Jeff in MN 20-Apr-16
Braunschweiger 22-Apr-16
razorhead 23-Apr-16
Zinger 23-Apr-16
Jeff in MN 23-Apr-16
Naz 23-Apr-16
19-Apr-16

Braunschweiger's Link
Anybody ever use one something like in link?

I've been thinking of trying one this coming year. I sure seemed to get busted a lot last year.

I worked with a guy ( he since moved on) that swore by mouth sent control. He would either chew that disgusting "Gum o flage" stuff or wear a mask. He would take a week off in prime time and shoot a nice 100"-130"every year,hunting from the ground,with a stick bow, on public land in the Neceeda area. He always said 80% of what a deer smells from you when your on stand is your breath! I am starting to think he might be right.

thoughts??

19-Apr-16
Look one thing I never do is criticize a person for doing something I wouldn't. But you'll never fool a deers nose. It's just that simple. I'd be more interested in hearing your thoughts after you gave it a try. Main thing is paying attention to the wind.

19-Apr-16
RC-

Isn't a Scent Blocker Suit a fart blocker??

If you believe it works for you, great!

19-Apr-16
I agree that mouths send out a lot of scents that deer can smell and alert on. 80% maybe right but I bet it varies a lot from person to person. I used to work with a guy that when I had to talk to him I would use the phone or only talk face to face when he was sitting down in his office and I would stand in the hall. I would say in his case the 20% was from his mouth. It wasn't that he didn't shower, his body chemistry or what he ate was not good to him or others.

I often chew that gum. No clue if it helps or hurts. I wonder how much noise your jaw makes chewing that deer close in could hear.

19-Apr-16
Whatever trips a person's trigger. Company owners (and the employees working for them) love it when you buy into the marketing hype. And, if it gives you an extra second before the gig is up, that might be enough. Wouldn't waste my dollars on ozone machines, charcoal suits, etc., but have used the "scent-blocking" head nets figuring that's where the bulk of the stink comes from since heat is coming out that way. Need camo up there anyway so a few extra bucks "just in case" lol. Do also spend some $ on internal camo (similar to what cancer patients, etc. often use to try to control some of the odors).

19-Apr-16
I'm sure it doesn't hurt but how much it helps could be argued. Noctural says that you'll never fool a deer's nose but I don't believe that is true. The deer's nose is amazing and puts ours to shame and I don't think you can fool it all the time but at certain ties you can fool it some. You may not be able to block all your scent but even a little could be the difference that's needed.

19-Apr-16
Zinger. You will never fool a deers nose. You don't have to believe in the truth. Some will tolerate it and some won't. It comes down to the deer. But one thing is for sure. No mask carbon suit and so on, will stop a deer from smelling you.

19-Apr-16
Gotta use what you have confidence in - just because me, RC, Zinger and Ruger 1022 don't like it - if you like it and YOU believe it works for you - then use it.

Enjoy the hunt and trying new things - it's your hunt and you do it the way YOU enjoy it....

Don't think I would use it because it would screw up my smoking!

Seriously - if ya like....give it a try - ya never know!

Good luck!

19-Apr-16
I'm on Noc's side .

A while back on a Alberta bowhunt for WT,S my partner whacked his Deer and agreed to be my camera man for the next 3 days .

Thursday morning I climb into a stand with the most expensive scent killing outfit money could buy . My partner was in the same tree , 3 feet above me .

The night before we ate smoked fish , stuffed Cabbage , & major quanities of Molson Beer .

I was farting at a rate of 20 per minute . My camera man was choking & gaging . He climbed up a different tree because of the deadly gases that were causing his eyes to water so bad he couldn.t see .

So much for scent blocking suits .

19-Apr-16
Hahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha^^^^^^^^^^^

19-Apr-16
I don't believe for a second (anymore :)) that the Scent Blocker, Scent Away, etc clothes work. They are high quality clothes though. And yes, I bought into the gimmick but am still using the clothes after many years as they've held up well. Charcoal activation requires something like 2000 degrees. No dryer can do that and no clothes can hold up to that either.

