notme 02-May-16
Buckiller 02-May-16
Bloodtrail 02-May-16
Langbow 02-May-16
bigbuckbob 03-May-16
notme 03-May-16
GF 11-May-16
28-Apr-16
I was watching Cox TV channel 16 last night and they had a guy showing a slide show about bears, I think it was Granby. He stated that they are finding out that bears are taking up to 30% of the fawns in some areas of western ct.!!if that's true we'll be out of deer in a few more years?

28-Apr-16

nehunter's Link
I saw 3 of the Doe's (#32, #34 and ?)that were in the study yesterday while Turkey hunting. They all had ear tags and GPS collars around their necks.

No Fawns with them. Saw 2 Bears while hunting in 2 days too.

28-Apr-16
They are definitely a problem with fawn mortality. Bobcats take more. And yet we still have plenty of guys killing multiple does every year. Things that you go hmmmmm.

29-Apr-16
The CT Wildlife Publication has provided some updates on their fawn studies from the past few years. Although the fawn capture pool is relatively small and limits its statistical validity, I'm glad to see there is some effort into monitoring our deer herd.

http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/wildlife/pdf_files/outreach/connecticut_wildlife_magazine/cwma15.pdf

http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/wildlife/pdf_files/outreach/connecticut_wildlife_magazine/cwma11.pdf#page=3

Can you imagine having that Biologist's job? What a dream!

29-Apr-16
Summary Report

http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/wildlife/pdf_files/outreach/connecticut_wildlife_magazine/cwnd15.pdf#page=10

01-May-16

tompolaris's embedded Photo
tompolaris's embedded Photo
2nd time in 5 days

02-May-16
Don't feed them, even by accident!! There's a bill at the state level trying to make it illegal and punishable by a hefty fine if they catch a bear eating at your bird feeder!! It won't matter if you show them the bag that says "BIRD FOOD".

02-May-16
unjust game laws empowering an un-natural balance in nature. Civil disobedience is warranted. When I was a kid i grew up on a HUGE farm that didn't have square for small game but you would see 10 Hawks sitting in the trees on the wood line. The unjust game laws had created an imbalance in nature.

Is it unjust yo defy an unjust law?

02-May-16
SSS just saying

02-May-16
I would work to change the law, just like many have been working to change the game regulations for the number of deer allowed to be harvested or the tagging process. Working outside the law only adds to the confusion in my opinion.

Too many bears? Push for an open season, don't just shoot away. Too many Coyotes? Same. Getting a fine for feeding birds = stupid law, but then again we're dealing with politicians, so,.........

02-May-16
So instead of admitting there's a bear problem the state is saying its Joe blows fault for having a bird feeder.? Sounds about right...but if the bears are an import from another state will Malloy get another humanitarian award?

02-May-16
Illegal bears crossing the border of MA into CT and we offer them EBT cards and protection from the prosecution and termination of hunters. The problem is contagious across the spectrum.

02-May-16
Just another reason for Malloy to install tolls in the woods at the border for these transient bears....

02-May-16
Let's build a WALL it will be HUGE...to keep the Bears out. I think if everyone reported bears as often as they see them and even when they don't maybe we could get a chance to shoot a few. Kill some bears, kill some bobcats and get more fawns that survive. Would love to se the zones I hunt get enough deer I could hunt Sunday's. Really bummed still can't hunt Sunday's where I live.

03-May-16
Let's start reporting bears that we don't see!

We all know that "science" has substantiated that for every deer we see there are at least 2 others we didn't see, so the same is true for bears, right?

I think I didn't see 5 bears in the 14 mile ride to work this morning, anyone else not see any to report??

03-May-16
I saw 6 a couple of nights ago

11-May-16
As bad an idea as the Sunday hunting ban is, wishing for enough deer to force the issue is even worse. The land just can't stand it...

As many trail cams as are out there, it would make good sense to send the DEEP as many time-stamped and geotagged pics as possible so that they can start to put together some solid info on population density and age structure. Think about it... Their biggest challenge is data collection, and the hunters in this state have practically every square inch under 24/7/365 photo surveillance. Give them good data and they can make the case.

JMO, a bear season is going to have to happen, because it's not like they're going to hit up Planned Parenthood once things start feeling crowded... And even PETA types usually recognize that a bear is a bigger threat than a few deer. All it's going to take is one high-profile incident, like when a coyote snagged one of Kathie-Lee's lap-dogs off of Giffords' porch, and even Malloy will cave in to the pressure... Guys like him don't pay much attention to who/where the pressure is coming from - only how much of it might affect their chances next time at the ballot-box.

• Sitka Gear