Nocturnal8 23-Apr-16
Zinger 23-Apr-16
Zinger 24-Apr-16
Bwana 2 26-Apr-16
Zinger 26-Apr-16
Zinger 26-Apr-16
GVS 26-Apr-16
12-Apr-16
Only 5 yards. Come on rancid, I expected closer! :)

12-Apr-16
Perfect example of why I have not bothered to waste my time 'hunting' them in probably 8 years now.

12-Apr-16
Big difference in habituated birds (often fed in neighborhoods) vs. wild turkeys, not even remotely the same. You could just as easily post videos of deer in urban/suburban/northwoods cabin situations that are just as tame and "dumb" (or is it smart, getting their eats for free and living in a no-hunt zone)?

12-Apr-16
wish I could run into some dumb birds, I mean, I found them to be a challenge where I hunt,,,,, I admit, last year I missed 2 shots with my recurve, but none were easy for me.....

the quest goes on, I guess I am not a very good hunter, but it is fun

12-Apr-16
Being that they are so dumb and you are such a zen master with all archery gear. Why don't you go for a single season wild turkey Grand Slam with trad gear. I'm sure you would have no problem getting it done fair chase on these "dumb creatures.

12-Apr-16
Naz + 100! BC

12-Apr-16
Naz + 200! RR

13-Apr-16
"Perfect example of why I have not bothered to waste my time 'hunting' them in probably 8 years now."

Jeff, please explain how "hunting" whitetail deer in November is any different?

13-Apr-16
Retro, I don't know how anyone could compare archery turkey hunting with archery deer hunting. Or maybe you meant gun hunting deer. Sure most of us on this site could probably take a doe or small buck pretty easy in late Oct or early Nov. But most of us also self impose limitations of what we choose to shoot in the way of deer. My opinion on turkey is if it isn't a jake it is down and over. The last several times I turkey hunted I was in the woods/field around 10:00AM and home by noon. Just hardly ever paid off when I got out there before sunrise never killed one till after 10. Plus never did like eating turkey.

Now yes even in the wild some areas are tougher to get a turkey. I hunted turkey in Washburn county once and could not get a tom to come anywhere near me. I hunted tribal land in NE Kansas twice, same deal the birds were there but would not come to a call and when they did they just walked right past out of bow range. But southern MN, northern IA, or central WI hunts I have done were all pretty easy. I think MF (formerly NWO) would agree how easy southern MN can be.

How early in the season you go makes a difference too. I think that was part of our problem in Kansas. We went early when it was archery only. I think around 3rd or 4th season in MN is best, probably the same in WI.

Just FYI, Minnesota has over the counter archery only licenses now that are good for all seasons. Also over the counter gun/bow for any of the last 4 seasons. (you cannot buy both licenses) Sorry I had to copy paste the link to that as I did this last paragraph in an update after I posted the rest.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/recreation/hunting/turkey/turkey_app.pdf

13-Apr-16
Like elk hunting, a great part of the allure of hunting wild turkeys in spring is the vocalization and interaction. While bow hunting deer is often a dawn and dusk thing in heavily-hunted farm country, turkeys are on the ground and on the move all day. Ambush, decoy or stalk, all are great fun and challenging. To each their own, but if you know how to clean, marinade (injected or "regular"), spice and cook wild game, you should have no problem loving the taste of wild turkey (unless you're not a fan of "regular" turkey either). Our favorite is hours in the crock pot with cream soups, veggies and rice toward the tail end to soak it all up.

13-Apr-16
i see were picking fights no one can win again...

13-Apr-16
Some things never change around here. No wonder many have left, or stay away for months on end.

It's called "accent" not "camo" …. many folks prefer spices, marinades, etc. for all their meats, wild, farm or store-bought. If you like to eat regular turkey, chicken, pheasant or grouse, no reason not to like wild turkey. Just think of the "gymnastics" needed for venison sausage, jerky, etc. Even cheese mixed in there? Yuck! To each their own, though.

Success rate on killing wild turkeys in spring is less than success rate on bow, crossbow or gun deer! What makes them "easier" for some is if you have a solid population in your hunt area(s), a lot of land to roam and a lot of time to spend, as at least (unlike whitetails) they're on their feet all day. Exciting to hunt in the spring as the woods and fields come alive, and a great time to scout the local deer herd pre-fawn, too.

