Bucks_n_Gobblers 20-May-16
Bloodtrail 20-May-16
RJN 20-May-16
RutnStrut 20-May-16
razorhead 20-May-16
Bloodtrail 20-May-16
RutnStrut 21-May-16
16-May-16
I have been turkey hunting at a specific WI public property for five years. On average about ten days a year. Last year was the best, toms everywhere. This year after hunting 8 full days it's quite obvious the population has been reduced by approx. 75%. And there are coyote holes EVERYWHERE. Last evening from my blind I saw a coyote stalking two hens. I've never seen such a huge swing in one year. For the first time in 5 years I failed to fill a tag, actually two, this season. Where last year I saw 10 toms in my best travel lane, this year I see either zero or one. Took me a while but I finally have two toms patterned and should be able to take both within two days. I have two last season F tags, but there are so few toms part of me doesn't want to harvest these. Also, I have seen zero jakes in my eight days of hunting.

I don't varmint hunt, but I'm assuming coyotes are fair game on Wisconsin public land. I'm curious if any of you have witnessed this big a population swing this year and if WDNR will do anything to intervene, or just let nature take it's course. Also curious if you would hunt the two birds or just ice those tags. Thanks.

16-May-16
You saw the yote stalking hens - did you take him out? If not, you're contributing to the lack of turkeys (and fawns) in your area.

16-May-16
Zim1 there could be many reasons why you don't have the birds this year. I see birds come and go every year. They're heavy and then the next they're gone. Maybe you can tell us what the layout of the property is like. Has there been a select cut on or around the property in the past? Something has changed. Birds are use to predators. Wild animals will adapt to their surroundings. Some lose but not all.

If you feel that is the answer to the problem, then why shoot two of them? Even if your lucky enough to get that. Also, If you are a land owner, than make it turkey friendly. They'll be back..

16-May-16
Yotes are fair game 24/7/365

Varmint control should be a priority

16-May-16
Sorry about your luck. I've seen 40+ birds every day for the last month, on the 40 acres next to my house(Wash Cty).

Only one other hunter that I know of that hunts turkeys in the square mile + around my home. All the landowners in our area, won't think twice about eliminating those rabies infested mutts either.

You stated you've filled a tag or tag(s) the last 5 years, and you don't take out coyotes that you know are on the property.

How many other hunters are there? Do you have any idea how many dogs you're dealing with?

My two cents...forget the turkeys for a year and drop the hammer on the coyotes.

16-May-16
Well, I can certainly relate to this topic on many levels. I hunt a spot I am very very familiar with. I know for a fact there were 14 toms that went into the winter. I know for a fact there were 14 toms that survived the same winter. There were 18 jakes. I know these numbers simply because it's private land, I have plenty of time to scout, and it's not 3 minutes from my home.

With that said, I feel the same way as the original poster, that the coyotes are a problem. I saw the same coyotes hunting he saw, and we shot a female which was the only chance we had at one. I found 7 turkey feet on this property, and that was not looking for them, and that was only in an open field, and not at all where they roost. I believe the coyotes are on a high right now. I know they are actively hunting the birds, because I saw it first hand, and these turkeys are avoiding the edges unlike years past.

the turkeys are still there, they are just acting different while avoiding the hunters. Unfortunately, I'm one of the hunters they are avoiding simply because I'm hunting those same edges they are avoiding. We kill every coyote we see, no matter what we are hunting. It's the sacrifice you need to make as the alpha hunter, if you want to keep your competition managed. I believe you have to kill 75% of the coyote population to put a dent on them, and we are certainly not accomplishing these goals. I've killed 5 coyotes in a handful of years, and do not actively hunt them. I'm going to attempt to start hunting them after deer season however.

