Jaeger63 17-Apr-16
Jaeger63 19-Apr-16
Sam Niziolek 25-Apr-16
Jaeger63 27-Apr-16
wy buzztail 17-Jul-16
timberline53 02-Jan-17
Buckhorn 07-Feb-17
17-Apr-16
I'm Tony Cleveland from Colorado Springs. I've been building points for Wyoming and I'm seriously considering unit 54 for 2017. I'll have 9 points and should draw a type 9 tag based on my research. I'd like to hear from anyone who has hunted it. I understand its a very rugged unit. Would horses be of great benefit? I don't have any experience with horses so I was considering just hiring a wrangler to go in with me and handle the horses. I don't feel I need a guide as I have several elk under my belt with a bow. How much access to the public land?I'm not sure if I'll be doing this hunt yet with a friend or if I will be doing it solo. Thanks for any info you're willing to share.

17-Apr-16

DIYHuntingMaps's embedded Photo
DIYHuntingMaps's embedded Photo
I have not hunted that unit, but to answer a few questions. There is plenty of public land. Most of it is BLM lands (Yellow), with a little bit of national forest (green) in the western edge. That season starts on Aug. 15th, so hopefully someone else jumps in who has hunted it to help you out on whether you'd be better off hunting down in the sagebrush, or up in the timber. That will drastically change how you approach the hunt.

17-Apr-16
If that entire big chunk of BLM to the southeast side of the unit is like it is along the southern boundary highway that I've driven many time back and forth to Cody it's all antelope and wild horse country. He's probably going to have to go into the green National Forest area to the northwest part of the unit for the most part to get into elk and from what guys that live out there say it has a ton of grizzlies in it. There are only a hand full of elk tags issued to NRs (less than 12)for that unit so there can't be elk spread all over the unit or there would be more total tags issued. However, the 2014 stats show that 30 hunters took 18 bulls for a 60% success rate, but I'd bet a lot were guided in that NF land. I'd be looking at unit 45 or 41 in the Big Horns if it was my PPs. 45 would be iffy to draw, but 41 right next to it is also a very good unit and could be drawn with 9PPs.

17-Apr-16
Thanks Topgun. We have chatted via e-mail already about unit 45 if you remember. I have your contact info. 45 is the other unit I'm certainly considering as well. 45 gives out a lot more tags if I,m not mistaken. I'm trying to research both units as much as possible and make the most informed decision. Thanks much

19-Apr-16
Topgun, From my research it looks like I'll pretty much be guaranteed to draw either unit with 9 points, especially if I put in for the special draw. I've heard some pretty good info about both units. I like the fact that way less tags are given out in 54 but....I also understand that more hunters will probably be concentrated in a smaller area where the elk are. I've got over 8 more months of researching before I have to pick a unit for the 2017 draw. Thanks to all who have posted!

25-Apr-16
The one thing you will run into in 54 will be rifle hunters in September hunting cows. the 54 type 6 opens for rifle, so you will run into rifle hunters.

27-Apr-16
Sam N, Thanks for your post. Yes I have now ruled out unit 54 for that very reason you mentioned. I think the State should reevaluate having an archery season and a rifle season occurring at the same time just from a safety standpoint alone. Archers don't want to wear blaze orange and a .300 win mag can reach a long distance!!! A recipe for something bad to happen if you ask me.

17-Jul-16

wy buzztail's embedded Photo
wy buzztail's embedded Photo
id hunt 54 for antelope, prarie dogs, buzztails, horses, its not great elk country, why aren't you looking at 55 or 56? I tried to help that guy who was hunting 56 last year on here, me and my neighbor both sent tons of emails and cell phone photos of the elk as they moved around the house and fields, never even bothered calling us to say how the hunt went....second time I wasted my time with bowsite hunters but i'll go third time is the charm? I cant offer to take you out every day in 55 or 56 next year, there is no guarantee i'll be alive that far ahead, but ill help what I can. have you ever been in 54? its not what youd call elkcountry, especially compared to 55 .

02-Jan-17

timberline53's embedded Photo
timberline53's embedded Photo
Hey Tony Kris Kropp aka timberline53 writing to you. I live in Paonia so was watching with interest what you decided to do with your elk points in Wyoming. I have seven points so I thought I could draw the archery hunt in 54 until point creep put it out of reach. Considering trying for 41 or 39 in the Bighorns but probably still need a year or two before I can draw. Have a buddy in Virginia who is an elk hunting nut that usually spends a month up in the West Elks hunting bulls here in Colorado. He has 5 points so we have a total of 6 averaged if he decides to apply with me this year---I know you have no idea who we are but would you even consider combining your points with ours so we could all hopefully draw a Type 9 in 39,40, 41, or 45? Paul and I are both farmers and love the Lord and wild mountain places so hopefully our company would be welcome! Paul does have a good mule and a horse for packing so that is a plus. The only small concern is that we are both 59-- still in good shape but are slowing down a little! I have 18 points for elk here in Colorado so I may decide to burn them on unit 10. Was waiting for 201 but running out of years as point creep seems to put the archery tag just out of reach! Let me know what you think about Wyoming--we would certainly be thankful if we could apply and hunt with you. Hopefully this is not too brazen to ask this of you? Here is a pic of my wive's muzzleloader hunt in unit 10 last year. My email is first [email protected] and my cell is 970-234-4642. Thanks for considering this Tony!

07-Feb-17
Tony you draw a unit 10 tag give me a call I can help you 360-7083074

• Sitka Gear