated by about a month and got everything I missed with the 1st spraying the 2nd time. I have not had ferns come back - yet. My seeds are growing well.

I believe another option is to get it all killed with a spraying in the spring when growth starts and then plant buckwheat and clover for a spring/summer crop as that helps prevent weed growth according to everything I have learned. I plan to do that with one of new plots next spring. I will till that under in August for green manure and then plant the fall plot. I am doing it for seed suppression, green manure for soil improvement, as well as providing some spring and summer food.

I'm no expert by any means. I've been well read and have asked loads of questions. I've received lots of advice from John Obrien from Grandpa Ray Seeds who is a sponsor here. I now have 4 plots, all created this year, and I have very little weed growth. I made one of them a spring/summer plot with triticale, clover, and peas and that inhibited any weed growth. That plot is the 1st one in this thread with the growth. I have broadcast in some brassicas, rye, and oats for fall and winter.

18-Aug-16
My bad... It was ammonium sulfate... One quarter cup per gallon of water added to the roundup... I read somewhere that it made the roundup more effective.

18-Aug-16
Thanks happy !! I will roundup the plot twice next year... Eventually I'll kill those damn ferns... I spent too much time and effort dealing with them.

19-Aug-16
Happy: good looking hunting land. Your food plots will bring the deer and birds in. Birds love buckwheat.

Bear: I looked for info on killing poison ivy around cabin and found the a mixture of Epson salts, vinegar and dawn dish soap would kill everything it is sprayed on. I havent tried it yet but that mixture may help you out. Just google for info.

I planted my 7 smaller plots Monday. They are smaller, maybe 50' by 50' but close to my hunting blinds. I planted turnip, rape,buckwheat, rye.

19-Aug-16
Thanks !!!!

20-Aug-16

Thanks Jon. It's been a load of hard work making all these from scratch on less than ideal land. It is tough being 3.5hrs from home too. This is year 2 of trying to make some crappy land into something that can benefit lots of wildlife. So far, so good - but my back is not happy with me :).

BB, don't be afraid to go stronger on the Gly. I believe most recommend 3 ounces of Gly per gallon of water but the guy at the local feed store in Esky where I bought 2.5 gallons of Gly told me to use 6 ounces given what I was doing. You are right on the purpose of the AMS and how it interacts with the Gly. I bought 2 gallons of that in liquid form.

I do believe that if you only do a fall plot, you'll get weeds and ferns back the following year and will need to spray it all down before planting again. That is why many people have a spring/summer plot of buckwheat and/or grains (or carryover from fall with winter rye or winter wheat and clover that you leave until fall). That type of plot helps to suppress weed growth.

I was back at camp yesterday and was very surprised to see all the growth that started on the new plot we planted last Saturday. Esky only had a dribble of rain during the week, so we were shocked to see any growth at all. They got some good rain last night and it should rain well today. All of my plots are in dire need of rain. The deer are really eating down what is growing though. I was amazed at what is in the seclusion cage versus on the ground in my plot that was cleared in the woods that has all the stumps. Lots of deer in there on the camera. I really like that idea of the seclusion cages that I learned from QDMA.

22-Aug-16
What is Gly ?? Is that the Roundup ?? I mixed 6 ounces of roundup per gallon of water and added 1/4 cup of powdered Ammonium Sulfate...

If they sell liquid Ammonium Sulfate I will change to that... The powdered form clogged up my hand held 3 gallon sprayer after a little use.....

I don't understand how Ammonium Sulfate makes the Roundup more effective..... The Ammonium Sulfate package says it is used to promote plant growth............. But I guess I don't need to know HOW it makes the Roundup more effective........only that it does.

23-Aug-16
Yes, glyphosate is the chemical in Roundup.

I was talked into the liquid form of AMS due to the powder needing to be dissolved very well to not clog the nozzle. I bought a 2 gallon bottle which will last my life time. One only uses like 2 ounces per 4 gallons of water (I use a 4gallon backpack sprayer). I use it because it was recommended by many on QDMA as well as from Nutritionist and others on this site.

BTW, I bought a generic version of 41% Gly from the feed/seed store in Esky and it worked great and was much cheaper than Roundup.

14-Sep-16
Kind of late for this Big Bear but you can get liquid AMS from Family Farm and probably Tractor Supply. Also both carry glyphosate. I mostly go with 2oz of gly and 1oz of AMS per gallon in my applications.

19-Sep-16
My plots are getting hammered by the deer which are not letting them grow.

