Zinger 22-Apr-16
stagetek 22-Apr-16
Drop Tine 22-Apr-16
JackPine Acres 22-Apr-16
Bucks_n_Gobblers 25-Apr-16
skookumjt 25-Apr-16
skookumjt 25-Apr-16
21-Apr-16
Warren used to walk up hill both ways to school in knee deep snow. A bag of candy cost a penny! A loaf of bread and a gallon of milk cost a nickel! I thought working men had off weekends normally, and had vacation?

21-Apr-16
I like the 6 season framework as it is. A lot of us hunt private land that has one or more hunters asking for permission to hunt a property. The land owner can keep track of who is hunting when. With a wide open season it could be a free for all. I also like the anticipation of the opening day of my season. Hunter numbers per season can also be controlled.

21-Apr-16
Ron quit your filthy lying. One delegate can not kill a resolution. Only the committee it was assigned to can do that before going to a statewide vote.

21-Apr-16
well if their county, wanted it that way, than they could have it, does not mean, everyone else needs it......

I for one like the season the way it is,,,,,, everyone has equal chances for extra tags,,, lots of room, and you can plan ahead.....

here is one season, and system that works well,,,,,

21-Apr-16
Bull crap, I have been a WCC delegate and sat on the fur and bear committees. I also attended many waterfowl committee meetings advancing my resolution. Never have I witnessed anything but discussion. I'm far from clueless on this! Your bias against the WCC and lies have been called!

After you threw your fit did they ask you to sit down or leave?

As far as the Turkey season. Multiple seasons and tags. What's not to like?

21-Apr-16
As it stands now, the average Joe can hunt 7 days a period and from sunrise to sunset.

Sounds to me you'd have "ample" time to kill a bird!

There is always 80 Gabizillion left over tags as well and your welcome to purchase one of those tags also.

Leave it alone - not broke - don't fix it!

Just how does the "working man" kill a deer in a 9 day gun deer season?

Just saying!

21-Apr-16
Pete-pec... Konk1....Drop Tine....Bloodtrail ..... I agree 100%. Why would the DNR change anything when they have 83 % approval rating !!!! RC ....17 to 5 is not handily. I am a bowhunter.... I don't like it at all and neither do the other bow hunters I know or the ones I talked to at the convention. You wanted this years ago and it got shoot down. Get over it.

21-Apr-16
BT is correct. RC is not. The question has already been assigned to a committee and it will be an agenda item at their meeting this year. The meeting is open the public and anyone, including the sponsor will have an opportunity to comment. After the discussion there are three options: someone can make the motion to advance, someone can make a motion to reject, or it will die for lack of motion. Once there is a motion and a second, the committee will vote and it will pass or fail. It's a very open and simple process. Nobody is going to bully a whole room of a dozen or more delegates into something they don't agree with.

21-Apr-16
I don't buy extra tags so I'd be fine with one tag and one long season.

21-Apr-16
Here we go again. HF43 wanted this years ago, and got shot down badly. It's been revived many times since. Most recently, a state survey of avid turkey hunters found three-fourths like things the way they are now in spring. That's a landslide in the hunting world! Many landowners also like it split, so they can allow multiple hunters safe opportunities.

Potentially putting 6x the pressure on lands where hunters wear full camo head to toe, use incredibly realistic decoys and calls — what could possibly go wrong? Safety concerns aside, hunter "interference" would soar. That's tied directly to the quality of the hunt.

Now, if they want to allow unused tags only the 5th and 6th periods on private land, with permission, I could live with that, since so few guys seem to be afield the later periods anyway. But the first four? No way. Best left as it is. Should be plenty of opportunity in seven days for birds that are on the ground sunrise to sunset (longer than any working day shift).

21-Apr-16
Naz... +1... Good points.

21-Apr-16
X2 NAZ!

21-Apr-16
He didn't get support to have it heard in the state level. He got support to have it heard by the committee. That's how it works.

21-Apr-16
Why are there always some who need to protect us from ourselves? We have in excess of 600,000 deer hunters in the woods on opening morning but turkey hunters are too dumb to be allowed out without big brothers permission slip.

Same for the "hunter interference" worry. How in the world does any other state do it without the leadership of these "I know better than you do" types?