We still are 100% on tags so far, I've shot two, and hope to fill a 3rd on the last season, with four toms patterned pretty good right now. So they are still killable, just changing tactics a bit. I do feel like our population took a dive, but I feel like the hens are where the numbers dropped. I also attribute that to the very harsh winter we had a couple years back. They bounce back fast. Used to have around 200 birds in our winter flock, and we are now down to less than 100. Of course some little groups are spreading out and occupying new land, new food sources, and new roosts, making up their own family structures. That's what turkeys do....especially those who receive heavy hunting pressure. We do not hunt the land these turkeys roost on. There is a sanctuary of 120 acres that they receive NO pressure. We hunt the fringes of their safe zone, and it's worked for many years.

As far as shooting those two birds? I'm really not sure if you only have two birds. Our birds were anything but typical this year with cold and warm and cold and warm weather. If I thought for one minute I was taking the last two birds from the flock, and there were jakes to help out next season, I'd be forced to pass. We shoot no more than 6 birds from this property, leaving roughly half the birds to breed and live another day. We also look at the jakes we have. I know we had 18 jakes that survived the winter. That's right about exact where we are every year, so I think what we are doing is working.

16-May-16

Pete-pec's embedded Photo
18 jakes and 8 toms in this pic opening day. Already we have the winter flock split into three bachelor groups. This I would call the subordinate group because there are 18 jakes in this photo as well. There were 2 other separate groups seen. One with 4 boss toms and a large group of hens, and another group with two toms and an even greater amount of hens.

16-May-16
My son nailed a coyote last turkey season.... smelled like a skunk. Would like to go again but taking care of wife after surgery. Might get tag for last season or go fishing . Life if good.

16-May-16
"You saw the yote stalking hens - did you take him out? If not, you're contributing to the lack of turkeys (and fawns) in your area."

That would be very illegal for a nonresident unless he had a furbearer license or was hunting on property he owns.

16-May-16

14 toms before the winter while bow hunting.

16-May-16

Opening day turkey season. In my opinion a better kill than a big old longbeard! Actively hunting. I called her in from 200 yards.

16-May-16
The population is way down in much of the state. But the DNR will continue to sell a crap load of tags.

16-May-16
"You saw the yote stalking hens - did you take him out? If not, you're contributing to the lack of turkeys (and fawns) in your area."

I watched this from a quarter mile away through my binoculars. Slightly out of my range.

16-May-16
I don't know my birds as well as pete-pec but I think mine are down too...

In the past, i could see 40-60 birds in the winter flock. This year, it looked like 10-15. There were probably other flocks too but that's a reduction.

I also agree that the biggest hit was a harsh winter a few years ago. There was a LOT of freezing rain, snow, and very cold weather. I think that combination is very hard on turkeys.

My flock is weird this year. It is pretty late in the season. I had a group of 10 jakes pass by the other day. I saw another group of 6. So I have plenty of toms for next year.

I haven't seen very many hens this year. That concerns me a bit. But I think they are just more elusive. I'm hoping that they are around but just not out in the open like the toms.

16-May-16
"You stated you've filled a tag or tag(s) the last 5 years, and you don't take out coyotes that you know are on the property.

How many other hunters are there? Do you have any idea how many dogs you're dealing with?

My two cents...forget the turkeys for a year and drop the hammer on the coyotes."

I just said I don't varmint hunt. In fact, during the last five years I've not had one coyote within range of my weapon (bow & scattergun). So that would not have mattered.

I don't know how many other hunters turkey hunt this property because I am a nonresident and typically can only get season E & F tags. I don't know how many folks hunt it during the first 4 seasons.

16-May-16
"I also agree that the biggest hit was a harsh winter a few years ago. There was a LOT of freezing rain, snow, and very cold weather. I think that combination is very hard on turkeys."

This is in southern Wisconsin. That winter really had no effect on this public land, because the highest turkey population by far was in 2015. I expect that is what attracted all the yotes recently.

16-May-16
turkey hunting is like a lot of hunting, how much pressure..... like mentioned above, 40birds a day in Wash Co,,,,, that must be an area with little pressure......

NE corner of Wash Co, on the border, I see toms also every day, they are very wired, and will tolerate nothing,,,, reason is simple pressure,,,,,,,,

have an area outside of Cascade, landowner, lets one guy a year hunt, which is me this year, neighbors allow no hunting, on the border with state kettle land, I hate to tell you how easy these birds are, compared to the public......

