Contributors to this thread:
Mad dog 23-Apr-16
drew 27-Apr-16
Mad dog 29-Apr-16
drew 29-Apr-16
Mad dog 30-Apr-16
drew 02-May-16
23-Apr-16
I'm going to start. Just ordered arrows and will make an inexpensive rig until I can.afford a better one. You tube has some workable set ups. Any advice? Mad dog

27-Apr-16
Oh man.... Welcome to a new addiction!!! Bowfishing is a blast.

You are going in the right direction - you don't need to spend a lot of money to get started. Just use or buy an old hunting bow, get some arrows, make a reel and get out there and shoot (at) some fish. You can add things over time if you get into it like a bowfishing reel (muzzy or ams retriever), then a bow, then a boat, then lights, then a generator, etc, etc, etc... Heh, heh - it CAN get expensive but it doesn't have to be.

If you've been watching youtube videos then you've probably already researched and read everything you need to get started. I'm not an expert but have learned a lot over the last few years - let me know if any specific questions.

-Drew

29-Apr-16
Hey Drew. Thanks for the reply....yes, very excited can't wait till the 15th. Do you hit the Ressies? Mad Dog

29-Apr-16
Hi Mad Dog -

I actually live and bowfish in Maine so I can't tell you where to go in NY!

I take an annual trip to NY for deer hunting so that's why I like to read the NY forum. Naturally your topic caught my eye...

-Drew

30-Apr-16
Cool..going to Maine for 2 weeks this august. That's funny...I contacted Maine Hunt/fish regs to ask of I could bowfish for carp. The answer was no! Mad Dog

02-May-16
In Maine you can only bowfish in tidal waters. This severely limits the number of places you can go. I really hate that law.

Shoot me a PM if you want more info. -Drew

• Sitka Gear