Rut Nut 02-May-16
Jethro 18-Jun-16
Jethro 18-Jun-16
Spider1 20-Jun-16
Rut Nut 22-Jun-16
Bob McArthur 31-Jul-16
25-Apr-16

Rut Nut's Link
Don't know if you have heard, but there is a large brush fire burning near the Monroe/Pike border in the Delaware S. F. They just closed a portion of it yesterday to all activity until further notice. This could impact some turkey hunters.

See link for more info.

25-Apr-16
The only good to this is that it will make for some good deer hunting in that burn come this fall.. Shhhh!!! Don't tell anyone!!! :)

Ed

25-Apr-16

Rut Nut's Link
And what makes it worse is it was apparently deliberately set! :(

25-Apr-16
Yeah, just hope they can get it under control before more property is lost Ed! :(

I saw the smoke from this fire 30 miles into NY coming home from work on Wed. Originally, I thought it was much closer to Milford. Then as I got closer, I realized it was further West.

25-Apr-16
I just read the link you posted Nut.. I didn't know it was that big.. I was thinking it was only a few hundred acres. Over 5K acres wow.

Anyone got a link to a map on the fires???

Ed

25-Apr-16
Yep, I had no idea it was that big til I saw the story. Let's pray the rain helps tomorrow!

This is the first day you can actually smell the smoke in the air here. We must be a good 20 miles east as the crow flies.

25-Apr-16

Rut Nut's Link
Just saw it on our local Channel 13 news and WNEP. They say it's over 7500 acres now and is the largest fire in state history.(not a record anyone wants to see! :(

They showed a map of the fire on channel 13 covereage. It's at the Pickerel Inn on rte 402- apparenty they are keeping the local residents updated on the movement and containment of the fire.

26-Apr-16
This fire is huge. It started on Wednesday, saw it as I was heading past Skytop to Promised Land. Thursday morning I headed out to work and it looked like we were in a fog. The smoke lingered in the low areas for 2 days until the winds shifted and sent the smoke and fire in another direction. Last I heard it is 1/3 contained. 8,000 acres burned. 11 strutures including 4 homes. And it's heading for a community with over 1,000 homes. I haven't heard anything lately so I don't know if this little sprinkle of rain helped. I hope so.

26-Apr-16

Rut Nut's Link
Well, it sounds like they are NOT very optimistic that this rain will help. I hope they are wrong!

Apparently they brought in a Hot Shot crew from New Mexico now. That's an indication how bad it is.

If you click on this link and then click on the pictures, there is a map of area with the fire marked on it.

Hopefully they can keep the fire away from the nearby houses.

Man, you don't expect this kind of thing in NEPA! :(

26-Apr-16
according to that map it is heading right for Otter Lake on the southern edge of the fire. Lots of homes and cottages there.

26-Apr-16
Well, let's pray with the additional resources they can cut a firebreak and/or dump enough water and flame retardant to protect the homes!

I checked the radar and it looked like a line of heavier showers were moving through that area- hopefully that helps too!

26-Apr-16

Rut Nut's Link

26-Apr-16

Rut Nut's Link
Here is a link with some video

27-Apr-16
the rain didn't do much. It's 40% contained as of this morning.

27-Apr-16
I hear they are going to have a public meeting at ES North HS in Bushkill tonight.

27-Apr-16

Rut Nut's Link
Sounds like they are starting to get a handle on things

27-Apr-16
still have a long way to go. pray for rain.

27-Apr-16
Was up at my Cabin over the weekend. The State had a Incident command center in the big Parking lot @ 402 & Bushkill rd. By Sunday everything west of Rt. 402 was blocked off. Smoke was very heavy over 402.

Heard about the meeting yesterday and was thinking of coming up. But it will be reported later tonight or tomorrow. Hopefully it won't make it that far Northeast but I did check that my Cabin Insurance was Paid!

As Spider said Pray for Rain.

28-Apr-16

Rut Nut's Link
My wife was at E.Stroudsburg North last night for my daughter's swim practice. She said there were a LOT of people at the meeting.

Sounds like things are much better- up to 80% contained now. With the rain forecast for tomorrow and then again early next week, things should keep getting better.

Here's the recap from the meeting.

28-Apr-16
Perry, thanks for the link.

02-May-16
it's pretty much out. This rainy couple of days really helped not to mention the hard work by many of the volunteer fire companies in the area.

over 8,000 acres and 11 structures incuding 4 houses.

02-May-16
Yeah, could have been a LOT worse!

I'm gonna try to get over there soon to see what it looks like now.

18-Jun-16

Jethro's embedded Photo
Jethro's embedded Photo
Was in the SF yesterday close to where the fire started. You wouldn't know the fire was only 2 months ago. Lot of green. Most every mature tree survived. Some scorch on the bottom branches of mature evergreens. Bunch of deer, lot of rabbits. Tracks from turkey, bear, bobcat, and coyote.

18-Jun-16

Jethro's embedded Photo
Jethro's embedded Photo
This area was logged not that long ago. The undergrowth was super thick new growth saplings. Those were burned but not all of them died. Many oak saplings were alive. Deer were out feeding in the burn.

20-Jun-16
yep, nature has a way of surviving.

22-Jun-16
Thanks for the update! Haven;t been able to get over that way yet. Glad to hear there wasn;t much permanent damage!

Saw on the front page of today's paper that the REWARD for info is up to $15,000!

31-Jul-16

Bob McArthur's Link
http://www.poconorecord.com/news/20160730/forests-bouncing-back-after-two-spring-fires

• Sitka Gear