I am pumped for Wed........southern Wis is a big area, your a little vague on your area, what county

16-May-16
Turkeys like many other critters are on the menu for many different predators.

Is the coyote the number one problem? Perhaps!

But do not let us forget about our ground feeders, raccoons, opossum and skunks! Not to mention the occasional Fisher!

These vermin account for more eggs gobbled (no pun) down each year. Thankfully, hens can re-nest without being bred a second time, but it still takes it toll.

So between all those predators...it's hard to make a living as a turkey.

And what about the weather?

From killing winters to wet/cold springs (nesting/poults), weather takes it toll. But you and I can not do much about that!

What we can do is stay vigilant on predator control.

Numbers are down in my area as well.

I am seeing a slight increase however and landowners are reporting more sightings overall.

My suggestion...cross your fingers and while your doing that, treat the local predators to a "dirt nap" every chance you get - legally that is! :^)

16-May-16
I am not a biologist, but have 40+ years of outdoors experience. It does not take a rocket scientist nor a wildlife biologist to see the sheer quantity of coyote holes is obscene at this property this year. I really don't think I'm going out on any limb with my diagnosis as to the cause of this turkey collapse.

16-May-16
Zim1, Both Mad_Angler and myself live and hunt in southern Wisconsin, and I'm here to tell you that the winter was damn harsh here. I know it to be the case. If I told you a coyote hunter found 167 dead birds under the roosting trees not 20 miles from my home, would you believe that the winter was harsh? I live here. There was nothing to feed on. Weed seeds were about it. Some survived of course, but I'm confident over half the flock died of the cold and starvation. Did predators have an impact? You're damn right! I don't doubt that you have a coyote problem, and it could certainly be your issue.

16-May-16
There is still a fair amount of birds in zone 1 but there are the same guys shooting 3,4,5 Tom's a season. Only a matter of time when the resource is depleted. The dnr will always sellas many tags as possible. $$$

16-May-16
"Zim1, Both Mad_Angler and myself live and hunt in southern Wisconsin, and I'm here to tell you that the winter was damn harsh here. I know it to be the case. If I told you a coyote hunter found 167 dead birds under the roosting trees not 20 miles from my home, would you believe that the winter was harsh? I live here. There was nothing to feed on. Weed seeds were about it. Some survived of course, but I'm confident over half the flock died of the cold and starvation. Did predators have an impact? You're damn right! I don't doubt that you have a coyote problem, and it could certainly be your issue."

All the posts I read with regards to weather being a possible cause reference a "biggest hit was a harsh winter a few years back". I understand weather can play a big role. However, I clearly mentioned "That winter really had no effect on this public land, because the highest turkey population by far was in 2015". So the winter a few year back was definitely not a cause of this year's problem. I didn't see anyone post that this past winter was unusually harsh. Was that the case?

16-May-16
Hey - not just about the winter. Spring can and does kill many young little turkeys. Cold and wet weather takes it's toll. Who, What, When, Where and Why varies from landscape to landscape.

Not a turkeyologist and don't play one on TV - rarely if ever is it a single cause that contributes in any way to a decline.

Outside of weather, if it was - not a complicated fix.

Overall as a group, we suck at coyote control. Some of us step up to the plate, but most don't care enough to make a difference. If the opportunity presents itself, sure they'll take a shot - but overall we stink.

P.S.: Last winter was a great winter - mild here in West Central! NOW - it can warm up and bring short warm rains.

I had 20 degrees on Sunday - not good for turkeys or fawns.

