CaptMike 14-Apr-16
happygolucky 14-Apr-16
CaptMike 14-Apr-16
Reggiezpop 14-Apr-16
Jeff in MN 14-Apr-16
Naz 20-Apr-16
Jeff in MN 20-Apr-16
12-Apr-16
I believe that the president of the org moved to Minnesota.

Doesn't surprise me one bit seeing that they sold a false bill of goods, so to speak.

12-Apr-16

Mike F's Link
Here's a little more information on where he is....

12-Apr-16
Many crossbow advocates are closet users.

No need for an organization anyway, crossbows are quickly becoming the accepted norm in bowhunting. We do not have a compound federation and it is mostly former compound shooters who chose the crossbow.

12-Apr-16
They don't NEED and org since they got what they wanted. But please tell me again how it wasn't about money.

12-Apr-16
The word is "defunct"

Defunked is what happens when you wash your underwear.

12-Apr-16
I can't resist. It is "defunct". But no surprise the org is gone.

12-Apr-16
Bowhunters have an orginization and the crossbows still are here so you don't need any org to always get what you want.

12-Apr-16
"Defunked is what happens when you wash your underwear. "

Now that there is funny!

12-Apr-16
Did anyone besides me look at the Wisconsin harvest totals for bows and for crossbows? I think it was like 50/50. Very good move that Wisconsin counted them separately.

12-Apr-16
The way I see it is, the farther you get away from the bow, the farther away you get from bowhunting orgs. and everything that got us here. The clubs in WI will have tougher days ahead. The vast majority of them anyway. The one that is doing well is true to the bow.

12-Apr-16
anyone who shoots a cross bow, that is fully capable of shooting a recurve, long bow, or compound, is a jerk..... guess you know where I stand

12-Apr-16
razor, do you feel the same about anyone who shoots a compound if they could shoot a recurve or shoot a recurve if they could longbow? They're just different tools that all do the same thing.

12-Apr-16
nope,,,, to me shoot what you want, but the cross bow is not a bow,,,,,, it is a gun,,, that simple,,,,,

I do not want to here the whining, the xbow, should be a weapon set for gun and ml seasons.....

that is my opinion,,,,,, does not mean much, but that is what I think....

you think how you like.....

in reality xbows are here to stay, so it is what it is

12-Apr-16
Razor

I agree 110%

12-Apr-16
+1 razor. I thinks so too! But it is my opinion.

12-Apr-16
Spot on as usual Razor.

12-Apr-16
How can it be considered a gun? Other than the stock on it there is nothing else like a gun on it (except for other things that are also used on a compound bow like a trigger. It doesn't have a firing pin, it doesn't use gun powder, it kills by bleeding not shock, it shoots an arrow, etc. I understand that it's not exactly the same as a bow but IMO it's a lot closer to a compound bow than a compound is to a long bow.

12-Apr-16
I usually avoid these discussions but also don't consider the xbow archery equipment. I liken it more to a gun because it is cooked and you pull a trigger to release the stored energy rather than draw with your own strength, hold and release the energy by your draw hand.

Just an opinion.

I tried one once at the classic, never shot one before but hit the X first try. Next guy behind me was told to pick another spot, he must not have heard and robbin hooded the arrow I shot. That told me enough and turned me off from xbows.

That same year I hunted out of a deer camp in WY. Guy had a xbow. He would drive around with it cocked. I asked him how do you unload it. He said I shoot it into a target. The thought of carrying that around, walking in the woods etc also was or is a big turnoff.

Again, personal opinion.

Bill

13-Apr-16
What about grease guns? How about squirt guns? How can these be labeled "guns?"

13-Apr-16
Zinger, Is a Seahorse a Horse?

A few differences: Loaded, locked in drawn position, shot from a steady rest.

13-Apr-16

Jeff in MN's Link
Minnesota Deer Hunters Association Brainerd chapter had come out in favor of crossbow inclusion in the archery season. What a bunch of bozos. The state level of their organization still opposes it.

The story in this link has it right, it is all about the money.

13-Apr-16
It Defunked because the crossbow users are not a motivated group. They look for the easier way! My very able bodied neighbor bought one because he "didn't have to practice so much" Extremely lazy just do enough to get along attitude. The one that really gets me is when I work the hunting shows and the Dad comes up with his kid and tells about his kid getting a deer with a crossbow. All he is doing is condoning the easy way out. I'm sure he was very proud when his kid got a participation trophy also.

13-Apr-16

Naz 's Link
The next big thing …. the air "bow" - wow is this thing accurate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq_QUUmErm4&feature=youtu.be

13-Apr-16
I know it's not a bow, just talking about the name of it and it is legal in at least one state apparently and how long before it's legal in many others? Sorry late to the party, haven't been on here much since last fall.

