RutnStrut 29-Apr-16
Zinger 10-May-16
dc-archer 13-May-16
MuskyBuck 03-Jun-16
Zonks32 07-Jun-16
28-Apr-16

dc-archer's embedded Photo
dc-archer's embedded Photo
I came across this while walking through my land in SW WI. I have never seen anything like this before. I thought it might be a racoon or some other critter trying to get to bugs. The tree was dug out to a good 6 inch depth at the bottom. Someone told me it was probably a woodpecker that did it. Either that or sasquatch ;-)

28-Apr-16
Woodpeckers or a Pileated woodpecker would have no problem doing this, especially if the tree is dead.

28-Apr-16
That is definitely a bird looking for insects or larvae. Could be any number of species.

28-Apr-16

Pete-pec's Link
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvideo/viral-video/11614695/Watch-Woodpecker-caught-drilling-through-an-entire-tree.html

Pileated woodpecker for sure. I've watched them tear into dead elms in the past, and they leave the exact same pile of shavings.

28-Apr-16
It might be excavating a hole for a nest?

29-Apr-16
Yes they can. I do property maintenance. You should see what they do to some of the houses.

10-May-16
https://www.facebook.com/grasshopper4313/videos/10152322726957254/

I hope this link works, it shows a woodpecker doing exactly what the OP shows.

13-May-16
Dang that is one motivated bird!

03-Jun-16

MuskyBuck's embedded Photo
MuskyBuck's embedded Photo
Found this scouting in April. A pileated woodpecker sure is doing a number on this cedar.

07-Jun-16
You should see what those little b@st@rds did to the cedar on my house the year after I bought it.

Two of them made dozens of holes in just a couple of days. After that, it was an easy decision. Hardie Plank.

I'd much prefer to have kept natural wood on my home, but there's too many peckers in my neighborhood.

• Sitka Gear