21-Apr-16
Captain, deer and turkey are not at all hunted the same. Deer hunting in my opinion is more like shooting, and less like hunting. Turkey hunting is much different. A group of birds does not simply run over to the next hunter in the field to give them a chance at hunting birds when they are interacting with calling and decoys.

let us compare bow hunting deer and turkey for a minute. Try getting access to the same woods (or field) for bow hunting that you do for turkey hunting. There is a drastic decline in the amount of hunters allowed to hunt private land during archery season. The reason is simple. Hunter conflict. Farmers and private landowners don't want to get in the middle of altercations when someone perhaps muddies up someone else's hunt. That means during archery season, that same landowner limits the amount of hunters that hunt the property (for me, it's just me on 960 acres). That same landowner allows 6 different hunters (possibly 7 with youth hunt) to hunt the same property during turkey season. It's real. it isn't an imaginary event. I know this to be the case for SEVERAL of my hunting buddies who hunt other private parcels.

Gun season, only family is allowed to hunt the farm, and myself during the first three days. It is what it is, and that's how it is for me. I can accept anything he chooses, because it's his land, and it's how he feels, and he's not alone in his thinking.

21-Apr-16
Pete-pec, +1, spot on. You want less access and more frustration as "Turkey Pro Joe" (the landowner's best buddy and biggest b.s.'er) holds out for "Old Limbhanger," while others wait weeks for him to get his sheet together, go to a wide-open season.

Capt., no comparison blaze orange to full camo, blending in to be unseen and lifelike decoys and calling.

Wisconsin often leads the nation in turkey harvest, or is neck-and-neck with Missouri. We have a lot of hunting pressure on public lands, too.

I have to chuckle though when someone asks why can't we move it to a statewide vote when a whopping 15 people at the county level said they favored it. Compare that to thousands returning an annual survey and year after year, 75 to 85 percent in favor of the current setup.

That said, if you really think you need more than one weekend to have an opportunity (even though Facebook is packed with "opening day" turkey success photos each Wednesday) I could see four or five nine-day periods, starting in early April. Then again, if it's not broke ….

21-Apr-16
....don't fix it (I filled in the obvious blank Kevin)

21-Apr-16
I can remember hunting Necedah when they started turkey hunting in Wisconsin. There were too many tags given out. There were hunters calling to hunters. Now you have a quality hunt. You can't get a better system than what you have right now. In some areas you can hunt more than one season.

21-Apr-16
Naz, also no comparison in the number of hunters in the field. And, while I do not complain that it is broke, the one long season would suit me personally.

21-Apr-16
Pete, I can understand why you want it to remain the same. Now you need to understand why I would have it changed. I hunt my own land and have no conflicts or issues with other hunters. Your opinion is valid for your situation, mine is valid for my situation.

21-Apr-16
Hey Captain, as long as we agree we each have a reason we like our idea, and discuss it like grown men, I'm cool. I have been an advocate of giving each landowner a tag that is good for the season, or at least an extended season. so I'd be willing to meet in the middle somewhere, but in 7 days, you can get an opportunity to get a bird.....especially if you use a gun. If there was a bow season that had an extended season, I'd support that as well. I had 7 opportunities at toms under 20 yards, and hosted a guy for 2 of the days, did not hunt four of the days, and was successful on the last at 7:05. Of course I have a decent spot, but that proves if you simply hunt a little bit, you'll get your chances. I really don't think anyone needs 6 weeks to make it happen....besides, there's crappies and bluegill to catch, and morals to hunt, why would anyone want to spend that amount of time to fill a gallon ziplock with turkey breast lol.

21-Apr-16
Pete, I am not actively campaigning to change the season but I would be fine with it if it were to be changed. People were opining and I simply added mine to the mix. As you said, with all the other things to do in spring, shooting a turkey is not high priority for me, although I really liked the hunt for the kids.

21-Apr-16

LTL JimBow 's embedded Photo
LTL JimBow 's embedded Photo
The current system works well . I believe if you open the season the success ratio will go higher . That is not something we need to do given the amount of people that like to hunt WI .

21-Apr-16
My personal feeling is that the resolution to have all county resolutions go statewide is likely to fail at the rules committee meeting because we don't want to have to go through 250 questions at the meetings. Maybe I am wrong.

It will not fail because one person doesn't like it. As I explained earlier the process is pretty simple and very transparent. If a majority of the committee do not feel it has merit, it won't advance. If the writer really feels that the resolution didn't get a fair shake, there is a process to force it to a statewide vote.

