switchback 18-Apr-16
crooked arrow 20-Apr-16
crooked arrow 22-Sep-16
StickFlicker 22-Sep-16
switchback 22-Sep-16
creed 22-Sep-16
AZBUGLER 22-Sep-16
15-Apr-16
Ye ha I drew unit 10 and was hoping there was some one out there that can help with some advise as I've never been in the unit before. I've read that the unit is pretty flat with lots of cedar/juniper type habitat? Would this unit be better to hunt water holes or chase the bugles? What maps would I need, is one area better than another? where should I start my scouting efforts? Just recouping right now from knee replacement surgery but am sure I'll be ready to go come September. Thanks for any help.

15-Apr-16
Crooked:

There's some very large private inholdings and tribal administration land in that unit. There's also a lot of State Trust land and some Federal land. I'd definitely look at trying to gain access to some of the private inholdings. You can find good land ownership maps at different online outlets. You'll definitely need to scout the unit and find where the "rutting pits" are, if you're hunting elk during the breeding season. I can't put enough emphasis on the importance of scouting that unit and also trying to obtain access to private land. Either that, or hire a permitted hunting guide who's going to be operating in that unit during your hunt date.

Maverick

15-Apr-16
Thanks Maverick I'll do that.

15-Apr-16
I would advise getting a permit to hunt the Boquillas Ranch as the majority of 10 is controlled but the ranch. Huntbigboranch.com for further info.

18-Apr-16
Hey Rick, I've hunted 10 three times in the past 10 years. First go to Game and Fish and get a unit 10 map, it's a great map. While there also pick up a copy of the rules for hunting the BIGBO. I was lucky and those rules weren't in place the last time I hunted 10 but from what I understand those rules suck. That said there is PLENTY of good hunting south of the ranch in that unit, you'll have a blast on this hunt! When you get the unit 10 map PM me and we'll hook up and I'll give you some places to start.

20-Apr-16
Thanks Switchback will do.

22-Sep-16
Well we're back from our unit 10 elk hunt and it turned out to be a very disappointing hunt. We scouted and hunted the Big Bo for 10 days and had one day that the elk bugled. Talked with several other groups and they were having same results that we were and were thinking of moving and hunting outside the ranch. on the 14th we moved our camp over near Williams, and hunted until the big rain on the 20th. We heard bugles on one day only and while sitting water my buddy saw a 5pt. and a spike (he killed the spike on our last day). Unit 10 was a real disappointment for us and we might have thought it our lack as hunters except so many other hunters were having the same results. I'm not sure but seems to me there is not the elk in the unit as what game and fish says. Let me know about your unit 10 experience.

22-Sep-16
I don't have anything to contribute regarding your question, but thank you for coming back to the site and letting us know how it went. Too many hunters ask for advise and then never return after the hunt.

22-Sep-16
Dang Rick, real sorry to hear that. Both my early bull hunts in 10 were unreal, action every single day. I can confirm from other folks in other units that it seemed to be a real down year for bugles though. As for elk numbers, can't answer that as it's been a few years since I've been up there. I wonder since the BIGBO is closed much of the year to hunting, did you see or hear a lot of coyotes? I think Don Martin used to hold a coyote shoot up there every year, not sure if that's permitted anymore..?

22-Sep-16
I had the same experience you had in 2007. I will never hunt the unit again. I have had guys tell me that I didn't know what I was doing and that may be true but IMO 10 is over rated. Yes there are some great bulls taken out of there but I will leave them to others to hunt.

22-Sep-16
I think it's a tough unit overall. But this was also a real tough year no matter what unit you were in. Hot weather combined with full moon cycle made it extremely difficult. The great thing about 10 and specifically the Big Bo is that you can glass Bulls up. I hunted it with a friend last year and we saw one herd with over 100 elk in it. Saw multiple other big herds of 10-20. There was absolutely no shortage of elk. I doubt that changed in a year. The reason I wasn't nuts about 10 is the terrain and how difficult it can be to get into bow range. Also, not being able to hunt water on the Bo too.

• Sitka Gear