Look at the seclusion cage of this 1st pic. I did not expect good growth here due to trying to make it brassicas only when it needed a soil builder and not timing it around a rain. But, there is growth in the seclusion cage (remember, I am a rookie in plotting.) However, the deer are not letting anything else grow.

I will be planting 4 apple trees in this location next year along with clover and buckwheat in the spring to be followed up by the Lickcreek mix for a fall planting.

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

Here is the "hope and prayer" small kill plot in the trail I created where we cleared loads of cedars and tag alders. The deer have eaten all the brassicas before they even ripened. A deer knocked my camera sideways on me.

19-Sep-16

My biggest plot is coming in well and is still too small to feed all the deer and other critters who have found it. Now I know why people use seclusion cages on plots. I would have thought they were not growing well.

The crows also get a lot of seed when you just broadcast it versus tilling it in. Next year, I'll have all the thatch to cover the seed. I don't want to till it due to the sandy nature of the soil. I don't want to lose the organic matter I'm building.

19-Sep-16

It is very common to have 4-5+ deer in here at a time at all hours of the day. Once again, the brassicas and AWP were eaten as the leaves grew. I'm hoping the radish bulbs and turnip bulbs are still growing to give them something to dig up in the winter. The winter rye should keep growing until it gets real cold.

I added more winter rye to all the plots this weekend along with urea.

19-Sep-16

We're finally getting some "OK" bucks to show up. Nothing special but good enough especially for my son and another youth hunter who will be hunting with us this year.

We have a handful of button bucks, spikes, and forks, but few 6s and 8s at this time. Last year, the bucks really didn't show up until the rut and then we had a constant influx of new ones probably due to all the ladies we have. We killed 2 bucks during the rut last year.

I felt all along that any food plots in our terrible cedar swamp would be a differentiator because we know the neighbors all thrive on the UP's Golden Kernel. We appear to have drawn deer from all around us. Unfortunately, my plots are too small to feed them all and I am very limited on areas I can plant as well as the size. Our goal next year is to try to expand our existing plots and maybe find an area to add a 5th one.

Last year, we took the 2 bucks and let all the does live even though my son and I each had antlerless tags and could easily have filled the tags. This year, I believe we need to take a couple of does off the landscape to help close the buck/doe ratio. We each have an antlerless tag this year too and I would love for our other youth hunter to kill a doe too.

20-Sep-16
Nice job Looks good

18-Oct-16

Biggest of my plots getting hammered.
Biggest of my plots getting hammered.
I know food plots are old hat for most of you, but I am really digging seeing the deer use my plots in my inaugural season doing this. It is making all the work and money getting there worth it.

I always thought that plots in my crappy land would be differentiators and when I see 9 deer in one at 3:30pm it makes me know that is true. We didn't have nearly the amount of deer last year that we have this year. We also have more and bigger bucks showing up than last year when we only saw 2 8pts. I am hoping for more during the rut too which is when the 2 8pts showed up last year. Looking forward to making it all bigger and better next year. Now I need my son to kill a couple.

19-Oct-16
Kinda jealous happy im seeing bucks 4 3 8pionts and a missed up 9 pionter ugliest rack ive ever seen but my food plot is small and they destroyed it. But i have seen some really healthy big bodied does. Hoping for another weak winter.

19-Oct-16
Hopefully you get a crack again at that 9pt Btw. All my plots are small and the deer sure hammer them. Look at that last pic above. The stuff in the seclusion cage on the left is tall and full and the rest of the ground is bare. We really need to take a couple of does this year off my land.

20-Oct-16
Happy: You did a good job on your hunting land. Nice to see lots of deer during the day light hours. My plots are getting hit from 9 to 5. That would be 900pm to 500am. Being in between farm lands and the swamp deer have lots to eat before they get to us. Where do you buy your baraccus (sp) seeds?

20-Oct-16

happygolucky's Link
Thanks Jon. The food plots have been very educational and rewarding thus far. Sure wish I owned a dozer!

I buy a lot of my seeds from Grandpa Rays Outdoors. John O'Brien is a sponsor of this site and he goes by the name nutritionist here. He has lots of great mixes that worked well for me. I copied in the link to his site. His Fall Draw and Frosty Delight mixes are what I used in regard to brassicas. I used the Logging Trail Mix and Soil Builder in other areas and got excellent growth other than the deer did not allow stuff to grow well.

I bought other seeds like winter rye, oats, and Austrian winter peas from the coop in Escanaba. My bigger plot is a mix of Fall Draw and those other seeds as well as some extra radish mixed in.

• Sitka Gear