AvidSportsman 09-Jun-16
drslyr 09-Jun-16
bigbuckbob 10-Jun-16
23-Apr-16

Dr. Deer's embedded Photo
Dr. Deer's embedded Photo
Who has tried self filming?

24-Apr-16
I've wanted to, but, pointing the camera while preparing for the shot seems like too much movement to me. I keep a hand held camera at ready for those things I want to record, because they are too far to shoot or not a target for me.

I may try some "out of season" photography to gather footage for editing into video.

Isn't blue an easily seen color for deer?

24-Apr-16
What's your setup Dr.Deer (camera & accessories)?

24-Apr-16
Yeah, Bill, it raises the difficulty quite a bit. A lot more deer get by you when you fumble for the "shot" so you can make the real shot. I have used GoPro but that is very wide angle and only good for shooting the hunter. Those bow mounted ones shake at the shot and the shot is the most important thing to capture. Lately I use a Leica VLux camera on video mode with a small bungie-on tripod. That expensive Muddy camera mount and broadcast quality camera was property of Leftfield Productions, back when we were filming a TV show. More often, we had an actual camera man with us, which was problematic because these dudes were not hunters. Only hunters know how to be low scent, low movement, quiet and know when you can get away with movement with deer around.

As for blue, I have no idea. That's what they gave me.

24-Apr-16

drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
heres mine

24-Apr-16

drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo

24-Apr-16

drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo

24-Apr-16
Hunting and self filming Especially bowhunting and self filming is the hardest hunt you can do. You will miss chances, you will curse carrying all the gear needed to film, many days you will ask "why am I doing this crazy obsession. And then it happens. You make the shot and capture it on video. There is no better High.

25-Apr-16
I did my bear hunt but I set the camera at the bait and turned it on when I saw the bear coming in .I have used the lid cam but it takes a little to get that right . Steve

25-Apr-16
drslyr

ah, what are you filming? Looks like you have it pointed at your neighbor's window? :)

I give you guys a lot of credit, I just like sitting there waiting,...all of that gear makes thing so much more complicated and a lot work!

25-Apr-16
Drslyr, what's your set up - camera & accessories?

26-Apr-16
I've been filming my hunts for years, it's not easy at all. I usually only get good footage of deer I pass on and other critters. The last thing I think of when I see something I know I'm going to try to shoot is turning on the camera.

I just use a regular digital camera on a small flexible tripod wrapped around a branch or whatever. No fancy rigs like you guys have. I have gotten some pretty good footage over the years though.

26-Apr-16
Cannon HFG20, verizoom remote controller, azden shotgun mic, muddy tree arm. If you go to ma.forum and look up zany fl pig hunt it will link to my vimeo videos and you can see what iv'e filmed. The setup in the pics was about 2000 bucks new with the camera being about 1500 of the cost. That cam can be bought now on the cannon refurbished site for about 6 or 700 bucks. Been self filming about 3 yrs now. I'm hooked, the cam goes on every hunt. I'm getting worse. Now iv'e got a go pro silver with remote controller for a second angle cam shot. I got some footage of a hen at 12 yds. from the blind on mon. opening day of ma.turkey. I put the go pro on a stake right in the middle of the decoy setup. No birds were harmed in the filming of that hunt. JUST WAIT TILL NEXT TIME.

29-Apr-16
Didn't have a pic with the new "Lightning tree arm" I've been using. It has a 57" in reach

30-Apr-16
Can we see it ? LOL

30-Apr-16
Yeah pat show the video

01-May-16
That's a nice bird Pat, too bad on the miss, but it makes the successes feel that much better,.....can't get them all.

01-May-16
Pat, That's a really great photo.

It reminds me of the time I was stalking through an old orchard on the grounds where I work. I was peeking over a stone wall as a big Tom was strutting back and forth, no more than thirty yards away. I could see him flutter and hear him cluck. In my desire to share a sight such as this with my family, I bought a Nikon SLR and eventually started getting interesting photos to accompany my stories.

07-May-16

Zack's Link
I started filming friends hunts and they mine some 20 years ago. but just started self filming last 4 years or so. My first successful self filmed hunt Sep 17, 2013 it is in the link above

07-May-16
My second successful self filmed hunt was also a opening day hunt, one year later. I have since purchased a fluid head for my camera arm and would like to get better camera at some point. video Link below

07-May-16

Zack's Link

07-May-16

nehunter's Link
I had my PlotWatcher in the field where I killed a Turkey this morning. I wish it came out better, the Turkeys were hidden just over the rise. I didn't attempt to use it this way, just happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaySgy5JmOU

09-Jun-16
I have just started to seriously self-film this year. My second year hunting, got 3 deer with the bow, and all on film. You can see one of my hunts on youtube, my channel name is The Avid Sportsmen. Have you had any luck this year?

09-Jun-16
Check out this big black bear we filmed a couple days ago in west springfield ma. We drove up on 2 bears walking down the street. we startled this one and he fell off the rd. 6ft. down into the streambed.https://vimeo.com/169426168

10-Jun-16
Big Fatty!

• Sitka Gear