PB in WI 28-Apr-16
Naz 28-Apr-16
glunker 28-Apr-16
Mike F 28-Apr-16
wacem 28-Apr-16
rick allison 28-Apr-16
Naz 28-Apr-16
27-Apr-16
Does this county not have the wolf problem that the northern half of the state is dealing with? My land is in Juneau County and I get wolves on my cameras every season. Seems odd that Waupaca has a deer problem when a ton of counties can't barely find deer sign.

27-Apr-16
There aren't that many deer in Waupaca!!! There are some "Pockets" of deer on Large private tracks but most places do not have the deer it is being reported. DNR said 80/sq. mile which is a crock. Not really a wolf problem, I've only ever seen one.

27-Apr-16
There is a known pack of at least 6 East of Clintonville. My neighbor has seen some and I have seen tracks. I have NOT gotten any pictures on my game cameras.

There are also reports of wolves n Marathon county also.

As far as a wolf problem like the northern half of the state. No, not yet.

28-Apr-16
Lead poisoning, not likely.

Call it like it really is, landowners and hunters took it into their own hands to control the population.

There is more than one way to control the population....

28-Apr-16
I have land in the northern part of the county. I know there are a few wolves around but we have not seen any or have any on camera. We are not seeing the deer we use to see but don't have any evidence that it is wolves. Earn-a-buck was far more effective at wiping out the deer than wolves would be. Human predators are more greedy.

28-Apr-16
80/square is only a 2-3 deer per 40 acres of deer range (good winter habitat) if the county is only 1/3 to 1/2 range (a lot of open fields, lakes, urban areas, etc.) A lot easier to believe when you figure it that way. Agree that there are always hot spots and cool spots.

28-Apr-16
PB, EAB is a management tool that is constantly misunderstood. We know it is effective and if deer managers over use it it is their fault not the tool. We don't blame guns for crime at least not if we are rational.

Mike, I think the only way the DNR uses deer per sq mi is in relation to deer habitat. If they did not some areas could be overpopulated with 1deer per sq mi. Also they would have no way of comparing deer densities in different units unless the units had the same amount of habitat per sq mi.

28-Apr-16
Glunker-

Yes that is correct, and remember deer are very mobile to say the least.

28-Apr-16
NAZ; My math a sq. mile is 640 acres so that figures out to 5 deer per sq of habitat. Correct me if I am wrong, but I agree with the premise.

28-Apr-16
Last friday I drove up to Shawno via Stevens Point. From Point on, there were road kill deer seemingly everywhere.

I'm in Sauk county and haven't seen that since long before our CWD slaughter.

28-Apr-16
You are correct if you mean five deer per 40 of deer range if the number was indeed habitat. He had said 80 per square mile so I thought he meant overall.

• Sitka Gear