razorhead 13-May-16
MuskyBuck 26-May-16
razorhead 26-May-16
smokey 26-May-16
MuskyBuck 01-Jun-16
razorhead 01-Jun-16
12-May-16

Jeff in MN's Link
The first national forest bids have been awarded under the partnership where state foresters do the work to market more timber than the national forest staff could do in their own. See the link.

Over time this will provide a lot more browse to help the deer herd.

In case the link does not work you can copy paste this.

http://www.apg-wi.com/sawyer_county_record/first-national-forest-timber-cut-under-new-agreement/article_1a734f2a-17a4-11e6-84b2-cb9c9d2de712.html

12-May-16
A real good thing. I have been seeing a lot of paint on trees all over the District lately.

The only problem I have is that I can't seem to get maps of the sales. All timber information is out of the Glidden Office for this District. So Hayward is not easily handling the information. Not a big deal but seems kind of odd since it is the Hayward DNR office employees that are doing the work.

12-May-16
Outstanding news!!! I don't even care if they cut off my favorite stand sites......just cut!!!!

13-May-16
According to an update I got today they have already got some sales started within the last week or so. I haven't looked at these sales, but in the past all CNNF sales were listed on tge USFS website and the maps should be there.

13-May-16
Very near impossible to find the maps on the website. I see some with little detail that I get from maps at the District office. Provide a link in case I am not seeing it.

I have mentioned to the PIO that the website needs improvement. He agreed but nothing has changed.

13-May-16
The timber sale maos will have almost no details. Just the sale boundaries, stand descriptions, existing roads, proposed roads, and estimated harvest volumes, but at least they would tell you the locations.

13-May-16
I was going to stop at the local office to check on anticipated harvest dates on a couple of marked parcels. They are 'danger close' to one of my bear baits and I would hate to see them harvested in August or September. Sounds like they wouldn't know.

13-May-16
They wouldn't. The contractor that wins the sale usually has two years to complete it.

13-May-16
The maps I get at the office have more details, roads, boundaries, special restrictions,etc. Sometimes I have even received maps on copies of aerial photos. That is what I have used in the past but it is hard to get them now. The Hayward office does not have any Timber employees at this time, they are all out of the Glidden office. But the Hayward DNR office is the people working on some of the sales, all of the sales under the GNA. But I find it interesting that no maps or information is available out of the Hayward USFS office.

13-May-16
I bet the contract between the DNR and USFS does not allow for the DNR foresters to deal with the public.

Skookumjt, that forest crop open parcel we discussed, well it got converted to forest crop closed. I guess deer started to bed down in the FC open land when a parcel across the road got logged and started to get browsed by deer. The guy couldn't stand to see people hunting in his then open land so he closed it. It went closed on new years day and was out there new years day pounding up the signs.

13-May-16

Naz 's Link
SUBJECT: Gov. Scott Walker highlights environmental, economic benefits of Good Neighbor Authority agreement

http://dnr.wi.gov/news/releases/article/?id=3959

First timber cut and storm salvage operation demonstrate value of state-federal partnership

HAYWARD, Wis. - A groundbreaking agreement gained by Gov. Scott Walker's administration to facilitate forestry management and watershed work in the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest is being put into action with the first timber cut and salvage operation now underway in the 1.5 million acre forest.

As part of the Good Neighbor Authority agreement between the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources and U.S. Forest Service, Wisconsin is pioneering the expanded authority granted by Congress that allows states across the country to build on the good work being accomplished by the U.S. Forest Service. The agreement, which includes expanded forest management and watershed restoration activities on federal lands, promises to support jobs while improving wildlife habitat and water quality.

Left, Mike Martin, district ranger for the Great Divide Ranger District, Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest and Jim Kujala, DNR forester, stand near the site of the first timber cut under the Good Neighbor Authority.

"This first project provides an excellent example of what we can accomplish for the environment and the economy," said Gov. Scott Walker. "The winning bid for the project was awarded to a local employer to remove timber damaged in a windstorm. The wood itself has real value. The Good Neighbor Authority agreement enables the DNR to add to USFS resources, speed the contracting process, harvest the wood and help the forest recover. The USFS staff continues work on other projects, with the partnership resulting in more work being done on the ground."