I remember being on a double ladder stand once gun hunting and I opened my coffee thermos and was pouring it when a deer came from behind me and stopped right under the stand. Seems that deer was intrigued by coffee.

I always brush my teeth before going out on each hunt. I assume deer are not scared by mint smells.

I agree with Nocturnal that you can't totally be scent free with a deer but I do believe there are things one can do to reduce our footprint and gain valuable seconds as Naz eluded to.

19-Apr-16
Ruger - Stuffed cabbage and major quantities of Molson?!?

You're lucky you didn't just pop and have your buddy puking on you!!!

19-Apr-16
I have always thought that the scent blocker type clothing was all a bunch of BS along with all that spray crap that I would bet a lot of you guys use.

Everyone has there own opinions. The problem is NO ONE can prove exactly what the main odor is a deer smells on you.

It may be your ass, your pits, your hair, the perspiration you broke out on your back when walking in, or maybe it's your breath? It all plays a part in your aroma but I believe if you could teach a deer to talk he could tell you exactly what smell really catches his attention!

I guess I am trying to think outside of the box as does my ex co-worker who had swears up and down by breath smell suppression. As did my father who was a phenomenal late season canine trapper who exclusively wore cheapo, cotton throw away dust masks while leaning over his fox and coyote sets making the set. ( If any of you have worn one of these cheapo cotton masks for any amount of time, you come to realize how crappy your own breath can be!)

I'm looking at it this way.

Your sitting in your stand... its 15 degrees... you can see your breath as you exhale...

What are you seeing? You're seeing thousands of tiny water droplets each with scent in it being conveniently dispersed into the air just as if you stood in your stand and sprayed your "scent killer" spray every 10 seconds or so for as long as you sit there.

Regardless of the temperature, I'm thinking this acute and continuous scent dispersal is happening and it may be the one thing that really gets a deer's attention??

Apparently, everyone else thinks I am nuts! I probably am, but then again who knows. I've never been one to follow the masses!

20-Apr-16
Companies that make scent control suits have been selling these masks for years along with other scent control clothing.

Scent control is a topic that will forever be argued but I say try it and if you believe in it, that is for you.

Scent control IMO works.But it is not total elimination. Starting with stand placement (wind direction). Scrubbing down, feet then all the way to the head. Toenails carry a lot of odor so soaking can help, Ears cleaned with ear drops,etc.

You can kill deer without all of this though but sometimes playing around with things is part of the fun.

A night on the town then hunting is not the way to kill a deer though so decide what is more fun :-)

20-Apr-16
"A night on the town then hunting is not the way to kill a deer though so decide what is more fun :-) "

That might be the best quote I have heard in a long time. Either activity can be more fun than the other, just depends on how your luck and scent control goes.

20-Apr-16
"You can kill deer without all of this though but sometimes playing around with things is part of the fun".

So true Smokey,

And if not, it will go in that "Box of Knowledge" that we all have, but hate to admit!

This application may be two fold...

Maybe after sitting in the stand for a few hours, sucking air in through the carbon filter, it may mean, I will only emit a little puff of black smoke when I have to rip a good one!LOL

PS. ( wife will be PO'd having to wash black streaks out of my "tighty whitey's" now though!)

20-Apr-16
I know a guy who believes in his Scent Lok clothing... his ritual of attempting to reduce his scent, and his handling, of his clothes is second to none,,,,, his diet, and the way he tries to control, his environment, is pretty hard core......

The clothing is expensive, he gets about 5 years out of it,,,,,, it is never bought from a store, but ordered, and comes to him in a sealed package,,,,,,

when he explained to me, how it helps, why it does not work for others, (the way it is handeled), I was impressed......

I could go on and on,,,,, but let me ask you this, this same guy gets nor endorsements, works for no one in the industry, just is hard core....

He has taken, in the span of the last 30 years, 18 bucks, all qualify and most are in P&Y,,,,, he has never hunted with a guide....

he has never hunted anything, but public land, on bucks that are use to heavy heavy pressure,

so I would not just laugh, at what this guy does, he hunts several states, and bust his a..

some of the comments on this site, are pretty smug,,,,,,,

20-Apr-16
I'm not here to bust anyone's balls here.

