Contributors to this thread:
trumpetman 22-Apr-16
alex20az 22-Apr-16
Ed 23-Apr-16
AZBUGLER 23-Apr-16
trumpetman 24-Apr-16
22-Apr-16
Hi everyone,

My name is Tim, and I am finishing my Master's Degree in Trumpet Performance at ASU this May. I am an avid outdoorsman, and got into bowhunting blacktail back home in Washington, as well as whitetail in the midwest. I also love to fish for salmon and steelhead, back home and in Alaska.

I am now an AZ resident, and since I missed the draw (too expensive when I was a non-resident), am trying to find decent OTC archery hunts, or leftover tags from the draw. Does anyone have any advice on a good OTC hunt? I have never shot a buck or bull, so would love to have the opportunity for a trophy, but for me it's more about getting out in the woods and hopefully being able to bring something home to feed my friends and family. I am interested in pursuing elk, mule deer, and javelina.

Any advice is appreciated, as I have never hunted for any of these species before, and if anyone is looking for a hunting buddy (or someone to carry their gear) let me know!

Thanks,

Tim

22-Apr-16
Tim Trumpetman,

AZGFD.gov has all the info you are looking for. There are OTC tags available for deer and there is elk OTC tags too, but I suggest to look into the areas and your resources and current skill-set before buying OTC elk tags. I think they have OTC javelina tags as well, but not sure on that one. There are other OTC tags available, all info is on the GFD site. Good luck on getting an elk tag in a trophy area, its a long wait. Start applying next draw, it will take a few years. Trophy deer, well...... I don't think anybody is just gonna give up a honey-hole, but you can get the archery tag OTC. Hope it helps! Alex

23-Apr-16
Hi Tim, the deer application deadline isn't until the second Tuesday in June, you can still apply. Most archery deer in AZ is OTC. Units 13a, 13b 12, and 3ac require you draw an archery tag. Alex is right, the OTC elk opportunities are pretty meager. I cant remember if there are fall otc javelina opportunites, used to be all fall javi tags were for youth.

23-Apr-16
Agreed put in for the deer draw (especially 12a). Drawing this tag is your best chance at tagging a buck. Other than that, enjoy the December and January season in the desert. You can be in some good places within a 30 minute drive from the valley, pretty much all directions.

24-Apr-16
Thanks for the info guys! Looking forward to spending some time in the woods this fall, and will definitely put in for the deer draw. If anyone is in the valley and wants to go shoot sometime, let me know! It would be nice to meet some fellow bowhunters!

Tim

• Sitka Gear