The first bid opening for timber sales under the Good Neighbor Authority was held April 20 with a total of 30 companies bidding on eight different sales. The awarded sales total 8.2 million board feet of national forest timber.

Some of the first sales included timber salvage from areas damaged during a September 2014 windstorm in Ashland, Sawyer and Price Counties. Among the sales was a 124 acre project on the Great Divide Ranger District that was awarded to FutureWood Corp. of Hayward for $69,080. Known as the Weasel Creek sale, it included a variety of wind damaged timber such as aspen and northern hardwoods.

"This first sale shows the potential to work with a variety of partners in support of the U.S. Forest Service to achieve the goals and management objectives outlined in the approved federal management plan for the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest," said DNR Secretary Cathy Stepp. "We are grateful to Gov. Walker and the Legislature for appropriating funding that has enabled us to move aggressively with our federal partners to implement this new authority."

The first Good Neighbor project agreement allows DNR, its partners, counties and consulting foresters to prepare, award and administer 25 million board feet of timber sales in the national forest. These timber sales come from projects that have already been through the environmental analysis and public involvement process but not yet prepared by Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest staff.

The timber sales will cover portions of the forest in Oconto, Forest, Vilas, Bayfield, Sawyer, Price and Ashland counties. Future projects will include not only timber sales, but other conservation projects such as wildlife habitat improvement and invasive species management. A second round of GNA timber sales will be advertised and awarded this summer.

The first Good Neighbor project agreement allows DNR, its partners, counties and consulting foresters to prepare, award and administer 25 million board feet of timber sales in the national forest. Here, the first tree is being cut in northeast Sawyer County. Photo Credit: DNR

In addition to making more wood available to Wisconsin's important forest products industry - an industry that supports 60,000 jobs and provides $4 billion in annual wages - the agreement will help create and maintain healthy forest conditions prescribed in the 2004 Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest Land Management Plan. A portion of the receipts from the timber sales will reimburse the state for its costs to do the work, with remaining funds available for use in conducting additional forest restoration activities in the future.

The Good Neighbor Authority (www.fs.fed.us/farmbill/gna.shtml - exit DNR) was authorized in the 2014 Farm Bill for the Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management. Good Neighbor Authority allows the Forest Service to enter into agreements or contracts with states for the performance of forest, rangeland and watershed restoration services on National Forest System lands.

To learn more about the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest and its Forest Plan and activities, visit: www.fs.usda.gov/main/cnnf/home (exit DNR) and navigate to "Land & Resource Management. More information about Wisconsin's forest management can be found by searching the DNR website, dnr.wi.gov, for keyword "forestry."

13-May-16
MI also has the same act, ...... lots and lots of trees marked, in Forest and Florence Co...... lots of work to do.......

young forests are needed badly, animals flourish in that type of environment.........

its a good thing, and will make the future of our woods, brighter

13-May-16
Razor, the Act or agreement is from the Feds so it covers the entire 50 States. Just depends if the States want to participate. It was a part of the 2014 Farm Bill.

13-May-16
yes I know and MI has embraced it.... There have been recent articles in the paper, on how it will improve the western UP.... There has been some discussion on the radio, on how the forest should be managed,,,,,

26-May-16
I hunt right on the edge of county land and National Forest and the difference is like night and day. Bayfield Co. has done a fair amount of logging the past decade and have logged pretty aggressively the past two years.

Meanwhile, nothing is happening in the National Forest. It's often just drive-by country on the way to the county land. It's beautiful country and a little logging would create some tremendous hunting opportunities. There are so many good looking spots on the topos, but it's all old-growth with no understory and very few deer. A lot of hunters are crowding the areas with logging for good reasons. Start logging in the NF and hunting pressure will be more evenly spread out and wildlife wins too.

26-May-16
Musky,,,, I had a deer camp from 1979 to 1994, in Bayfield Co, off of the Lake Owen Rd, and my hunting area was around Star Lake, and Nymphia Lake and Perch Lake etc....... We had 6 guys all still good friends, one died......