16-May-16
No, nobody posted that this last winter was harsh, but how can you say that your area wasn't affected when ours was a couple winters ago? It was the same winter we had. I'm saying that because you happened to have had a good season, or saw more turkeys in 2015, doesn't mean there wasn't a decline caused by weather. Matter of fact I'd bet your birds suffered like many populations did. You could have had a little bumper crop that was actually an anomaly, just like your lack of sightings could be the same anomaly on the other end of the spectrum? Once again, I'd bet that coyotes, skunks, coons, etc., had an impact on your birds. The lack of sightings comparing only one year to the next isn't a fair assumption, showing only coyotes alone as the only reason. No hens, no toms to court them. If you had an already depleted flock in 2015, and took out three toms during the wrong time of the year (breeding), you in fact were a predator with some impact. I don't pretend to be a biologist either, but your take has to be limited to a factor considering how many birds you started with. If you were simply coming here and learning the flock in a few hunts, I'm just not sure you have enough data to know exactly what reduced your numbers?

It could be food location moved, roosting location interrupted too often, pressure from other hunters, predation, your individual take including other hunters, weather including the weather during nesting and laying as well as predation during laying. Of course coyotes are bad on birds. I see it here, but I'd still say that the winter a few years back was the biggest impact on this particular flock I do know well. I live here. I hunt here. It's private land. I have exclusivity, and I have the time to watch them, as well as many years of data.

Kill those yotes, but remember that we are the alpha dog with modern weapons in our hands. We are not too hungry that we cannot pass on a limited flock, and find a new place to hunt when things go south. Good luck!

16-May-16
Most that I talked to that hunt zone 6-7 are saying the same thing. #'s are down.

17-May-16
Turkey will avoid the coyotes...the coyote need to be very sneaky in order to get one. I have witnessed on many occasions a coyote come upon some turkeys then the turkeys just fly away or up in a tree once it came with 20 yards of them. Coyote left, they flew back down! (I even have video of it)

I have hunted the same area for many years..I know there are turkeys there - sometimes they stay on the neighboring property and I don't see them and sometimes they come over and I see them every time I hunt. Birds move and split up once the spring season comes!!!!

This is why it is called HUNTING!!! Why is it when people don't see game every second of their hunt do they complain and moan...oh numbers are down etc....c'mon!

18-May-16
Nowhere did I complain nor moan. You are clearly dreaming. I've harvested enough turkey over the years these days I'm happy enjoying the woods and the weather, hiking, taking photos and video. I even mentioned I can harvest two of the few birds if I want. I have them patterned. But I posted asking opinions if I should, given the low numbers. I even emailed the county biologist about it. I just want to do the right thing. And I'd like to make the biologist aware of the situation in case he's not.

18-May-16
I appreciate your concern. Your a good sportsman Zim.

18-May-16
"Why is it when people don't see game every second of their hunt do they complain and moan...oh numbers are down etc....c'mon!"

Turkey numbers are down drastically pretty much statewide. If you can't/don't see that, you obviously don't spend much time hunting them.

18-May-16
Turkey numbers have been down for many years. That's if you compare the population to around the year 2000. Just my opinion, some may disagree.

18-May-16
"Turkey numbers have been down for many years. That's if you compare the population to around the year 2000."

Very true, and they are even down considerably from that the last 3-4 years.

18-May-16
Right now there are 6 in the corn I planted this morning,2 are in full Strut after a hot Hen.Maybe tomorrow morning?

19-May-16
"If you can't/don't see that, you obviously don't spend much time hunting them." Sorry, I have been hunting them since the early 90's.

Number fluctuate... sorry, when I drive anywhere in the state...hwy 29, hwy 10 hwy 41 etc I see plenty of turkeys to hunt. Maybe they are down but considerably down?? Dont' see it!

Only place I see them down is up north and that is due to locals and others shooting ALL of them off seasons. I am not saying some predators don't get them as well.

I remember the days when only place there were turkeys in WI was in the west part of the state....

I just think a lot of hunters think they should be coming out of the woodwork!

19-May-16
Every time I check my trail cameras there are so many turkeys it looks like a biblical plague. Seriously, they're dang near a nuisance where I hunt.

19-May-16
I use a two prong approach to counting turkey numbers in my area.

1). Sightings

2). Gobbling

Based upon the above two - yes, numbers are down and have been for sometime.