13-Apr-16
Hard to disagree with you on this one NAZ.

13-Apr-16
I wish more folks would be like Jeff in MN or my friend RC as the emptier the turkey woods....the better my hunt!

Fact is, many folks enjoy chasin them and my hunt plans are often derailed....

Personally, I LOVE the challenge of the turkey hunt as well as my family and friends -

I don't know where you fellas hunt, but they are next to impossible to kill in my neck of the woods and we spend allot of time and trouble planning on doing it.

LOVE turkey hunts and would never NOT think of attending a hunt!

Any day in the woods hunting - is a GREAT day!

13-Apr-16

Naz 's embedded Photo
Naz 's embedded Photo
To me, the fall hunt is not nearly as challenging or exciting (though I've heard differently from a friend who runs turkey dogs - and I still get a kick out of ambushing 'em).

Every year I save my tag(s) for the final day, just for the challenge. When you have fall/winter flocks of 25-50+ and know where they feed and head in the last half-hour before dusk, pretty easy to ambush. Three shots, three tasty youngsters this past Dec. 31. Know a lot of archers who shoot 'em all fall from the tree stand, too.

13-Apr-16
Very Suspicious . Something doesn't add up . Hunting - eyeing them from your house / sleeping in your warm bed . calls ,blinds, shotguns,cameras ,cell phones, compounds, decoys, feeding them . Coming on here at the start of Turkey season and calling them dumb is very lame .

13-Apr-16
NAZ that's picture worthy right there. I like that photo you have.

13-Apr-16
Nocturnal, thanks, that was with my phone. I set 'em on a small foot bridge and got down to creekside tree level to get the right angle!

Bow Tech, ever see a large fall/winter flock? Even with a pump, getting off three shots quickly (had three tags) was not a problem. Have shot multiple birds with one shot, too, lining 'em up (including 5th and 6th period toms). Easy? Turkeys walking together often have their heads within inches of each other. But easy could be said for any game animal under certain conditions (large flocks of ducks and geese coming in or getting up, especially). One night last November there were more than 20 deer on a field. Didn't shoot as I was saving the doe hunting for December, but had I wanted to, could have dropped two baldies with one shot any number of times as they stood broadside side-by-side, heads down, eating clover. And even if I didn't want to risk the two-in-one shot (probably would not in case of wounding), could easily have dropped one and quickly got on target with one or more. Easy pickings.

13-Apr-16
Jeff, I dont think its necessarily the animal, but more the equipment and tactics that makes the hunt challenging or not. Take deer for example. Deer can be extremely easy. Take one end of the spectrum. High powered rifle on heavily managed private land utilizing deer farming so common today. Easy? You bet. Does that mean all whitetail hunting is that easy? Lets change from that scenario to a public land hunt in the north, with a self bow? Still easy? If so, now stay on the ground without treestands. How about no game cameras? Still easy. Try killing a mature buck the first week in October in the big woods with your self bow? You get the picture. Same goes for any animal. You can tip the odds way in your favor, or tip the odds way in the animals favor, or anywhere in between. Try hunting big woods turkeys with a recurve and tell me its to easy. Just sayin.....

13-Apr-16
Its obvious to me Jeff in Mn is the turkey zen master, please tell me how easy it is with your bow. I mean this is a bow hunting site......

you and RC talk about turkeys like they are idiots, you never hunted where I have with a bow.....

again you guys are the turkeys bow zen masters.....

if you are talking about killing them with a gun, do not respond, I mean this is a bow hunting forum

13-Apr-16
Now why would a guy who does not want to hunt turkeys and cannot stand the way they taste bother making home made calls to call them with?

14-Apr-16
Razor, except for the fist couple of years that MN had a turkey season I have been using a bow on them. I even mentioned that the Nebraska hunt was during the early bow only season. Although I did carry my Sig with me for the occasional yote that would walk by past bow range.

Retro, totally agree. We all choose how, when, where we hunt and what size or game species we will shoot to tip the challenge scale so it fits our personal desire, land access, time, and budget.

I am not the king of turkey hunting, I never shot a turkey because I was good at calling or anything like that. In fact I often don't call at all after I get a gobble and just let the decoys pull them in. I just have access to several good bow deer hunting parcels that happen to be even better turkey hunting areas. Even my own 11 acres has turkey on it frequently but I have never actually hunted turkey on it. (others do)

14-Apr-16
The constant bla bla bla about yourself and the put downs of others and now turkey hunting. Is it insecurity? Just do not go and just do not tell us that you will not go, although I think you could garner hunting skill by pursuing them. Your typist skills vastly out shine your hunting skills.