Once again you have one person railing about an issue and presenting incorrect information.

21-Apr-16
skookumjt. +1.

21-Apr-16
RC -

Well, I'm not in hiding and just got in a little late trying to kill one of your "field carp" you affectionately reference from time to time.

Next guy calls me a turkey, I'm shaking his hand!

I guess I will answer this based upon the feedback I receive from the general public and try to vote or at least support what I believe the majority of the people in this State are looking for.

I certainly have an opinion, which you have read. Does not mean I'm right (as I reference below - read on).

I am certainly not opposed to have this issue decided or at least voted on at the State level. But I seriously doubt there will be that much support. Not that I matter either way.

Just based upon the feedback we have seen on this particular thread it appears "generally speaking of course" that the masses appear to be happy with the current system.

As our friend skookumjy has pointed out in his post, we certainly cannot go through 250 questions at the meeting. There very well could be bigger fish to fry.

One issue I will take to the Committee is referencing "shooting" hours. I'll start a thread here and see what develops!

I for one have heard zero complaints on the structure of our current turkey season from anyone until now! At least that I can recall RC.

As a side note, I was opposed to the 7 day season.

That being said, I am happy to report I believe it's working. I was wrong and a bunch of good folks were right!

I believe it's a wait and see.

How did I do? :^)

Safe Hunting!

21-Apr-16
The ONLY reason RC started this thread was to stir the pot. He knows this topic files people up. He has started threads just like it in the past.

21-Apr-16
Neverbait,,,,, its obvious you walk on water,,, please come to my house, show me in 2 days how to kill a bird with my stick,,,,,,,,

I have done a lot of turkey hunting, and its taken more than 2 days for me, a lot of years,,,,,,

sometimes I listen to some people on this site, and I just think, some just do not really hunt.....

on the other hand, I just do not care,,,,,

BT good post

21-Apr-16
The current season frame work is perfect the way it is .Leave it alone

21-Apr-16
I wouldn't mind a month long season in the spring compared to the way it is now, one reason being that if the weather is bad or a person gets ill/etc they wouldn't miss their entire season. I doubt it'll ever happen though because I imagine the 7 week thing and extra tags that they have going on now is a huge money maker for the DNR, which is probably all that matters to them. I disagree that a month long season in the spring would cause huge safety issues as following the basics of hunter and gun safety would prevent that, but it's a good scare tactic for those opposed and for those that benefit from the financial gains of the DNR.

21-Apr-16
HunterR -

Ya know I really don't understand when people say "huge money maker for the DNR, which is probably all that matters to them."

What does that mean? Does it mean all the employees are getting a raise? Does it men Kathy Stepp is buying a vacation home on France?"

I don't get it - were is all the BIG profits the WDNR is apparently making when someone makes a statement like that? What is done with all the excessive cash the WDNR supposedly sees from extra turkey tags?

Please explain this to me!

Thank You!

21-Apr-16
"I don't get it - were is all the BIG profits the WDNR is apparently making when someone makes a statement like that? What is done with all the excessive cash the WDNR supposedly sees from extra turkey tags?"

Great question Bloodtrail and I don't get it either. Possibly an audit of the DNR would help answer some of these questions. ;-)

22-Apr-16
He answered you RC.... Give it a rest !!

22-Apr-16
RC first if you have little or no interest in turkey hunting I find it amusing that you are so interested in this debate. After reading all the input here my opinion may have changed slightly as well as the original idea. I am happy for the most part with the current system and enjoy multiple tags and low hunter density. The argument of hunter density and safety is real in my opinion. Yes we have more deer hunters but they are also wearing blaze orange (OR PINK) and usually don't call other hunters in with their calls (some) but not like talking turkey. Land gets pressured(hunted) multiple times now by multiple hunters where if it were lumped into one long season conflicts will take place and hunter satisfaction will fall. Long story short I can see the other point of view in the case of your own land so if it were changed to a private landowner tag for his own property allowing him one turkey for the 6 week season I wouldn't have a problem with that. Please don't change it across the board though.

22-Apr-16
"Leave it alone - not broke - don't fix it!

Just how does the "working man" kill a deer in a 9 day gun deer season?"

My exact thoughts Bloodtrail..

22-Apr-16
Then you are confused about this thread. Its actually about the WCC and the "process" and the guys resolution and how it will most likely get killed in committee rather than being taken to the people for a vote. Really RC.....The process is fine....... If you want to change it why don't you run for delegate of Waukesha county .Ohhh.....Yea I see you would have to be voted in.... Fat chance of that.

