yelper tom 16-Apr-16
Pete-pec 16-Apr-16
Pete-pec 16-Apr-16
raspy old hen 16-Apr-16
yelper tom 16-Apr-16
RutnStrut 16-Apr-16
Jeff in MN 17-Apr-16
16-Apr-16
I am currently hunting in edge of a field I have a dsd jake a breeder two hens out ...about 15 hens step out at 75 yards away.... They started feeding straight even with me... I decided to purr and click softly to get there attention ! I did this a few more times till I seen them look over . then all of a sudden they act spooked? They turn back as if they want to go back to the woods then they all take of and fly to the pines edging the field.... I don't know what happened... The sun was coming in the blind a bit but I tried staying back all the way! I'm using the double bull blind and am a good caller just a little confused! Anyhow they are now still in the tree yelping softly this might actually help me? Do u think they will come back?

16-Apr-16
Do you speak turkey? Neither do I. I have a feeling your cluck might have sounded like a warning to them versus a lure. If I have birds coming my direction, I don't call to them. I will sometimes repeat in a very very ultra soft tone what one of them might be saying, but only if they seem relaxed. I'm finding with decoys, especially with birds still in their winter flock, that they seem to know all the birds that exist in their locale, and often it seems they don't recognize the decoys as their own. I might be overthinking this, but I have a lot of years under my belt, and there are things you notice over time. Before bloodtrail says it, this isn't always the case, and there are times the birds run right in, but I find decoys to hurt more than they help, and people tend to call when they shouldn't, or they call too often and too loud. I had some tough birds this year so far. They seem to want nothing right now. No decoys, because they are not comingling very well, and they are flocked up strong still, and the matriarch hen is doing all the calling, and the boys are still vying for social status concerning their breeding dominance. So for me, less is more.

16-Apr-16
Will the birds come back? Likely not on your setup today, but you still might get your tom, because it was the hens that didn't like what you had going on, and hopefully the toms are still clueless to your setup. If I was to have anything out for decoys right now, it would be a full strut decoy and nothing more. It seems like the hens hate hens.....selfish bitches!

16-Apr-16
I am having the same thing happening. I have a 69 year old hunter out this week who is recovering from bladder cancer and chemo. He doesn't last too long in the morning and needs a five minute breather after every 50 steps or so. Thursday morning we had a flock of 12 birds drop into the woods. When I called they turned around and headed out and across the road. I did not have permission to follow them onto the other persons property. So for me they are henned up tight and maybe a mid day start would be better when some of the satellite toms start to wonder around. I have been hunting turkeys since the 1980's and every year its just a different tactic that is needed. Yelper, with all of those hens talking a tom should be strolling over to see what is going on. Just wait him out. Good luck.

16-Apr-16
Ok figured it out...I have my go pro on a small stake in front of the decoys....I think the sun was making a glare on it! So I removed it! Since then I called in 10 toms all came in at once with 2 jakes and 3 hens....I missed twice! I then went and got my arrows and got back in the blind ... I called in another Tom with a hen! Had him a 18 yards hung up on my leading hen decoy! I took the head shot with my bullheads and missed!!! I'm just sick!!!

16-Apr-16
Sounds like you have it figured out. Don't feel bad about missing. According to the Bowsite expert on everything. Turkey hunting is easy and no challenge at all. You will have another chance.

17-Apr-16

Jeff in MN's Link
Nix the bullhead. Just put your favorite broadhead on with one of these behind it. Then aim for the vital area. It is like shooting them with a 12ga slug.

Yelpers last post just confirmed how easy it is. They will come back as long as they think there is a hen to be had.

Link does not seem to work, I think it is too long for bowsite. Try this.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/archery/broadheads-points/specialty-broadheads-field-points%7C/pc/104791680/c/104693580/sc/104237280/i/103972680/vista-reg-small-game-adder-point-mdash-per-6/1590689.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fspecialty-broadheads-field-points%2F_%2FN-1100030%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103972680

• Sitka Gear