We have literally walls of mounts shot there,,,, mostly gun, as we tended to bow hunt close to our home, and there were not many bowhunters than in our home grounds,,,,,,

The USFS, cutted like crazy, constantly taking out timber, in large chunks, the forest was managed so well, and the cover was such, that the bucks could survive.

No baiting, to predators, etc.... it was Nirvana,,,, I almost, and I said almost bought a home by Grandview, since I shot some nice bears there also,,,,,

than came, to tree hugging mentality, predators, baiters, atvs, you name it, and it all changed,,,,,

We shot 5 bucks that scored over 175 in that camp, the largest a double drop tine, 12, a non typical that scored in the 180's.

It was killed by a friend, who never set a stand, just looked at his marble compass on his coat, and took off for the day......

that camp the stories, the adventure, etc, well I could go on and on,,,,,, I shot my biggest buck on Rogers Creek, and it took me 7 hours to get it out,,,,,,,,

I am sure it is still good, but it shows, what it could be again, if we would get the commercialization out of deer hunting, find our roots and get our head out of our a....

26-May-16
Well said Razor.

MuskyBuck, you don't have to say but I wonder where in Bayfield you are hunting. I know of some Fed lands that have been logged but then I ain't tellin' ;-)

Things are changing for the better on USFS land as far as logging goes so hang in there.

01-Jun-16
Smokey-I am hunting north central part of county on the very northern edge of the CNF. Without being too specific...on the right ridge with minimal obstructions, I can sometimes see Lake Superior. Beautiful area.

The county website has good information on county land logging with maps. I like to use it to see where the cuts are, what species are present, and when it was cut (or will be cut). Can't say that I blame you on keeping those logging spots on Fed lands secret. However, giving up a spot or two would be much appreciated. ;) Yes, hunting should improve real soon.

Razor-Great synopsis of what has happened in the northwoods. Some really exceptional bucks have come out of your camp. My background is very similar to yours with our deer camp around Herbster. Camp was founded in the 40's by a friend's grandfather, but has sat empty for several years. The guys are getting older, interest is waning, and the sons and grandsons are content hunting lots of deer and some really good ones in the Iola area.

When I first started bowhunting up there in the 1980's, there was NO bowhunting pressure, very little baiting or predators, and private land was not posted. I shot the first buck, a nice mature 9 pointer, out of the camp with a bow in late 80's and when I took it to town to register, several locals were amazed that I shot it with a bow, I felt like a celebrity!

Some really nice bucks have been taken out of camp, and some even better stories of the big one that got away. The biggest being a 170's NT and another brute that was "only" 150", but it's weight (249#), how it was tracked down, and how I missed that same buck the year before broadside at 15 yards is a story for another time. We all still laugh about that memory. Down the road, a few miles away, a double drop-tine buck was found dead that scored around 230" if memory serves me correct. It is amazing how big bucks can grow in that part of the state if harvest, predators, and timber are well managed.

I miss the camp with all the anticipation, traditions and comaraderie. I still hunt the area and will until I physically can't. But, hunting alone out of a hotel room just isn't the same. I hope to convince my friend that it is worth the four hour drive again so that we can get a few hunters back at camp. We'll see...

I am starting to bring my kids with me now and hope to pass on the love of hunting and the challenge and beauty of the wilderness hunt.

01-Jun-16
Musky.... let me tell you the north could be that good again, but it would take a lot of work,,,,, just look at the namby pamby cdac groups,,,,,, forest county got it right, no doe killing PERIOD, BY ANYONE.....

Florence County will never recover, with their constant appeasement, to make it easy for everyone....

I hear ya, this year I have great invitations to hunt Waupaca County, last year I shot a monster in Washington County, but it was not the same,,,,,,,,

keep your camp, do not ever let it go,,,,,,, there is a reason I am now in the UP,

its frustrating to say the least, but there are great bucks in the north,

it is a different hunt, and if I have to explain it to someone, they would never understand,,,,,,,

• Sitka Gear