14-Apr-16
For those that say it's so easy. Bowhunt pressured birds on public land with no blind. Toms only, no Jakes. Get back to me and tell me how easy it is. Add to that do it anywhere north of 64 where the population has been pounded by winters and especially predators.

14-Apr-16
Same old bow site. Hunters trying to ruin other hunters fun. Really guys?

14-Apr-16
"Because that guy used to be into turkeys and likes to make hand crafted items."

So when you "used to be into it" it was okay, but now that you are no longer "into it" you need to minimize it and belittle those who do like it with your "sky carp, stinky bird meat and dumb things" comments?

14-Apr-16
I would like to know the details , or the tactics used that make hunting a turkey fair chase an easy hunt. We have one story of ambushing birds that have gathered to feed . Is this the spirit of the hunt ? Unless you yourself are starving to death I can’t figure out why you would want to do this . Individuals claiming an easy kill have likely violated some part of fair chase standards . Hunting up to the minimum standards that the hunting industry and our legislators come up with is not even acceptable for a beginner. Once you gain experience and Knowledge why would you not adjust your hunting tactics to give the bird back the advantage ? Not doing this is clear sign of having no conscience . Publicly bragging about it very alarming . It’s a shameful display of arrogance . Being that the turkey is a grand and noble bird and needs to be treated and hunted with respect a full investigation is needed , I'm going to make a few calls to get one started .

14-Apr-16
Man, this has gotten confusing. It is hard to tell who most of the comments are being directed toward. If it is me the story is simple. I hunted turkey for like 2 years long ago with a gun, switched to bow, hunted them for many years. Never did like eating them but I did. Then it got to where the cleaned turkey would sit in the freezer for years and eventually get tossed. Shooting them had gotten too easy, even with a bow so I lost interest in hunting them, cleaning them, and throwing them out. So I quit. Did not seem practical to handicap myself by hunting them in places with fewer birds, or earlier, or later seasons since the thrill was gone and didn't want to eat what I shot. Two years ago I helped a friend get a turkey, that was way more fun for me than actually hunting them myself was. We were going to do it again this year but our schedules just did not work out.

15-Apr-16
"3 poults with a shotgun over a feed pile" ???

You can't make this stuff up! (But you just did).

Have never shot turkeys over a feed pile. You speaking from experience? Wait, never mind.

15-Apr-16
Hmmm if you take your meds they allow internet access?

15-Apr-16
yeah, no turkey is as challenging as shooting a deer over bait in a no bait zone. Thats the ultimate right there.

20-Apr-16
Urban turkeys are similar to urban deer. Take advantage of no hunting and plenty of food. Semi-tame, and what the antis must think hunting is like.

21-Apr-16
Took a satellite look at the surroundings from the address you recently posted and besides living in an urban area you forgot to mention you're immediately adjacent to a 1,000-plus acre Lapham Peak Unit refuge. It's no wonder the deer and turkeys have no fear of man there.

21-Apr-16
Let's talk about what makes turkeys easier to kill over deer, shall we?

Turkeys: daytime movement only

Deer: mostly night time.

Turkeys are social creatures and rely on sight/sound

Deer are much more complicated, they are mostly social through scent. And have 3 amazing senses. Sight/sound/smell

What makes the two comparable to easier killing?

Well for one, a lack of pressure will up anyone's odds.

But when you put pressure on either or, their behavior changes and they become difficult to kill. And turkeys can be extremely hard to kill. Good turkeys hunters know how to change those tactics to be consistent at killing smart birds. Are they harder than a whitetail? It's easy to understand deer are much more difficult. But....

Ron, calling them easy pickings everywhere you go? Cmon now Ron. I know you have the luxury to hunt private (unpressured) land. But you know they can be extremely difficult and fun to hunt.

I can understand where everyone is coming from.

HunterR: NAZ never looked dumb. Or was ever put in his place. I agree with him. He's defending the people, like myself. Turkeys are not a pest. I'd be happy to watch those birds regularly in my backyard. Even if the crapped everywhere. Some people don't appreciate what others would.

