happygolucky 10-May-16
WausauDug 10-May-16
RJN 10-May-16
Mike F 10-May-16
Redclub 10-May-16
Stinky Jim 10-May-16
RJN 14-May-16
09-May-16
Whats everyone planting? We are planning on planting corn memorial day weekend and beans two weeks later. Anyone plant peas?

09-May-16
I'll be planting the normal PTT and DER. We also started an orchard on our property, but nothing will come from that for several years.

09-May-16
The pear and plum trees are in full bloom, apple trees are not far behind. The honey bees are arriving on Saturday and will be moved into their new home the same day.

The clover looks really good. The corn and beans will go in the ground in 2 weeks. The fall plot mix will get planted late July or early August - radishes, winter peas, oats, and winter wheat.

09-May-16

RJN's embedded Photo
RJN's embedded Photo
I just broad cast turnips/ radishes in the beans when the leaves turn yellow. I'm going with all radishes this yr as the deer loved them and they grew huge. I also planted some chestnut crabapple trees last yr that are growing very fast.

10-May-16

happygolucky's Link
I did a spring planting of the Soil Builder Mix from the link which is owned by nutritionist on this site.

I did a spring planting to help build the soil on this brand new plot. I also broadcast in some Alsike clover and Balsana clover. I will broadcast in some of the Fall Draw blend in August. If the Soil Builder mix does grow well on this site and the deer hammer it (it is not large), I will broadcast in more of it in the fall.

I am working on 2-3 other plots which will be fall plots. Not totally sure on the seed yet for them. I believe one will be Winter Rye and Austrian Winter Peas for soil building purposes.

10-May-16
anyone broadcast their beans before? i've been told to try this since its for the criiters and to nitrogen fix. the guy said 2 bags / acre?

10-May-16
We used to broadcast our beans. It works good but we always lightly ran the disc over them to get some coverage. Just an acre would be ok, its just more work and more seed.

10-May-16
Yes, 60 to 75 lbs an acre. Lightly disk/drag so they are 1-2 inches deep and cultipack.

10-May-16
Sure I broadcast soybeans and corn just run a rake over them. I didn't hear from Pheasants forever about when our seed will arrive

10-May-16
Already planted some soybeans. I like them as they are RoundUp ready for weed control and they're a good hunting plot.

In August I'm trying some Whitetail Institute winter peas mixed with Buck Forage Oats. A buddy of mine has had good luck with them the last 2 years.

14-May-16
We usually plant beans now but waiting to plant until mid June will keep the tops green into October when all the farmers beans are being harvested. Thinking about trying peas also to cut back on the roundup.

• Sitka Gear