14-Apr-16
This whole thread is not about bows so we shouldn't be jumping on Naz for bringing up what very well could be the next weapon that could become legal to use during bow season. After all, the projectile is an arrow.

14-Apr-16
Thanks Jeff, and you can bet it'll be legal in more states soon.

14-Apr-16
This just shows how irrelevant the hunting clubs really are. The WBH fought hard to keep xbows out of any general use, including those 55 and over and we ended up with full inclusion. The WCF formed as a false front and really played no role in getting what they wanted. The money won then and will continue to win all the time. The WCF is not required in order for xbows to remain. Xbows are going nowhere.

14-Apr-16
Quite the contrary, the NRA, a firearms group that has morphed to include hunting, was the biggest driver of the crossbow legislation.

14-Apr-16

CaptMike's Link
Just one instance of how sportsmen's groups are effective. This one happened today but there are myriad other examples if anyone wanted to look.

14-Apr-16
I don't consider the NRA to be a local hunting club like WBH and WCF. I consider them to be the money side of it all.

14-Apr-16
I never called them a local hunting club but my guess is they did not become 4.25 million members strong overnight. Without question they are a large money group but that money does come from the membership.

Did they push that agenda for money? Maybe. For certain it was their money that got them the attention of the legislators. Still, as in the link above, there are other sportmens' groups that do accomplish things. If we were to just give up on all of them we'd surely be in a much worse state than we are now.

14-Apr-16
Stopped by my local park today after work and there was a dad and son(age 14ish) shooting their cross guns and being obnoxious. High fives after they hit the bulls eye, talking about how they were going to slaughter them this year. They came over and showed me and said how wicked fast they were. I asked why aren't you using compound bows, and I got a blank stare and a response of " why would we if we can kill with these?" Just makes me shake my head.

14-Apr-16
I have one better than that. The archery club in my home town does not let adults or even handicapped shooters shoot xbows on their range. But they do let kids shoot them during kids events. Great way to introduce 'archery' to the next generation.

20-Apr-16
The Airbow begins shipping this week. Excerpts from a long press release. Thought many would find interesting.

A pneumatic weapon designed, developed, and built in the USA, the Airbow is based on a technology first utillized in a weapon in the 15th century. The projectile is an arrow that, other than the removal of the nock, is no different than that used by traditional bowhunters. And the platform incorporates a stock, just like a rifle or crossbow.

An integrated pressure regulator enables consistent shots up to 450 feet per second (FPS). This equates to 168 foot pounds of energy (FPE), placing the Airbow in the same sub-200 FPE category and sub-100 yard effective range of other archery products.

In contrast to a crossbow that pushes the projectile from the rear, the patent pending arrow rest of the Airbow enables the energy to be transferred to the arrow directly behind the broadhead or field tip. This results in an arrow that is stabilized immediately with none of the wobble or "archer's paradox" that occurs with a crossbow, compound, or recurve bow. The benefit is significantly greater accuracy and less chance of an errant shot or wounded game.

The Airbow presents a number of advantages particularly for crossbow users:

With no cocking rope to lose or tangle, the Airbow is easily operated by an ambidextrous cocking bolt, making it especially safe for tree stand use. Those who can not, or are no longer able to use a crossbow or compound bow because of physical limitations, may find the Airbow particularly beneficial.

The arrow rest of the Airbow is enclosed in a protective shroud and there is no string to endanger the user during the firing operation.

The Airbow can be de-cocked without firing. Users no longer need to worry about firing an expensive arrow or bolt into the ground or potentially damaging the weapon.

While dry firing a crossbow can destroy the weapon, dry firing an Airbow is no more consequential than reducing the shot count.

Professional hunter Jim Shockey showcases the capability of the Pioneer Airbow in this wildly popular video http://bit.ly/pioneerairbow

Shockey said, "Today we have better hunting calibers, better bullets, better loads, better manufacturing, and better hunting optics than 100 years ago. Compound bows largely replaced longbows or recurves in the woods. Crossbows are much different than they were 100 years ago. Innovation. Progress. And each time we've gone through one of these revolutions, there have been improvements in performance and safety; and hunters have ended up with a better tool, an alternative tool."

20-Apr-16
I guess you might blow out the insert if you don't use a really good glue. Not sure how many shots you can get before you have to go to your truck for more air from that dive tank. (probably holds more air than the arrows you carry.) I don't see any other down sides. This is the only thing I can see that will put the brakes on the sale and use of xbows in the future.

I am disappointed that Jim Shockey seems to endorse the concept.

• Sitka Gear