The only period I did not hunt was the 4th period (D) -

BNG - There was a time when they were coming out of the woodwork - no longer!

Long for those days again!

19-May-16
I have been seeing a plethora on my way to and from jobs lately. I haven't been north in a long time but my b.i.l in Jackson co. Had an easy season this year.

19-May-16
I see quite a few deer when I drive up north. So by BnG's logic their numbers must not be down up there either. But those of us that get out of the car and HUNT or work the land know better.

20-May-16
RutNStrut... if I was just basing it on driving and not hunting then you can say that..not sure you got the point that I hunt too! Take my opinion for what is worth, an opinion. And yes, in some areas of the state, deer number aren't down!

I for one don't complain when I don't see game around every corner...if I don't like it then I don't shoot the does, the hens in fall etc. I just think we are partly to blame too, not just the predators and DNR.

Bloodtrail - don't disagree - are they down compared to a bit ago yes but there are still plenty of turkeys out there. I guess that is all I am trying to get at. As for gobbling. I have noticed even when I see turkeys or know where they are roosted etc the gobbling has been down all together. Once they hit the ground now a days they aren't as vocal as they used to be. As stupid as a turkey can be..I think they are adapting as well to the pressure.

20-May-16
BNG -

Good point -

I base my numbers on gobbles from the roost and locations of those gobbles as they are spread across the landscape.

Seasons (Periods) 1 & 2, you can hear a gobble a country mile and then some on clear, crisp cold mornings!

We all know there are those rare mornings that a gobbler(s) for whatever reason will not gobble, even on the roost. Rare, but does happen.

Most often, you cannot stop a gobbler from gobbling off the roost. Once on the ground, it's a different story.

20-May-16
I never seen a turkey all winter and we ended up shooting 3 toms. Just like deer, they congregate in certain areas and then spread out when breeding begins.

20-May-16
My budddies and I spend a ton of boots on the ground time in the counties we hunt. We have all passed up Toms this season because we know how low the population is. Had we been hunting with a newbie or one of our kids the decision would have been up to them. Numbers are down, and drastically in some areas. I'm not saying that they are extinct in those areas. Just way lower than they have been. When I get the majority of landowners in a 10 mile area asking me if we are seeing a lot less turkeys, I know numbers are down. That's just one of many areas I hunt. On the upside numbers seem to be decent on a few public spots I hunt here in Chippewa county.

20-May-16
There are a lot of birds by my house,,,,, Wed nit I saw over 12 toms, and some big ones, and lots of hens, by an area, down the road from my house,,,,, however the landowner, allows no hunting, so all I can do is watch them......

The surrounding areas, are pressured big time, I mean you still get them, but you have to hunt, and lots of competition..... I have neighbors who between the 3 of them, have like 7 tags, so they are out all the time, pounding the same areas.......

I would say the birds in 2, in the N Kettle Moraine, are in very good shape, some areas are better than others, but prime private land, is a deal breaker.

I have a tag for this week, but my wife had rotator cup surgery yesterday, and recovery is rough, so I am homebound, for my tag time

20-May-16
We shoot Toms Rut, we pass jakes and hens as well (bearded) - When in 5th and 6th periods the majority of the breeding is done.

In fact - the last 2 weeks a simple hen was very hard to spot - nesting is hot and heavy!

I shot a gobbler at 9:10 AM today and just minutes prior spotted a hen hot footing across the same field, she paid me absolutely no attention!

Fortunately for me, the gobbler paid real good attention!

We will see some good numbers again if the weather holds out for a couple of years now.

So far the nesting season has been a good one in our area.

21-May-16
Congrats on the Tom BT. We usually don't pass toms. But after hunting these areas and seeing firsthand how decimated the population is, it's something we do. Funny thing is none of us had talked to each other about doing it. It's just something we decided in season. I did have a trespasser sneak onto our land in Pierce county and kill one. Well I found the pile of feathers and the matted down grass where they set up anyway. It seems they always know when I'm away.

• Sitka Gear