moch 28-Apr-16
elkcrzy1 29-Apr-16
moch 29-Apr-16
ELKMAN 18-May-16
moch 18-May-16
NoWiser 18-May-16
moch 18-May-16
25-Apr-16
So My wife Drew the Unit 1 black powder early elk hunt in Unit one. Other than trips to big lake and just passing through I do not have any experience here but know this is a great unit and great hunt. I am thinking of starting my scouting on Escudilla Mtn. any advice would be appreciated. going to order maps and hope to make at least 3 trips out prior to the hunt

25-Apr-16
Hire a guide, she will never get this tag again.

25-Apr-16
I would love to hire you Steve. Just bought a house so I have two house payments right now so not in the cards at this time. I know you know this country well and you would be my first choice. lets see if my situation changes before long. thanks.

25-Apr-16
Moch,

It really is a great unit. I tend to hang out around the big lake areas as well. Lots of huntable areas. Seen bulls so big they looked like cartoons. If you cant swing a guide I suggest making time to scout as much as possible. Have more than 1 area in your head as your area to hunt. Then scout again and again and again. When hunting season rolls around, and if you have the time, get there like a week early. Camera hunt for a few days prior to opening day and hopefully your wife will have that bull in range as a result of all your hard work.

Consider this though......whats it gonna cost to do all that scouting? Whats a guide cost?

FYI...I cant afford a guide either, for any hunt (single dad), thats just one great tag to have. best of luck to you and your wife.

26-Apr-16
Thanks, I live close enough (Albuquerque) that I can make weekend trips so I will do some scouting and hopefully locate some shooters. she has some 320's under her hat already so we are shooting for 350 or better and I think this is the place to do it. We actually lived in Springerville for a couple of years but it was all work and no play, so I may try reconnect with a few people I met while there. thanks again

28-Apr-16
Wow, get this, not only does my wife have the unit 1 AZ black Powder tag but we both also drew Unit 16D, NM Elk first rifle hunt. we are definitely blessed this year. it been a long wait. this I have taken many elk out of this unit.

28-Apr-16
Wow! Now that's crazy. Sounds like a busy Fall!

28-Apr-16
yes it will take my entire year of vacation but worth it.

29-Apr-16
I hunted it last year archery and had a blast ! I was given lots of great advice from a couple people and I would pay it forward and help you with what I know if youd like to go over some maps together.

29-Apr-16
Thanks elkcrzy1, any and everything helps. I know some of the major mountains as far as location. send me a PM.

18-May-16
She won't need a guide! LOL! These outfitters guiding in those type of units are running the biggest shakedown in the history of hunting! A blind one legged grandmother could have a great hunt, and kill a great bull on that tag! LMAO! Just get your maps, do your research and have fun!

18-May-16
Thanks everyone for the information. can not wait to make our first trip out to scout. Yea we have received like 13 brochures from outfitters already.

18-May-16
I think the hunt will mean a lot more if it's you and your wife teaming up together to hunt, and shoot, a great bull rather then following a guide around until he tells you which bull to shoot.

You two have some awesome tags! Congrats and enjoy your fall. No doubt it will be one to remember!!

18-May-16
My wife is the one with the tag, she drew with 6 points. I am sitting at 16 points for next year. Maybe 23N archery?????

• Sitka Gear