22-Apr-16
Another trolled thread meant only to incite as multiple others have pointed out too. The OP has no vested interest in this at all. SOP though...

22-Apr-16
You are right I did not like how it went with crossbows at all. But I know when a blow hard is just stirring the pot !!

22-Apr-16
"Leave it alone - not broke - don't fix it!"

This.

22-Apr-16
Let it go state wide just from the sample base here and everyone I know are for keeping it as is. The anti hunters will be all over this as it will limit hunters to 1 bird in the spring rather than the oppertunity to take multiple birds each spring.

22-Apr-16
17 to 5..... yea thats a good reason to change the turkey season. Drop Tine your right on.

22-Apr-16
"Based only on the words he used and the support he got in his county, would you vote to keep this from being asked at the state wide level?"

I can tell you this much, I'm leaning on not voting to forward based upon commentary not here, but within my own county.

In my travels I speak with a good many folks and I have yet to find someone that doesn't like the season structure as it stands.

The majority of the folks I have spoken with like to take an early season and as time permits perhaps buy one left over tag. Maybe get out a couple two three times once again.

I feel my job is to represent my County constituency and there interests.

People here know that I will debate an issue to the cows come home if I feel strongly about it. But there is a difference, this is not about "me" and all about representing the majority in my County.

The more I think about it however, the more I personally like it (proposal) because everyone one in the family would most likely take a bird.

Good for the family, bad for the population perhaps?

We average one bird a year now....sometimes none. The proposal would up the families odds.

I'll continue my informal polling chit chat and see, but doesn't look to be much support out there Ron.

Kind of of a unique idea however....and I'm not against moving it forward, just doesn't look that good at this point.

I believe based on the number of proposals one would have to pick and choose which moves forward.

Still saying it's a "wait and see"...

That's my "short" answer Ron.

22-Apr-16
Ron - What were the numbers? For/Against - just out of curiosity?

22-Apr-16
17 to 5.... lotta support there...

22-Apr-16
3,000-plus avid turkey hunters surveyed each year …. 75 to 85 percent supporting the current structure each year.

Want the landowner of 40 or more acres to be able to use the tag any time during the spring season? I have no problem with that. However, I believe that landowners who love turkey hunting and have a good population scouted could get the job done with a gun in one day. Bow, also one day … if a good shot and the birds do what they've been doing during scouting! If not, then certainly within the week.

22-Apr-16
Naz... home run!!!

22-Apr-16
RC, no it shouldn't be advanced. Just because a small number of old timers at the hearings voted for it does not mean it should be advanced. Let the whiners whine and let the biologists do what they're paid to do. Do you think those people who want this set up for a bear season would like how they do it in Pennsylvania? No baiting and no dogs, they try to drive them or just sit and hope and have a terrible success rate. SUre everyone gets to hunt but the kill rate is so bad you might as well buy a lottery ticket.

22-Apr-16
I hunt in Shawano Co. and I like it just the way it is. The six week structure does exactly what it's supposed to do. Spreads the pressure out.

22-Apr-16
When it comes down to it. These are just "advisory" resolutions and even if they pass statewide. It doesn't mean they will happen.

22-Apr-16
HunterR +1

25-Apr-16
I will be sellfish on this... If this were to go through it would hurt the guys who get permission to hunt on properties. The property I have hunted for the last 8 years it works great as a lot of the guys have different seasons or plan accordingly. It would be much more difficult for us hunters and farmer to 'coordinate' guys hunting...plus I don't think the farmer would like that either.

25-Apr-16
17 out of 22 votes in one county who may or may not even be turkey hunters doesn't outweigh the statistical significance of the 3000 hunters who are surveyed every year and consistently and overwhelmingly say they like the season just the way it is.

25-Apr-16
RC. We don't need to know Statewide via the WCC. We have plenty of other statewide data based on large numbers of people to use. The vast majority of hunters are very satisfied with the spring season framework we have.

You know the process. We've explained it very well. It works fine. Not every question gets to go to the entire state the following year. It isn't practical to go through hundreds of questions at the spring hearings. The committees are tasked with sorting through the resolutions and advance or reject them.

We all know you don't give one whit about the resolution, you are just looking to stir the pot.

• Sitka Gear