In the end. I'm happy to read others don't find them fun to hunt. Just like Ron said. More birds for you. He's right. And just like when I hear someone tell me they don't like deer hunting, or they just couldn't do it. That's one less gun, one less tree stand, one less vehicle, and one less decoy for me to walk past on public land. :) I love time alone in the woods. I don't want to see you! :) :) :) :)

21-Apr-16
Well what do you know, Ron comes back to bowsite and within a few days Naz coincidentally shows up too stalking almost every post Ron makes, just like old times. Anyway I'm glad you're both back, I always enjoyed watching Ron smack Naz back into his place over and over again while Naz keeps trying to pick and poke at Ron and discredit him. Good stuff. ;-)

21-Apr-16
I have noticed when the hunt turns into just a kill people are usually hunting in too much comfort . Sleeping in their own bed the night before , and hunting a very familiar piece of land over and over close to the home are the two big ones. This is before they even head out to start a hunt . The comfortable kill ?

22-Apr-16
"HunterR: NAZ never looked dumb. Or was ever put in his place. I agree with him. He's defending the people, like myself. Turkeys are not a pest. I'd be happy to watch those birds regularly in my backyard. Even if the crapped everywhere. Some people don't appreciate what others would. "

+1 Nocturnal. I concur on all accounts.

22-Apr-16
You live in an urban/suburban area immediately adjacent to a 1,000-plus-acre no-hunt refuge. What do you expect them to be, wild?

"Look at all the facebook posts of opening day success every Wednesday showing how quick guys are killing the things in mass quantities."

Same could be said for opening day deer tales. Turkey success rates average 20-25 percent most years, roughly 30 percent when you factor in all those who don't give it much of an effort (based on surveys). What's the deer success ratio? If you can't kill a deer with a bow in 100-plus-day season, you likely either have a lousy hunting spot, not a lot of deer knowledge or are not shooting by choice. In fact, in farm country, I'd bet most of us with some well-placed stands and good scouting could arrow a deer the first evening out if we wanted each fall. Are deer really that easy? Try drawing a bow on a wild turkey (not a backyard turkey) sometime but not from a blind. Good luck!

23-Apr-16
I really must be a lousy hunter, because I also have a tough time getting deer........ You guys are amazing, or have some great hunting spots

23-Apr-16
HunterR, well RC isn't supposed to be on here to begin with is he?

23-Apr-16
And deer are harder than a turkey when you say something dumb like you won't shoot another buck unless it's at least 200" like RC did, yet then he poaches a spiker - go figure?

23-Apr-16
"HunterR, well RC isn't supposed to be on here to begin with is he?"

Zinger I really don't keep track of who is or isn't "suppose to be on here." In fact every time you whine the words "he's not even suppose to be here" I can't help but think you should start that sentence with "but mommy" because it makes me think of a 4 year old girl mad that her 6 year old brother has once again come into her room after being told not to and she's calling out to her mommy for help. Are you a 4 year old girl zinger? If not you might want to put on your big girl pants and try to handle your own problems, no one is forcing you to read RC's posts.

23-Apr-16
HunterR have you noticed that this forum is pretty much argument free until RC crawls out from under his rock to either pat himself on the back, hawk one of his gimmicks he sells, or rip on someone? He has a way of dragging everyone down with his posts and his attitude. There is a reason he's been kicked off pretty much every forum he ever was on and I don't think it's the other people on the forum.

No one needs to discredit RC as he does that enough himself.

23-Apr-16
Seems everything is fine until you pop in zinger.

23-Apr-16
Nocturnal, maybe on this thread, although it seems like RC somehow made it go off track already but overall he has a way of making every thread he starts or participates in go down hill fast.

24-Apr-16
RC not at all, I only "dump" on your posts.

26-Apr-16
"HunterR have you noticed that this forum is pretty much argument free until RC crawls out from under his rock to either pat himself on the back, hawk one of his gimmicks he sells, or rip on someone?"

Seems like it is a one sided argument to me. Zinger you don't have to respond or look at his threads if they bother you so much.

Your so called gimmicks are how most products for the industry were started. Do you use any accessories? I like to see new products and wish we had a forum just for that.

26-Apr-16
How am I a rule breaker? Now you're saying that's not my real name?

26-Apr-16
RC and all his alias's coming to his defense LOL!

26-Apr-16
and here is another, just go away

• Sitka Gear