First and foremost. The single most important thing is scouting.

2nd.. Is your approach to your spot.

3rd.. Understanding wind and thermal.

4th. Time spent in the woods. ( silent )

These 4 ingredients will put you in the game. You could go in the woods with smelly work clothes and still kill a mature whitetail.

As many have mentioned above whatever you want to buy is your choice. I have read and watched the YouTube video that was taken down due to legal issues. When myth busters wanted to see if carbon clothes actually work. They tested 3 guys. And the dog found the guy in the carbon suit first. Every single time. Just before the show was going to air. The scent company said they would sue, and demanded they don't air the show. They had said they did not follow the guide lines.

So myth busters accepted their assistance and the guy was dressed head to toe. And the dog found them first, again.

You can go to whatever extreme you want to go to. Your not crazy at all. I think we give the whitetail more credit than what they should have. If you pay attention to the 4 guidelines listed above. You'll realize you don't need any of those things. Drop gas, pee, eat all the hot sauce you want.

If you want to do all this extra stuff for an extra 2 secs when a deer gets down wind. Than do it.

20-Apr-16
Noc, you bring some really good points. So very true.

#3 is one that a lot (or some) of hunters don't understand or give much thought to. Is it a thermal or an upslope/downslope wind? for instance. Instead try to find that magic pill.

All of what you mention are included in what I call #1 scent control: stand placement.

20-Apr-16
Thermals, grrrr. Back when I hunted the bluffs and valleys in Buffalo County I never knew what to expect for wind when I got to stand. All I could do was get to stand, let go of some fuzz from a milk weed pod and watch where it went. You would be amazed how it floated and circled around sometimes. About half the time after thinking I had picked a good stand for the wind direction I would move to another stand. Then as the sun goes down it all changes every time.

Those are the places where the fancy clothes, scent blocker, gum, and charcoal mask might help. Oh ya and eating nothing but vegies and drinking swamp water for the previous week.

22-Apr-16

Braunschweiger's Link
Here's another link to a fella who talks these thing up. Take a look at his informational video on his book. He has some other interesting stuff on there I thought.

23-Apr-16
Thanks for the link, it is interesting, and you can always learn something from someone.... One thing I have learned on this site, is that you can think outside of the box at times, have some unorthodox methods, or suggestions,,,,,,, you will be quickly dismantled, and told why your methods are stupid and will never work......

I am always trying new ideas and tricks, some work, some do not, nothing is absolute,,,, but it is all fun,,,,,

I am a big user of carbon synergy, I know it works to give me an edge at times, if someone else thinks its stupid, so be it..........

I will say this," if I was carefree, about how I handled my traps, would not be much trapped "....

23-Apr-16
I wear mostly scent lock or the other supposed scent shielding clothing not so much that I believe in the idea but that they make quality clothes and as a bigger guy they make the larger sizes that are hard to find.

And while I agree that the deers nose is amazing it can still be played with somewhat. Imagine if your body gives off 100 molecules of scent (just using a number) and the scent lock suit holds in 20 of them and the charcoal face mask holds back 10 of them. Now there are only 70 of them out there for the deer to smell. That's still a lot and if the wind is wrong odds are they will still smell it but there's less of a chance of it.

23-Apr-16
I wonder if you took an organic filter mask and somehow made it to function (filter) on the exhale instead of the inhale if that would work.

I know the organic filers work, I have been in the hospital after varnishing. I now wear a half face org filter mask and I cannot even smell the varnish or poly with it on.

Treefarm, hint hint.... time to put your thinking cap on.

23-Apr-16
Braun, agreed, a lot of interesting stuff. Not knocking it, but we have guys here who complain about the cost of a license, and this guy spends more than $50 in charcoal breath filters a season. And, that doesn't even help his other "stink" (which he also spends $ on). Again, to each their own.

• Sitka Gear